What's new

Does anyone know why "The Enemy Below" DVD has been cancelled? (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I just found out from DVD Empire that The Enemy Below has been cancelled by Fox. Does anyone have any info on why this has been pulled off the schedule? Thanks.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Dear Customer

We have just been notified by 20th Century Fox that they have
canceled the release of The Enemy Below that was due to street on May
20th, 2003. The item has been deleted off your order.

We do apologize for this inconvenience and we will follow up if and
when a new date is announced
I just received this email this morning from my e-tailer about this pre-order. What is the story??? Is it gone for good or just delayed for an specified time or what? Of course unless an insider gives us the "real" scoop, IMHO I kind of doubt Fox will give us a "real" reason. I'm bummed, I was really looking forward to this DVD. I hope this does not turn into a trend with this line of DVDs that Fox was to release.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I guess Mr MOD you should combine these threads. I was composing mine while the other was posted just before mine.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hopefully, Peter Staddon will comment as to why this dvd release was delayed. It will probably be rescheduled at a later date going by past history.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Based on our membership's lack of participation in this thread, it looks like another classic film being lost in the scuffle.:frowning:

Crawdaddy

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
Strange things are happening. Apparently, Enemy Below will be released by Fox on May 3 in Germany (specs: 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen; DD4.0 sound; trailer as an extra).

The German cover of Duell Im Atlantik:

So why not on R1?

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Strange things are happening. Apparently, Enemy Below will be released by Fox on May 3 in Germany (specs: 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen; DD4.0 sound; trailer as an extra)
I'm wondering if a couple of dozen people saying I want this film would sway Fox in any way? It is indeed interesting that Germany will get this film in May, but not the USA. We need some definative word fron Mr Staddon or someone else who is in a position to know exactly what is going on with this DVD release. Meanwhile I'll clutch my widescreen laserdisc tight & check out the possibility of getting the German release. :frowning:

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Through Amazon's German branch it looks like the cost will be 35.49 Euros which includes shipping. So unless someone can give me some aurthoritative information about the cancelled/delayed R1 version, I may very well buy this German version or another region's version if one is announced, assuming that there are not locked in subtitles with the English track. It is also available now from CD Japan for 3885 Yen including shipping.

Update! I purchased the R2 version from CD Japan. Too bad Fox USA is sticking it to us in regards to a R1 release.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I purchased the R2 version from CD Japan. Too bad Fox USA is sticking it to us in regards to a R1 release
Well CD Japan has shipped my R2 "The Enemy Below". Once it arrives in about a week, I'll post my impressions of it here. Once again Thank God for my multi-regional player.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Foxs Website shows this title up for preorder but they show it as being in mono! the film sure was stereo on laser. Can't wait to hear what you think of the Japanese version

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I don't check this portion of the forum out that much, but I'm perplexed and disappointed to hear that this title has been cancelled, or ( hopefully ) merely delayed.

I'm very happy to see Fox opening up its vaults and I will continue to support older releases, but its terribly frustrating when a highly anticipated title, such as this one, is delayed or shelved.

- Walter.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
In the past I've been a proponent in this forum of studios being very out front about why titles get delayed or canceled. I've had virtually no support in my appeals for this sort of explanation. So I guess both of us will have to remain perplexed and disappointed about this title's R1 fate.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Add me to the roster of those who really want to own the classic THE ENEMY BELOW (in anamorphic widescreen & stereo) on Region 1 DVD from Fox, and would much appreciate a formal explanation for the apparent cancellation/delay of same.

Thanks for your time & attention.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
My Japanese R2 "The Enemy Below" arrived a short while ago. I'll report back on it tonite or tomorrow.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I watched my Japanese R2 "The Enemy Below" DVD last night. It had nice audio & the transfer was decent enough for a 46 yr old film. Not spectacular, just a pretty bare bones disc, except for the trailer. Japanese & English subs were removable. So unless Fox decides on a R1 release at some distant time, this & the German disc appear to be your only choices.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The packaging said it was for 16:9 Tvs, but my television is not one of those types so I don't know if it truly is anamorphic. It is 4.0 Dolby.

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
Do you have it on order? If so, please let us know when you receive it. Thanks.
Yes, I've got it on order. May be a while before I receive it though as its release date is May 20 and I've ordered it from DVDBoxoffice who are very slow with shipping (still waiting for them to ship The Awful Truth which came out weeks ago). If I get it, I'll give you an update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks