What's new

Real Time with Bill Maher (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
http://www.hbo.com/billmaher/?ntrack...eat_main_image

This live (on HBO East, tape delayed on HBO West) talkshow features one of my favorite people to hate, Ann Coulter as a regular round-table guest. Also Larry Miller, who wrote a famously pro-Israeli/anti-Arabic article a while ago that somehow was credited to Dennis Miller by some people.

The special guest in the premiere is Sarah Silverman.

I'm gonna check it out and see how riled up I can get. :)

/Mike

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I ready have this one scheduled for the Tivo.
Hopefully on HBO with no commercials the flow will be better then PI.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Personally, I can't wait for this show. I've been looking forward to this show for months. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

It's also nice that I now have DirecTV, so even though I'm on the west coast, it will actually be live.

Can't wait!

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Watched it tonight, loved it. Felt fresh, topical stuff, stand up acts, etc. Though WHY THE HELL WAS CHRIS ROCK THERE? He's not funny and it seemed as if it was just his loud and annoying way to plug his upcoming, surefire bomb, soon to hit theaters. Keep his schtick off my TV Bill and I'll be there every week.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Quote:

WHY THE HELL WAS CHRIS ROCK THERE? He's not funny and it seemed as if it was just his loud and annoying way to plug his upcoming, surefire bomb, soon to hit theaters.
---------------------

Perhaps because he's a friend of Bill Maher and also had a show on HBO, and the fact that walk on cameos are nothing new. I thought Ann Coulter's microphone was too much louder than the other guest, they need to balance the volume on future shows. However, I enjoyed the point that Bill Maher made when he told her "She makes up shit" meaning ignoring facts to gain advantage during discussions.

BTW For some reason Ann Coulter reminds me of a Greyhound dog i.e. Westminster Dog Show.

Dan B

Screenwriter
However, I enjoyed the point that Bill Maher made when he told her "She makes up shit" meaning ignoring facts to gain advantage during discussions.
Yeah, that was in response to her claim that George Bush Sr. was a "nobody" who had no influence on George Bush Jr.'s career.

I liked the show, although it was a little celebratory being the first episode. Hopefully, it'll get a little more down-n-dirty in the future...and I'm sure it will. :D

That guy who did the report on terrorism looked familiar...was he on Mr. Show with Bob & David?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Sarah Silverman's stand-up act was horribly unfunny. She said one thing that made me smile, but I don't even remember what it was.

Chris Rock's appearance was cringe-inducing, especially when he repeated the same joke he said in the "phone call" and nobody laughed (because they'd heard it 30 seconds earlier already).

The rest of the show was great, IMO. Loved the opening skit with Larry David, loved the discussions, hated Ann Coulter as usual :), loved the "terrorism alert report", loved Bill's opening monologue. IMO, he just "makes up shit" as much as Ann though. :)

Larry Miller had some funny comments, that was a welcome relief in some of the discussions.

I'm definitely season-passing this show.

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
The new show was FUCKING terrible. Bill Maher went from a Libertarian on ABC to a far leftist on HBO. Its an obvious attempt to become the Liberal Rush Limbaugh and I think its totaly disingeneous.

BTW anyone notice how first he says that North Korea has rockets that could reach LA and then 5 minutes later claims that a Missle Shield is usless because theres no missle threat? HUH?
Guess I'm gonna watch something else on Fridays before Ali G.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I don't want to get into a political debate here. I'll just say I was pleasantly surprised by this first show and will be catching it every week.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
I've always taken issue with his characterization of 'Seinfeld' as the epitome of greed and lack of consequence. Ironic he would open with that bit w/Larry David.
He used to rail that the characters got away with everything. And it seemed to me that the essence of the show was that they NEVER got away with anything, but they just didn't care. Kramer can't even hit golf balls into the ocean without it coming back to bite George in the patoot. George couldn't pawn off cigars from his girlfriend's father, without Kramer burning the guy's cabin down with them. That's why I loved the finale, everything coming home to roost. Everyone they'd wronged providing the character evidence to put them in the hoosegow.

MikeM

Screenwriter
I liked the new show quite a bit. I was a bit let down when I heard that the panel won't be as diverse as Politically Incorrect. I always found it relaly interesting to hear the opinions of authors, politicians, etc., most of whom I had never heard of.

And yes, I found Sarah Silverman to be really funny. But that's just me.

Steve Clark

Second Unit
Bill Maher went from a Libertarian on ABC to a far leftist on HBO. Its an obvious attempt to become the Liberal Rush Limbaugh and I think its totaly disingeneous.
No, Al Franken is attempting with his new radio show to be the Liberal Limbaugh. It is put up or shut up time and Mr. Franken's ratings will decide which.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

He commented how nice it was to be on a show without commercials, but that his last show didn't have many commercials towards the end anyway. :) That was it. And his statements weren't foolish IMO, but that's another matter. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks