What's new

Personal pet peeve (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Do you get this??

I have this coworker from work that calls people, me included, "guy". As in "How's it going, guy?" or "Hey, guy!" Oh, he knows these people by name, but it's as if he doesn't respect you enough to call you by your first name. Instead, he merely acknowledge your existence by calling you "guy" but stop short of acknowledging you specifically.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like he's just being friendly. Some people say "man," others say "dude." Your co-worker says "guy." Just his way.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
There's a lady in my office that also overuses "Guy" in her address to almost any of the males in the office.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Yeah man, I usually come in to work and go yo, yo, yo babies, what's crack-a-lackin'? but they all know I mean Hi, how are you today ladies?.

Seriously, I have heard the "guy" usuage. Although a bit dated and a minor annoyance, I'm sure he means nothing. As harmless as some of the freedom rock language that floats around here with 45 and up technicians.

Keep on Truckin' :emoji_thumbsup:

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I think it all depends on from whom it comes. I used to have a boss who always called me "buddy." I hated it, mainly because of the way he did it in a plasticky "I really don't give a crap how you are" sort of way. It was transparent. I don't mind it when someone actually means it, though.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
There's a Pizza place I go to and ALL of the guys that work there call you "Boss". :D What's up Boss, What'll it be Boss, Do you want cheese on that Boss, Here ya go Boss!

LOL

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Yeah, "chief" has the biggest cringe factor for me,
but
I overuse "man" and "bud"...just terms of endearment to me.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
Hey Guy.... I mean Danny

So you don't feel alone, I do understand what you mean. I do think there is some sort of etiquette when it comes to interaction with coworkers. IMO i think its rude to call somebody by the moniker "guy" and i have always associated that term with not learning somebody's proper name.

Paul

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I have a problem with a couple female co-workers. If I ever refer to them as 'she' they freak out. I don't get it!?!?!?

Example, the 2 women are named Stacey and Andrea, and if I'm talking to Andrea, I'll say something like "So I was talking to Stacey and we decided to go to McDonalds for lunch, but then she (referring to Stacey) remembered that she couldn't go"...then Stacey would jump all over me for referring to her as 'she'. WTF? The same thing goes with Andrea, they both make me feel like I'm totally disrespecting them (and they act offended) if I don't refer to them by their proper names at ALL times.

Sometimes, things just go TOO far.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i find myself using "dude" quite a bit, but mostly only with people i'm really close with. i don't think they're taking it the wrong way...they just know how kick back i am with just about everything.

it's just the way i am...and i don't mean any malice.

however, i must admit to playing "the name game" with people whose names i don't remember. as in, "hey dude...how'z it going?" or "hey bud...wassup?"

Mark Brewer

Stunt Coordinator
Worked at a place where one of the women there called the guy's "Honey" all the time. The guys didn't mind cause she was old enough to be there mom and fisty enough to kick their butts.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, i had one customer call me 'guy'...

'Hey guy, this doesnt fit, canya get a different size'

Didnt realize he was talkin to me at first lol

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for everyone's comments....actually quite funny :D Thanks for your support, Paul.

I can deal with "Dude", "Man", "Honey", "Sweetheart", "Danny Boy", "Dan the Man", and even "Book'im Dan-O", but "Guy" really drives me up the wall. Makes me cringe just typing this....

By the way, the coworker in question also uses "My Friend" a lot....as in "You better revise those numbers, my friend." or "How come I never received that e-mail, my friend?"

Anyone get the "My Friend" at work??

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I have a co-worker who puts a "Mr." in front of every males first name. Good morning Mr. Carl. Do you have yesterdays reports Mr. Carl?

And then there's the one that makes me want to tape this guys mouth shut with duct tape. If you miss a day, the next day you're back at work he says "Oh, look who it is, it's Mr. Carl."

:rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks