What's new

So will the Xbox DVD be progressive scan or not!? (1 Viewer)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Well that's disappointing. I guess I'll have to re-think my gaming platform now. I was leaning towards the Gamecube because of Rare, Capcom and a few others but if the Xbox had progressive scan playback I would have jumped all over it.
Hmmm... what to do....
------------------
BLAM!
Good, bad...I'm the guy with the gun.
Check out my movie mural here... http://www.geocities.com/superfacehu...ater_Page.html

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think progressive scan was what did it for me, but the supposed ability to scale DVDs to 1080i was intriguing.
Keep in mind that games will be able to be played at 1080i!! That's a big resolution bonus over 480p gaming. So at least on the eye candy level, the xbox looks very promising.
As for progressive scan, your best option was/is/will always be to buy a separate DVD player. Same with the PS2; get it, but you can probably do better as a DVD player with a $250 dedicated player. I, for one, have 2 players already; the Xbox will be redundant as a DVD player. I would think that most people on this board already have some DVD player; progessive scan prices are dropping like a brick; without a doubt, everyone on this board will have one (one way or another) in a year or so anyway.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I have a DVD player but I was hoping that the Xbox DVD capabilities would be an upgrade in quality. I'm buying a new gaming platform regardless but I was hoping to get a DVD upgrade in the Xbox... Oh well...
I'l figure something out...
------------------
BLAM!
Good, bad...I'm the guy with the gun.
Check out my movie mural here... http://www.geocities.com/superfacehu...ater_Page.html

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
Do we have any official word on which games for the X-box will be Hi-Def? My understanding was that not every title would support that, it would have to be implemented by the developer. With all of the Microsoft garbage about progressive scan, I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped that feature too.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Just think of High-Def as an option, like support for racing wheels or lightguns. Some have it, some don't. I don't think many games (if any) have been announced with this feature.
I have 3 DVD players, a laptop with a DVD-Rom, and a PlayStation 2. I live in the ScootPlex 2000. To me, prog. scan isn't a selling point. One thing that I suggest is that people wait until they solidify on X-Box or GameCube. Yes, the XB has a buncha cool features and great graphics, but the games might not appeal to you, and you are stuck with this thing for a long time, so you will want to make sure you will like what you are stuck with. Same goes for the GameCube, but the only issue with that would be if you like the games or not (so pretty much anyone who wants a GameCube wants it because of its games). There are some games that I am looking forward to on PS2, GCN, and XB, and since I have this whole ScootPlex, the sole selling point for me is games. I really wish it would be like that for all of the consoles.

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
Microsoft's own executives are contributing to the confusion about this issue.
I point to Gamespot's recent interview with Ed Fries, vice president of Microsoft's games division. A transcript was posted to Gamespot.com today.
Here it is, clipped directly from Gamespot:
GS: Will the Xbox DVD have progressive scan capabilities?
EF: I'm not an expert on this, but my understanding is that there is progressive scan capability built in.
I realize this isn't confirmation, but it isn't a denial, either. Someone should state, publicly, whether XBox's initial DVD drivers will OR won't support progessive-scan playback. In those terms. Soon.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I could be wrong on this but to my knowlefge, Microsoft is not allowing any kind of patches for games and I would assume hardware also.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Capabilities and abilities are different things. The X-Box is capable of doing progressive scan, but its not going to, its not an ability. They are going all Bill Clinton with the word usage.
This shouldn't have been that strong of a selling point for people. The X-Box has a lot of features over the GCN that would make it desirable, but I don't think progressive scan was that big of one. I suggest people wait until we find out if it has it or not for sure 100% before they jump to XB or GCN (unless they are decided because of something else).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that you are paying $300 for a gaming console only. DVD features are extras and you don't get them with the console, which means that its not a big deal and was only included so that people who need DVD in a console can get it. You shouldn't buy a console because it has progressive scan DVD playback. I for one am happy that this feature isn't included because the console is a consoles, not a multimedia device. Having DVD in the first place ruined the idea of it being a console.
I don't think the inclusion of progressive scan is a big deal. Having it removed is just as unimportant.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I will admit that if the Xbox has progressive or not it won't hurt me, but, I would love the system to have it. It makes it seem that much more powerful to me. now, if they hadn't announced it then yes, everything would be fine but they did and now they took it away. It just bothers me, that's all.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Morgan, do you have to respond to everything that everybody has to say in every thread? Do you have an opinion on everything? Can at least call it your opinion? Are you sure you aren't really Jeremy Lancaster's kid? :)
quote: You shouldn't buy a console because it has progressive scan DVD playback. [/quote]
Morgan, I've been buying game consoles since 8 years before you were born. I love how you keep telling us what is the right or wrong reason to buy a console, or a game. :)
I mean this in the nicest way possible, but this is getting very, very old. I'll tell you what, once you work 60 hours a week to support a family and pay for the mortgage that puts the roof over your head, you can start telling us how our motives are wrong in what we do. Until then, you don't live in the real world, and your point of view on some matters just isn't applicable. You don't have the necessary point of reference. :)
Guess what, if you don't like the current trends of DVD player functionality being built into consoles, you better stick your head in the sand when the next generation comes out four years from now, because it's called convergence, and you are going to start seeing more and more functions moving into the same box. Deal with it! :)
[Edited last by Michael St. Clair on September 23, 2001 at 10:12 AM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Graeme-
The GameCube is DVD based and plays neither CDs nor DVDs. Granted, its too small, but if they removed a CD or DVD ability from consoles and lowered the prices, I'd be all for it. I have a standalone DVD player (or three) and a standalone CD player, so I have no need for a console that does either. Including it in a console is a good selling point, but MS tried specifically to separate its console from PCs and multimedia devices and create just a gaming console. Including DVD at all ruined that.
Dan-
Yes, including progressive scan would be a great thing. If they included it with the console and not made it separate, it would have been better. MS made a mistake by removing the feature altogether. It bothers me, too.
Michael-
If I have a response to something, I respond. I often point out that things are my opinions and are either based on my experience or what I have heard (if I have heard something, I make sure it is known that I am relaying what someone else said).
I'm Scooter Jolley's kid. I'm sure of that.
When I say the right or wrong reasons to buy a console or game, I am saying what I think are the right or wrong reasons. I'm not saying that they are facts or rules or anything, but rather what I think are the reasons.
I like the idea of DVD functions being in consoles. Its a great idea, especially when it is a separate ability that you can purchase. The problem I have is when someone says that they are making a GAMING console and they screw it up. The X-Box is a cheap PC that plays DVDs. Thats all. Yes, its powerful, but it doesn't just play games. If all it did was play games, then I would probably respect MS more on their decisions for it. They set out to make a GAMING console and even separated it from PCs and multimedia devices. Granted, its not like a PC, but the hardware is a lot closer to that of a PC than the PS2 or GameCube. The fact that it can even play DVDs makes it more than a gaming console, and MS lied to us about the DVD functions anyway.
DVD functions can converge with consoles all they want to. I have nothing wrong with it. Buying a PS2 with DVD functions is a good thing since that gives it a 4th function and its only $300. The X-Box is powerful and adding DVD just makes it better. The GCN doesn't have DVD, but its cheaper than the other two consoles, which is a plus for that.
If you want to buy the X-Box, then go ahead. I just think its wrong to buy an X-Box because of the DVD feature (which you have to buy separately) and then to not buy it because it doesn't have progressive scan. If you have a PSX and are looking at a PS2 or an X-Box, I would say go with the X-Box because you can play PSX games on your PSX, watch great looking DVD, listen to CDs, and play great looking next-gen games. I just think it would be wrong to buy the X-Box because of prog. scan.
If I have to deal with other people's decisions (which I do) then you should have to deal with my opinions, applicable or not. I'm giving you a different perspective on the same issue. Having a family and a job (such as yours, whatever it is) doesn't make you more worthy or your opinions more valid than mine, it just gives you different insight on subjects and gives you a unique perspective.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks