What's new

Has anyone paid anywhere close to MSRP for a DENON receiver? (1 Viewer)

PaulWY

Grip
I've spent a fair amount of time mostly lurking in these types of a/v forums and it seems that nobody has ever paid anything near MSRP. Either they buy unauthorized at a steal of a price or they walk into a B&M store and somehow still manage to get a great discount. Am I the only person who paid "close" to MSRP? My 2802 cost me $1152(CAD) or $757(USD) from a local authorized dealer in Canada... should I work on my haggling skills? How close to MSRP did you pay for your Denon receiver?

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I paid close to MSRP on my 5700 (it was a new product at the time). I had done a lot of auditioning at the retailer and felt that the cost was justified (since I had taken so much of their time).

RobertW

Supporting Actor
I paid close to MSRP on my 5700 (it was a new product at the time). I had done a lot of auditioning at the retailer and felt that the cost was justified (since I had taken so much of their time).
ditto with my 3300. i had listened to speakers at his shop, but then bought at my local dealer a bit later once he added the paradigm reference line. went back to the first shop for the reciever cause i felt like i owed him some business after he let me listen for so long.

Modena

Stunt Coordinator
Got my 2802 for 589. Went into Tweeter, told them a tiny store around the corner (Grafitti Audio) would sell me it for that and they matched the price. No questions asked, no checking the price. (The Grafitti audio was an open box)

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Good question Paul. When I bought my 2802, I could've gotten it on-line through an un-authorized dealer for much less than I actually paid for it at my local SoundTrack store. I ended up paying $699 (US) for it at SoundTrack. This was no small purchase for me and I wanted to make sure that if there were any problems with the unit, I would have the convenience of returning it for a new one with just a trip to the store and not have to worry about shipping it back to a non-authorized dealer.

Shortly after my purchase, I saw that a certain online authorized dealer had the 3802 on sale for the same price I spent on the 2802. Drat. Oh well. Later, I decided to get a separate amp for about $400. Now I'm up to $1,100 and thinking in retrospect, I could have saved up a few more dollars and gotten the 4802. I guess its all about buyers remorse. After awhile, I started appreciating what I actually had and learned to be content, if not very pleased with my purchase. I think that the 2802 is an excellent receiver for the money, and I keep re-affirming that by listening to it as often as I can. Now if I had paid over MSRP, it would be a different story.

BTW, if you buy from a B&M, make sure they have some sort of price protection. I was able to get $50 back when the 2802 went on sale 3 weeks after I bought it.

Phil

sheldon M.

Stunt Coordinator
I bought my Denon 3801 exactly 2 years ago. At the time it was selling for $1199msrp at The Good Guys-a large chain here in Cali. I looked around online and bought it from an E-tailer out East for $850. I thought there was a problem with it and they were willing to replace it without pause-but it turned out that the unit was fine (I just didnt understand how to work the remote). I have never experienced any problems with it so based on my experience I would do the same again.

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
I paid $999 for my $1199 MSRP 3803 through an authorized etailer; free shipping, and no tax. I PM'ed that with my Amex gold business card I used to $828 through another vendor. Bingo, I got a check in the mail from AMEX for $171 effectively making my cost $828 shipped from an authorized dealer. This was the first PM on the AMEX BVG program and boy did it work.

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
When I went out to buy my 3803 I had already rcvd a price form my preferred B&M but stopped into Ultimate and told the dude I was going to buy a 3803 today and you have one shot to give my your best price. The dork came back and said if you buy it today you can have it for $1140. I laughed and told him how generous (a whole $59 off)and had a much better deal down the road. He said he could price match and I said I would rather buy it from the smaller B&M and you just had your chance. I turned around and walked out and bought at the other place for $1000 out the door which was $50 less than his original quote.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks