What's new

MGM releasing "Attack", "Zulu" and John Huston's "The Unforgiven" (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
According to DigitalBits, MGM is releasing a batch of War and Westerns films including some of my favorites. I hope they do John Huston proud with "The Unforgiven" which starred Burt Lancaster, Audrey Hepburn, Audie Murphy, and Lillian Gish. The actual release year for "The Unforgiven" was 1960 not 1953 as indicated in the article. Also, being released is Robert Aldrich's "Attack" a very underrated War film which starred Jack Palance, Lee Marvin, and Eddie Albert. I hope "Zulu" has the OAR and I wonder if there will be any extra features on this dvd release. Furthermore, there are several other good War and Westerns being released in May and June.

Crawdaddy

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Robert,

Excellent news. Any film with both Jack Palance and Lee Marvin in it are worth seeing (and owning)! Of those two, only Jack Palance is alive now (and kicking :) ).

And to add a great wish of my own: I hope they release Zulu Dawn (1979, Douglas Hickox) as well. It's a true sequel to Zulu. Arguably, the film isn't as good as the first, but together it's a time piece that belongs in a collection in a complete form (now I have to use the VHS version of ZD).

Cees

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
Excellent news. One of the war movies will be Battle Of Britain :emoji_thumbsup:. Let's just hope that MGM releases all the widescreen movies in anamorpic widescreen. I wouldn't like another Exodus quality DVD for The Unforgiven and Battle Of Britain. Wonder how the Zulu DVD will compare to the R2 release.

Maurice McCone

Stunt Coordinator
I am sure you will get a release of Zulu which is as good as the reg2 recent release.

The picture is superb, original OAR, and a set of extras including commentary and 2 documentaries, which are only realy missing Mr Caine himself.

Battle of Britain is one of my top 5 wish list. I can't wait to own an OAR, anamorphic release, 5.1 would be icing on the cake for a film that could sound great; also to give justice to one of the truly great movie scores.

Runar_R

Second Unit
I think John Huston is one important director who really need some more substantial realeases on dvd. I can't think of any Huston title that has a really good dvd. I mean "The Dead" isn't even available at all! :frowning:

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
This is fantastic news :emoji_thumbsup:

I never expected Attack to come out anytime soon. What a great underrated War film.

I've also been holding out for Zulu for the longest time.

I hate to gripe but I was under the impression that we'd get a SE release from MGM.

Oh well as long as we get a good transfer in OAR I'll pick it up.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I hope they release Zulu Dawn (1979, Douglas Hickox) as well. It's a true sequel to Zulu.
Not to nit pick but "Zulu Dawn" is a prequel to "Zulu" as it covers the battle of Isendelwana(sp)which occured before Rourke's Drift. But that being said, it would be nice to have "Zulu Dawn" as well. I only have one movie beginning with the letter "Z". Two more would be nice.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I beg to differ, I think the following dvds have nice transfers.
  • The Red Badge of Courage
  • The Maltese Falcon
  • Key Largo

However, I do wish they revisited some earlier releases such as an anamorphic transfer of "The Misfits" and "Prizzi's Honor". As well as releasing more of his titles in Region 1 like "The African Queen", "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre", "The Asphalt Jungle" among others. Thankfully, "Heaven Knows Mr. Allison" is coming out in a couple of months.

Crawdaddy

Matt_P

Second Unit
BATTLE OF BRITAIN!!!!!!!

HOORAAAAAYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's hope for anamorphic OAR, 5.1, original mix, isolated score (one can dream, right?), and more!!!!

Back to reality: I'll be happy with a decent anamorphic OAR transfer. I guess the laserdisc prices (the only format Britain was availble on in OAR) will start coming back down to earth.

Jo_C

Second Unit
Finally! An "official" release of "Zulu". This will put to an end all the debate over the different DVD releases.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Michael,

Not to nit pick but "Zulu Dawn" is a prequel to "Zulu"...
Mmm, you happen to pick your nits rather well... :).
Indeed I should have worded that more carefully: chronologically the events depicted in Zulu Dawn, 1972, precede those of the earlier film Zulu, 1964, (as the title suggests).

Cees

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today, Bill Hunt stated on his site that both "Zulu" and "Battle of Britian" will be released in their OAR. Also, it looks like "The Unforgiven" will be in it's OAR. Interesting that two John Huston titles will be released on the same day, 5/20/03 by two different studios. MGM with "The Unforgiven" and Fox with "Heaven Knows Mr. Allison".

Crawdaddy

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Digital Bits reports that Zulu will be mono - my Criterion is the original full stereo mix - what gives.
The real gem for me among these releases is mgm June release of The Sum of Us with Russel Crowe - marvelous film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Joe,
Checking around, the 35MM print of "Zulu" indicates mono sound and not the six channel stereo sound of the 70MM print.

Crawdaddy

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup: to them for releasing Zulu . Too bad it won't have the stereo track though. The news that they are releasing Battle of Britain is good as well. I just hope they do justice to the picture quality for these releases.

:thumbsdown: to them because they still haven't released The Secret of NIMH in it's OAR.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Man, MGM's going get a bunch of money off of me.

633 Squadron
Attack!
Battle of Britain
Mosquito Squadron
Zulu
The Unforgiven
Stargate SG-1: The Complete Third Season

I'll get those for sure. I see a few other possibilities there too.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to be interested in seeing how this version of "Zulu" matches up with the R2 version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks