What's new

New Sony DVD/SACD players announced (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Read all about it....here.

Geez....kind of disappointed Sony didn't release more SACD-capable players. Maybe in their ES line??

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Danny, thanks for sharing the news!

From the Sony press release:

DVP-NC685V - Incorporating multi-channel SACD playback and Precision Cinema Progressive™, the 5-disc changer produces unsurpassed audio and video performance. The model also offers simple navigation and disc management with such features as 40-disc resume memory and picture navigation. It will be available in August for about $250.
It's about time Sony releases a replacement for the 'NC650V. Better late than never I sometimes say. :)

I too am disappointed to see just a couple DVD/SACD players, but I like what Sony will be releasing, at least on paper. The prices look great too.

Now, is Sony going to release any new non-DVD SACD players?

TimothyE

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if these "superior" DVD players will finally be chroma bug free? Oh, why get my hopes up...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Timothy, if Sony says the new players are going to be superior, then it must be true. :D

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I hope the new ES line sports some impressively built SACD-only players with all-DSD-all-the-time DSP chips for adjustable digital bass management and time delay. With an industry-wide compatible digital link too. Everything, but the digital link has been hinted at.

SACD should be available as audio only devices on into the future in order to put all the extra effort into the AUDIO side of the chain.

Dan

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
SACD should be available as audio only devices on into the future in order to put all the extra effort into the AUDIO side of the chain.
For audiophiles and other audio fans they have this in the ES line-the 999ES has terrific SACD playback. For mass market people expect both DVD and Audio options in one low-cost package. :)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Lee,

One player from Sony at the US$250 price point is not enough. After all, this is supposed to be mass market now.

The megachanger has a limited audience, and multi-channel SACD should have been included in its 300 disc predecessor that was announced at CEDIA 2002.

Not exactly a groundswell of support from the formats originator, with only 2 SACD capable players in the new lineup announcement.

Regards,

Mark All

Second Unit
A 400-disc capacity megachanger that plays CD, CD-R, MP3, progressive scan DVD video, and SACD; has an MSRP of $400; and will be available in time for the holidays? As a mass market move, Sony's announcement seems amazingly good to me. The company is a primarily a mass marketer after all. I use two of their CD-only megachangers (non-ES) now and haven't had any problems with them. Now if only there were 400 SACDs worth putting in the new machine. ;)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Now, is Sony going to release any new non-DVD SACD players?
Maybe in the ES line? I sure am glad I picked up my 222ES when I did, as the trends clearly are going towards DVD/SACD players and all in one units. Are new ES line annoucements coming soon as well?

J

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Maybe in the ES line? I sure am glad I picked up my 222ES when I did, as the trends clearly are going towards DVD/SACD players and all in one units.
Jeez, Justin, there is no pleasing you. Sony offers great sounding SACD and DVD combo players and you gripe about no pure audio units. If Sony only had audio units, you would be complaining about no DVD capability.

It just shows that you will never like what Sony does. And you call me biased.

I for one like the ability to do both which is why I am considering a 999ES for the living room.

As long as the audio portion sounds great, who cares?

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
with only 2 SACD capable players in the new lineup announcement.
I am not sure why this is such a big deal John since we are not including the current or expected ES offerings. In a prior post I found something like 6 or 8 current SACD players on the Sony Electronics site.

As with all announcements, there is plenty of time for current inventory to turn over so there is plenty of opportunity for consumers to buy the current low cost offerings which have been as low as $180.

Also, Sony is not phasing out the all in one systems which are Super Audio as well.

So there are lots of Sony models out there no matter what financial position you are in.

I am sure as the format builds we will see more offerings from people like Pioneer and Denon and others at lower price points.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I think the announcement is terrific, and I'm very interested in the 400-disc megachanger w/ SACD capability. I agree that it's great that Sony is putting SACD in players of different price categories, giving everyone an opportunity to sample the technology.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
It just shows that you will never like what Sony does. And you call me biased.
Whoa there. I wonder about audio only players which I am interested in and now I am anti-Sony biased (hmm, I own a Sony TV, Sony SACD player, Sony receiver in my second system, Sony DVD player, Sony alarm clock, Sony computer monitor...upon further review I guess I am anti-Sony biased). There is a difference between being objective and being a pure lap dog.

J

Mark All

Second Unit
(hmm, I own a Sony TV, Sony SACD player, Sony receiver in my second system, Sony DVD player, Sony alarm clock, Sony computer monitor...upon further review I guess I am anti-Sony biased).
No Justin,
You and I are Mr. Morita's lapdogs--you just haven't realized it yet. :D

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
there has been talk of ES product announcements in late spring/summer.
Thanks for finally answering my original question Lee as to when ES players might be coming (albeit sidetracked by some tirade about me being anti-sony biased....cranky aren't we). Honestly this is all that interests me on the SACD front, though a 400 disc player is tempting. I will probably hold off on a SACD or DVD-A mega changer until we get a universal model down the road.

J

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't anyone see the irony here:

a 400 disc, MP3 capable, DVD/*SACD* player?

Somehow, I wouldn't expect to find "audiophile" performance in a unit like this...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks