Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Anchor Bay! You got some splainin' to do. (Re: Army of Darkness)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 of 62 OFFLINE   ChadMcCallum

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit

• 438 posts

Posted February 23 2003 - 02:47 PM

http://www.deadites.....f=1;t=217;st=0

I just found this thread on the best Evil Dead website www.deadites.net.

Anyone else angr(ier)y with Anchor Bay? Used? I know I sure do. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 of 62 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,493 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted February 23 2003 - 02:59 PM

Anchor Bay doesn't own these films, so they're at the mercy of what the studios license to them. Some will give AB the best stuff possible, while some won't put much effort. They're just like Criterion...they have to use what they're given by the studio.

#3 of 62 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted February 23 2003 - 03:26 PM

Oh my, the difference is amazing. Courtesy of that source (Anchor Bay on top, MGM on bottom):

Posted Image

Posted Image
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#4 of 62 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted February 23 2003 - 03:42 PM

Wow, that is a striking difference!
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#5 of 62 OFFLINE   Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted February 23 2003 - 04:00 PM

Ho-lee crap, that's incredible. And NTSC, so it will work on my back-up Apex without a hitch. Looks like I will be importing.

#6 of 62 OFFLINE   Brendan Brown

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted February 23 2003 - 04:23 PM

-Jaw Drops- Oh MAN, that looks AMAZING.
Fetch the mind-wipe ray!
You mean the Magnum?
....yes.

#7 of 62 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted February 23 2003 - 04:47 PM

God bless my HTPC Posted Image

Anyone wanna buy a "Limited Edition" version of the Director's Cut? Only 40,000 made! Posted Image

#8 of 62 OFFLINE   Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted February 23 2003 - 06:35 PM

Any chance this will be the version included in the Boomstick edition? It seems worthy of the rerelease if is... -paul

#9 of 62 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,762 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted February 23 2003 - 06:38 PM

Given that AB has not said that the Boomstick release will contain a new transfer, I think the odds of it happening are next-to-nil. If it was going to be a new transfer, you can be certain that AB would've made sure we all knew by now. DJ

#10 of 62 OFFLINE   Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,701 posts

Posted February 23 2003 - 07:38 PM

Forgive the dumb question, but after viewing the comparison shots, Im flabbergastedy. Ive heard that many R3 discs actually will also play just fine on R1 players-is this true? if so, im owning that disc yesterday. Anyone??
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#11 of 62 OFFLINE   Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts

Posted February 23 2003 - 09:25 PM

The thread linked mentions YesAsia as the place to buy this disc online - I can't find it on the YesAsia site though, as a search for ARMY OF DARKNESS doesn't bring the title up for me. Can anyone post a link to order it if they find one, or provide a link to another site that has it if YesAsia no longer does? Watch the demand for this disc spread around the net like wildfire over the coming days...

#12 of 62 OFFLINE   Jehan

Jehan

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted February 23 2003 - 10:44 PM

Anthony, is this what you are looking for?
Home Theater • 2004 Film List • 2003 Film List • 2002 Film List • 2001 Film List

#13 of 62 OFFLINE   ChadMcCallum

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit

• 438 posts

Posted February 23 2003 - 11:01 PM

Patrick: very true. However Anchor Bay said that their directors cut was made up from the best possible sources and they did mention they looked everywhere. While it could be that this was true for the first release I'm sure they could have used it for a new disc. There's also the missing shots of Evil Ash pulling of Shelia's clothes. Its not an important scene but if AB had truly looked at every source they would have seen this scene and it should have been included on the disc, either in the movie or in the deleted scenes section. Still my biggest complaint is that Anchor Bay keeps releasing this same movie with the same shoddy transfer. I believe we're at number 5 or 6 with them and the only thing that's changed is the packaging, insert style and disc art. If Anchor Bay did really care about their fans they wouldn't keep trying to cash in and they would have given us this print. They must have heard about this copy so why isn't R1 getting it with the "new" Boomstick Edition?

#14 of 62 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 01:48 AM

[quote] Ive heard that many or most R3 discs actually will play just fine on R1 players-is this true? [quote] No. Region 1 players only play Region 1 (or NTSC R0) discs... you'll need either a multi-region player or HTPC.

#15 of 62 OFFLINE   Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor

• 522 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 02:54 AM

Those of you in North America (like me) who want to buy this from YesAsia will need to go to the North American site here, rather than the address provided above.

Just got my copy. About $23 shipped, which is worth it for a new transfer (finally).

originaltrilogy.com - Because the special editions suck

#16 of 62 OFFLINE   ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa

Screenwriter

• 2,802 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 03:02 AM

I'm usually not a video-quality whore, but this is unbelievable. The difference in quality is astounding. While it's not worth buying a new (multi-region) DVD player for, if I ever happen to get one, this will definitely be a title I purchase. I'll never look at my Anchor Bay AOD releases the same way again. They seem tainted now.

#17 of 62 OFFLINE   Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman

Supporting Actor

• 711 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 03:30 AM

Posted Image Along with Rob, I might have an un-opened AOD Limited edition for sale. Only 40,000 made :wink: Hmm...

#18 of 62 OFFLINE   Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding

Second Unit

• 487 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 05:53 AM

you know what I do to NTSC DVD's that are from another region? I rip it to my harddrive and remove the region coding and reburn a new dvd-r so I can play it on my DVD player in the home theater. edit: these are dvd's that I own the originals of, I am not condoning burning something I don't own. I just don't want to buy a multiregion dvd player if i can do it this way. I put the dvd-r regionless copy I made into the original case with the store bought one I purchased. I don't think this is illegal.

#19 of 62 OFFLINE   Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,701 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 07:50 AM

quote: '...No. R1 discs play on R1 only except R0 etc ...' The reason I ask is that ive heard of a few R3 discs that ARE labeled R3, yet will play R1 (or "0") on US dvd players The recent PULP FICTION-SE from R3 comes to mind...a few people here had that months earlier than the rest of us. If worse comes to worst, it *will* play on my G4, which is now RC free...
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#20 of 62 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,762 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted February 24 2003 - 08:54 AM

[quote] The reason I ask is that ive heard of a few R3 discs that ARE labeled R3, yet will play R1 (or "0") on US dvd players
The recent PULP FICTION-SE from R3 comes to mind...a few people here had that months earlier than the rest of us. [quote]
I tried the new R3 AOD disc in my R1-only Sony player today, and it did not play. Sorry.

DJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users