-

Photo

MGM releasing "Attack", "Zulu" and John Huston's "The Unforgiven"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

#1 of 82 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,496 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 21 2003 - 07:21 PM

According to DigitalBits, MGM is releasing a batch of War and Westerns films including some of my favorites. I hope they do John Huston proud with "The Unforgiven" which starred Burt Lancaster, Audrey Hepburn, Audie Murphy, and Lillian Gish. The actual release year for "The Unforgiven" was 1960 not 1953 as indicated in the article. Also, being released is Robert Aldrich's "Attack" a very underrated War film which starred Jack Palance, Lee Marvin, and Eddie Albert. I hope "Zulu" has the OAR and I wonder if there will be any extra features on this dvd release. Furthermore, there are several other good War and Westerns being released in May and June.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#2 of 82 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,616 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 09:02 PM

Robert,

Excellent news. Any film with both Jack Palance and Lee Marvin in it are worth seeing (and owning)! Of those two, only Jack Palance is alive now (and kicking Posted Image ).

And to add a great wish of my own: I hope they release Zulu Dawn (1979, Douglas Hickox) as well. It's a true sequel to Zulu. Arguably, the film isn't as good as the first, but together it's a time piece that belongs in a collection in a complete form (now I have to use the VHS version of ZD).

Cees

#3 of 82 Danny_N

Danny_N

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 09:52 PM

Excellent news. One of the war movies will be Battle Of Britain Posted Image. Let's just hope that MGM releases all the widescreen movies in anamorpic widescreen. I wouldn't like another Exodus quality DVD for The Unforgiven and Battle Of Britain. Wonder how the Zulu DVD will compare to the R2 release.

#4 of 82 Maurice McCone

Maurice McCone

Stunt Coordinator

• 147 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 10:10 PM

I am sure you will get a release of Zulu which is as good as the reg2 recent release.

The picture is superb, original OAR, and a set of extras including commentary and 2 documentaries, which are only realy missing Mr Caine himself.

Battle of Britain is one of my top 5 wish list. I can't wait to own an OAR, anamorphic release, 5.1 would be icing on the cake for a film that could sound great; also to give justice to one of the truly great movie scores.

#5 of 82 Runar_R

Runar_R

Second Unit

• 259 posts

Posted February 22 2003 - 12:07 AM

I think John Huston is one important director who really need some more substantial realeases on dvd. I can't think of any Huston title that has a really good dvd. I mean "The Dead" isn't even available at all! Posted Image
"These are the moments I live for.
I put up with all the other crap just to get seconds like this.
The moments when you know the world is a better place than advertised."
-Planetary, Warren Ellis

#6 of 82 Paul Case

Paul Case

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted February 22 2003 - 12:38 AM

Oh man, I can't wait to get my hands on Attack! and Zulu on dvd. Thumbs up to MGM! Posted Image

#7 of 82 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted February 22 2003 - 01:41 AM

This is fantastic news Posted Image

I never expected Attack to come out anytime soon. What a great underrated War film.

I've also been holding out for Zulu for the longest time.

I hate to gripe but I was under the impression that we'd get a SE release from MGM.

Oh well as long as we get a good transfer in OAR I'll pick it up.
Death before Streaming!

#8 of 82 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted February 22 2003 - 02:42 AM

Quote:
I hope they release Zulu Dawn (1979, Douglas Hickox) as well. It's a true sequel to Zulu.

Not to nit pick but "Zulu Dawn" is a prequel to "Zulu" as it covers the battle of Isendelwana(sp)which occured before Rourke's Drift. But that being said, it would be nice to have "Zulu Dawn" as well. I only have one movie beginning with the letter "Z". Two more would be nice.

#9 of 82 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,496 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 22 2003 - 03:33 AM

I can't think of any Huston title that has a really good dvd. I mean "The Dead" isn't even available at all!
I beg to differ, I think the following dvds have nice transfers.
  • The Red Badge of Courage
  • The Maltese Falcon
  • Key Largo
However, I do wish they revisited some earlier releases such as an anamorphic transfer of "The Misfits" and "Prizzi's Honor". As well as releasing more of his titles in Region 1 like "The African Queen", "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre", "The Asphalt Jungle" among others. Thankfully, "Heaven Knows Mr. Allison" is coming out in a couple of months.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#10 of 82 Matt_P

Matt_P

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted February 22 2003 - 05:59 AM

BATTLE OF BRITAIN!!!!!!!

HOORAAAAAYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's hope for anamorphic OAR, 5.1, original mix, isolated score (one can dream, right?), and more!!!!

Back to reality: I'll be happy with a decent anamorphic OAR transfer. I guess the laserdisc prices (the only format Britain was availble on in OAR) will start coming back down to earth.

#11 of 82 Jo_C

Jo_C

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted February 22 2003 - 08:39 AM

Finally! An "official" release of "Zulu". This will put to an end all the debate over the different DVD releases.

#12 of 82 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,616 posts

Posted February 22 2003 - 09:05 AM

Michael,

Quote:
Not to nit pick but "Zulu Dawn" is a prequel to "Zulu"...
Mmm, you happen to pick your nits rather well... Posted Image.
Indeed I should have worded that more carefully: chronologically the events depicted in Zulu Dawn, 1972, precede those of the earlier film Zulu, 1964, (as the title suggests).

Cees

#13 of 82 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,496 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 22 2003 - 09:39 AM

Today, Bill Hunt stated on his site that both "Zulu" and "Battle of Britian" will be released in their OAR. Also, it looks like "The Unforgiven" will be in it's OAR. Interesting that two John Huston titles will be released on the same day, 5/20/03 by two different studios. MGM with "The Unforgiven" and Fox with "Heaven Knows Mr. Allison".

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#14 of 82 michael deakin

michael deakin

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts
  • LocationWarrington

Posted February 22 2003 - 09:56 AM

Hey guy's don't forget "633 Sqaudron" as well.

mike.

#15 of 82 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts

Posted February 22 2003 - 10:10 AM

Digital Bits reports that Zulu will be mono - my Criterion is the original full stereo mix - what gives.
The real gem for me among these releases is mgm June release of The Sum of Us with Russel Crowe - marvelous film.

#16 of 82 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,496 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 22 2003 - 10:18 AM

Joe,
Checking around, the 35MM print of "Zulu" indicates mono sound and not the six channel stereo sound of the 70MM print.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#17 of 82 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted February 22 2003 - 11:07 AM

Posted Image to them for releasing Zulu . Too bad it won't have the stereo track though. The news that they are releasing Battle of Britain is good as well. I just hope they do justice to the picture quality for these releases.

Posted Image to them because they still haven't released The Secret of NIMH in it's OAR.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#18 of 82 Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted February 22 2003 - 02:10 PM

Quote:
to them because they still haven't released The Secret of NIMH in it's OAR

What exactly is the OAR for NIMH anyway? My region 2 copy is in 1:85:1, but I reckon it's incorrect

#19 of 82 Brian E

Brian E

Screenwriter

• 1,636 posts

Posted February 22 2003 - 02:23 PM

Man, MGM's going get a bunch of money off of me.

633 Squadron
Attack!
Battle of Britain
Mosquito Squadron
Zulu
The Unforgiven
Stargate SG-1: The Complete Third Season

I'll get those for sure. I see a few other possibilities there too.
~Brian

#20 of 82 Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted February 22 2003 - 02:47 PM

I'm going to be interested in seeing how this version of "Zulu" matches up with the R2 version.
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

Forum Nav Content I Follow