Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Which used iScan to buy?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Greg Lovern

Greg Lovern

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 11:35 AM

I'm looking for suggestions on which used iScan model to look for.

I recently picked up my first HDTV -- a 1-year-old used Philips 60PP9601. Yesterday my used progressive-scan Toshiba SD-4700 (only $102!) arrived and it looks great.

Now I'm looking for a used iScan, for laserdisc, broadcast TV, etc. But which model? I don't need component input since I have a progressive-scan DVD player; S-Video input is all I need. Even the earliest iScan has S-Video input.

But are later iScan models better in other ways? If memory serves, even the earliest iScan does 3:2 pulldown, correct? Are later models better in other ways?

I'm not considering an Ultra, I don't want to spend that much even if it is a big improvement over earlier models. (If it is a big improvement then I'd get an earlier model now and a few years later get an Ultra when they're cheaper.)

Thanks for any thoughts.

Greg

#2 of 10 Joel_Ackerson

Joel_Ackerson

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 12:16 PM

I have used all three, iScan V1, iScan V2, and iScan-Pro, the first one does not have aspect-ratio control, but work's great with LD, Directv, and Cable. The V2 has aspect-ratio contol, and off-course the Pro is the best of the bunch which cost's more $. I would think the V1, or V2 would be great with your Phillip's TV. I just sold my iScan V1 for $200.00, so that would be a great price point.

Cheer's

#3 of 10 Greg Lovern

Greg Lovern

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 12:52 PM

This is probably a dumb question, but... how do you plug cable into it? I've seen a picture of the back of a iScan PLus and it shows 2 S-Video inputs and 1 composite input. Do you need some sort of converter for cable?

#4 of 10 Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 02:55 PM

Greg, the V2 has no component input, 2 S-video inputs and 1 composite. I would suggest going for a V1 or V2. I have a V2. I got the V2 so as not to get component input. I figured the more S-video inputs the better. The Pro model, with component-in, only has one. I've watched both the V1 and V2 extensively and for LD I doubt there is much difference myself. A friend, with a projector, who's opinion I respect, thnks the V1 is the best for LD, slightly he sez. I just don't see why you should spend more than what you could get them for. It's not like a V 1 & 2's won't work well with DVD if you needed. The V2 would have a slight edge there. I've run Sony 7700 & 9000ES and the Malata 996 into mine via S-video and the results were outstanding.

Ultimately, the iscans work their very best, for LD, with S-video signals. I'd save on the iscan and plot to get a hi-end LD player to play into it, one with great S-video output if you don't already have one? Posted Image Best wishes from Laserland!
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#5 of 10 Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 02:59 PM

....oh Greg, for cable you'd have to have the composite or S-video output of a cable box or run the cable into a VCR and then use it's A/V outputs....say hay!Posted Image
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#6 of 10 Joel_Ackerson

Joel_Ackerson

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 03:16 PM

Oop's! My bad, the V1/V2 have S-video/Composite in's and VGA out. I do not own a V2 anymore, just the Pro. It is a really simple install and toggle between the input's and option's you want. I used mine for LD(Pioneer Elite 79/99)work's great, Directv SD, S-VHS recording's, and standard cable.

#7 of 10 James Pfann

James Pfann

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 03:17 PM

I was wondering about this issue as well. I'm looking to get the best possible image out my LD and SVHS players.

Thanks for the great info, I'm off in search of a used Iscan.

#8 of 10 Greg Lovern

Greg Lovern

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 03:56 PM

Thanks all, it looks like all I need is the cheapest iScan I can find.

Quote:
I'd save on the iscan and plot to get a hi-end LD player to play into it, one with great S-video output if you don't already have one?

I have a Pioneer CLD-D704. Not the very best but plenty good enough for me. I'm intrigued by the better ones you've described in other posts but I doubt if I'll ever upgrade it.

Greg

#9 of 10 Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted February 22 2003 - 12:48 PM

Greg, when you get your iscan try it composite and S-video and see what's up. It'll proably be a real close call. Somewhere down the line you might trip over a CLD-99 or a LD-S9, you never know...? Posted Image Best wishes!

#10 of 10 randy bessinger

randy bessinger

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted February 28 2003 - 02:55 AM

I have a Princeton 1500 which is an ISCAN v.2 PM me if you are interested. It is a little over a year and in excellent condition.