What's new

Battle of Sonys: 51 vs 46 (1 Viewer)

Alayn

Auditioning
Alright, so this is it. I've researched, surfed, looked at and labored-even lost sleep-over this decision for more than a month and now it comes down to choosing between the two sonys: 51WS500 vs 46WT500

NOw, the 46 is cheaper, but the 51 is bigger. I like big.

I know all about the WS500 flicker stuff and I've gotten the bad serial numbers and made sure my dealer gets a blessed set: so when you give me advice, tell it from the perspective of a KP51WS500 that's got no flicker problem.

Now, the 46 is getting impressive reviews

electronics.cnet.com

but the 51 still seems more feature packed. I know *for sure*(correct me with your different opinions) that the KP51WS500 performs great with DVD's, though I'm looking for your input on what you think of its picture for standard and HD cable.

From what I've seen so far, the KP46WT500 offers pretty much the same picture quality. Yay or Nay from all of you?

Last little wrench: I'm probably going to go with one of these two Sonys, but I'd be very interested to have someone try and convince me that the Toshiba 50hdx is worth about 3 or 4 hundred more of my canadian dollars for whatever extra picture quality it might have-or any other tidbit you'd like to add.

ANyway, that's it! Thanks moochly in advance for any and all help:b !

Widescreen or bust!!!:D

Ottis Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 46WT500, and the picture is good, its incredible after using Avia.

all opinions from here down are after using Avia.

DVDs look better then I have anticaped (with a progressive scan DVD player). Skin tone is life like, and real depth is added to a lot of scenes. I cant see any flicker problems that normally occur with tiny patterns, like wall paper or shirt designs.

I have AT&T Digital Cable a few channels are all most unwatchable after viewing DVDs, but its not many and they are mostly under 100. Many of the upper channels rival DVD quality on my last set (analog 36 inch Sony Wega), which is saying alot since its not a HD source. I plan on getting a satellite dish after my tax return to get 1080i sources, especially Discovery HD Theater.

Keep in mind that those sets down convert 720p to 480p. I was going to take this set back and get a bigger one (if you want a bigger set then get the 51 or even a 57 inch) but after reading many reviews and doing quick comparisons with other Sony TVs on the same settings the KP46WT500 just looked so much better. I can not really comment on the other set because I didn't get to view it in the same conditions as mine now.

All in all I am very happy with my purchase, I would recommend with out hesitation to anyone who is looking for set in the $2K price range.

John Sully

Stunt Coordinator
I got the 46 and am very happy with it. I pretty much echo Ottis's opinions about it. AFAIK the 46 and 51 are comparable in features, the same manual comes with all of the sets in the series and I didn't notice anything of import available on only the higher end models.

You'll enjoy either one, there really isn't much to choose between them.

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
Alayn,

Just a quick note on the Tosh, if you look to Futureshop, the 50HDX and the 51WS500 are the same price (actually sony is $20 cheaper for the next week) I too am leaning towards the Sony, but am also looking for info on the Tosh.

The only difference I hve noticed with the 50HDX is slightly better stretch modes, I had a side by side comparison at the local Futureshop.

Hope this helps

Alayn

Auditioning
Hey Guys!

Thanks for the replies. ANybody else please chirp in, as my final decision is still pending.

Yea, I've heard a certain buzz about the Tosh hdx having a slightly better stretch mode, as well as the KP 46.. being très cool. However I keep on seeing the KP51 and being impressed. Not sure sometimes what the naysayers are talking about bashing this fine looking sony set(aside from the obvious flicker crap). Funny: COnsumer reports rates the SW500 series as better that the Tosh HDX series, while C/net electronics does the opposite.

It certainly seems though like the KP46WT500 is getting unanimous praise. HMMM..., however it's brand new, so a bit untested, despite the great initial reviews. It's like the new Hitachi 51F500 with the new 5 element lens... who knows?

Now the rub for me is that the dealer I'm dealing with, wonderful woman called Kim, is offering me the Sony 51 for 300 canadian bucks less that the Tosh hdx. And I ask myself: after proper running time and Avia magic(or Video essentials and such), is there going to be any real significant difference between the Sony 51 and Tosh 50? Also, I hear that for DVD, the Sony is a few notches better than the Toshiba. Of course, these are all things utterly impossible to find out until you actually have the set and decide for yourself. Boy, it would be great to get a post from someone who'se seen both at their best, after calibration. For instance, I've heard the Tosh does a better job with standard cable, with its upconversion to 540p, though this same feature makes Sony the runaway choice for DVD viewing.

ANd of course-for me-either Sony looks better than the Tosh.

Oh, how I enjoy just rambling and blithering on a stormy snowy sunday afternoon.

BTW: see Daredevil and begin drooling over when it comes out on DVD!!!

Well, that's it again: help me out some more, it's good karma:b

Have a rockin' night:wink:

Andy Polo

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Sony 51 and it's great
DVD's look great with progressive scan. Go bigger, you won't regret it

I bought my 46 inch about 2-3 weeks ago. Just got a call from Sony saying the TV was recalled and they needed to replace the TV. More details to come later...

No problems with the TV so far, picture looks great. I would certainly recommend. Other than this damn phone call I don't know any other negatives.

Ryan Patterson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Alayn,

What is the optimum viewing distance between you and your TV? This can affect your final TV size, as if you sit too close, scanlines can become apparent.

I sit about 8.5' away from my 43" 4:3 TV, and I've found that watching full-screen DVDs is only borderline acceptable as I can start to make out scanlines from that distance. However, for cable TV (noisy picture) and anamorphic movies (which causes the vertical squeeze to kick in), scanlines are no longer apparent.

A 51" 16:9 set has almost the same picture height as a 43" 4:3 set. (Link Removed is a great website to make 16:9 and 4:3 size comparisons). Considering you will be viewing all your material using the same scanline density or worse (ie. there's no vertical squeeze, but there is a vertical zoom for non-anamorphic movies), viewing distance becomes very important if you're sitting around the 8-9' distance. Of course, this will also depend on how good your eyes are ;)

My recommendation would be to bring a tape measure into the store and sit at the same distance from the TV as you would in your living room. Be sure that you switch the DRC mode on the Sony TV to "Cinemotion" when watching film-sourced DVDs. Don't watch the "Interlaced" mode, because although it upconverts to 960i (thus eliminating scanlines), it introduces some pretty noticable edge artifacts. You may also want to bring in a non-anamorphic DVD to see how objectionable the scanlines may be at that low-density.

I hope this helps in your decision. Whatever size of TV you end up purchasing, congratulations and welcome to the world of progressive scan and HDTV!

Ryan

Alayn

Auditioning
Hey Ryan,

Thanks for the response.

Answers: Yup, I've done the measuring tape thing and all that. I'll be sitting at about 8.5 feet away, though I can tweek my furniture alignement when the TV gets here next week. I've firmly decide on a widescreen TV, afetr debating the question in my mind for about a month. I'm very happy to have decided on widescreen, even for viewing cable stuff and OAR 4:3. I've noticed that, for me, the stretch modes work quite well and I just love the widescreen look;)
Thanks for the tip about switching DRC to Cinemotion. Will keep that in mind.

Ottis:

Thanks for your honesty and though I've decided on going big and 51", I came very close to being a KP46 owner and am sure I would have been as happy as you. It's a great TV!
However, after weighing in on all the pros and cons, I'm taking the plunge for the bigger screen: The SOny KP51WS500 just looks too good to pass up, I'm getting a real good deal on it(3500 cdn including everything), a serail number unaffected by flicker horror and a dealer who lives at my doorstep, so hey, what the hey, ay?

I can also get the extended warranty plan whenever I want from them: they're giving me as much time in the next year as I want and the offer is for three years at the price of a Pany DVD RP-62(...):b

WHat else swayed me? Well, she's got one(the store owner) and she's sold dozens of them and hasn't had one serious complaint, only three or four minor service calls over the last 4 months, all met with great satisfaction from the customers. SHe has't had a single problem with her set and says her kids rave about it.

ANyway, all SOny flag waving aside, wish me luck to ward off any bad RPTV spirits and write me a good omen for help setting the beast up when it arrives next friday night.

I live in TOronto so if anyone knows a good place for me to get Avia, Video Essentials, let me know.

Well, that's it: thanks for all your help!:D

I'll be posting a comprehensive review of the KP51WS500 next week about this time.:star:

Ottis Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats on your decision and welcome to wide screen HDTV Ive heard nothing but good things about that model along with many other Sony sets. You wont want to ever go back to 4X3 ever again.

Users who are viewing this thread