Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Real Time with Bill Maher

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#1 of 65 MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 08:26 AM

http://www.hbo.com/b....eat_main_image

This live (on HBO East, tape delayed on HBO West) talkshow features one of my favorite people to hate, Ann Coulter as a regular round-table guest. Also Larry Miller, who wrote a famously pro-Israeli/anti-Arabic article a while ago that somehow was credited to Dennis Miller by some people.

The special guest in the premiere is Sarah Silverman.

I'm gonna check it out and see how riled up I can get. Posted Image

/Mike
/Mike

#2 of 65 Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 10:31 AM

Mmmmm....Sarah...
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#3 of 65 Dan B

Dan B

Screenwriter

• 1,393 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 10:43 AM

I've been looking forward to this show...thanks for the reminder.

#4 of 65 Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Screenwriter

• 2,970 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 11:54 AM

I ready have this one scheduled for the Tivo.
Hopefully on HBO with no commercials the flow will be better then PI.

#5 of 65 MikeM

MikeM

Screenwriter

• 1,207 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 12:19 PM

Personally, I can't wait for this show. I've been looking forward to this show for months. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

It's also nice that I now have DirecTV, so even though I'm on the west coast, it will actually be live.

Can't wait!

#6 of 65 Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 12:58 PM

Does anyone know if this is available on a Canadian station?

Thanks,
Peter

#7 of 65 Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted February 21 2003 - 05:32 PM

Watched it tonight, loved it. Felt fresh, topical stuff, stand up acts, etc. Though WHY THE HELL WAS CHRIS ROCK THERE? He's not funny and it seemed as if it was just his loud and annoying way to plug his upcoming, surefire bomb, soon to hit theaters. Keep his schtick off my TV Bill and I'll be there every week.

#8 of 65 Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor

• 953 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 06:49 PM

Ann Coulter! Mmmmm...Ann...
Danny Federici, we'll meet you in the land of hope and dreams

#9 of 65 Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted February 22 2003 - 02:52 AM

Quote:

WHY THE HELL WAS CHRIS ROCK THERE? He's not funny and it seemed as if it was just his loud and annoying way to plug his upcoming, surefire bomb, soon to hit theaters.
---------------------

Perhaps because he's a friend of Bill Maher and also had a show on HBO, and the fact that walk on cameos are nothing new. I thought Ann Coulter's microphone was too much louder than the other guest, they need to balance the volume on future shows. However, I enjoyed the point that Bill Maher made when he told her "She makes up shit" meaning ignoring facts to gain advantage during discussions.

BTW For some reason Ann Coulter reminds me of a Greyhound dog i.e. Westminster Dog Show.

#10 of 65 Dan B

Dan B

Screenwriter

• 1,393 posts

Posted February 22 2003 - 07:29 AM

Quote:
However, I enjoyed the point that Bill Maher made when he told her "She makes up shit" meaning ignoring facts to gain advantage during discussions.
Yeah, that was in response to her claim that George Bush Sr. was a "nobody" who had no influence on George Bush Jr.'s career.

I liked the show, although it was a little celebratory being the first episode. Hopefully, it'll get a little more down-n-dirty in the future...and I'm sure it will. Posted Image

That guy who did the report on terrorism looked familiar...was he on Mr. Show with Bob & David?

#11 of 65 Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted February 22 2003 - 07:33 AM

Quote:
That guy who did the report on terrorism looked familiar...was he on Mr. Show with Bob & David?

Yup!

#12 of 65 RobertW

RobertW

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts

Posted February 23 2003 - 08:45 AM

sarah silverman is hot, but i just do not find her funny in the least.

#13 of 65 MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted February 23 2003 - 10:21 AM

Sarah Silverman's stand-up act was horribly unfunny. She said one thing that made me smile, but I don't even remember what it was.

Chris Rock's appearance was cringe-inducing, especially when he repeated the same joke he said in the "phone call" and nobody laughed (because they'd heard it 30 seconds earlier already).

The rest of the show was great, IMO. Loved the opening skit with Larry David, loved the discussions, hated Ann Coulter as usual Posted Image, loved the "terrorism alert report", loved Bill's opening monologue. IMO, he just "makes up shit" as much as Ann though. Posted Image

Larry Miller had some funny comments, that was a welcome relief in some of the discussions.

I'm definitely season-passing this show.
/Mike

#14 of 65 Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit

• 436 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 07:10 AM

The new show was FUCKING terrible. Bill Maher went from a Libertarian on ABC to a far leftist on HBO. Its an obvious attempt to become the Liberal Rush Limbaugh and I think its totaly disingeneous.

BTW anyone notice how first he says that North Korea has rockets that could reach LA and then 5 minutes later claims that a Missle Shield is usless because theres no missle threat? HUH?
Guess I'm gonna watch something else on Fridays before Ali G.
"We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what someone else did." - Thomas Sowell

#15 of 65 Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 10:22 AM

I don't want to get into a political debate here. I'll just say I was pleasantly surprised by this first show and will be catching it every week.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#16 of 65 John_Lee

John_Lee

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 10:31 AM

I've always taken issue with his characterization of 'Seinfeld' as the epitome of greed and lack of consequence. Ironic he would open with that bit w/Larry David.
He used to rail that the characters got away with everything. And it seemed to me that the essence of the show was that they NEVER got away with anything, but they just didn't care. Kramer can't even hit golf balls into the ocean without it coming back to bite George in the patoot. George couldn't pawn off cigars from his girlfriend's father, without Kramer burning the guy's cabin down with them. That's why I loved the finale, everything coming home to roost. Everyone they'd wronged providing the character evidence to put them in the hoosegow.

#17 of 65 MikeM

MikeM

Screenwriter

• 1,207 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 01:19 PM

I liked the new show quite a bit. I was a bit let down when I heard that the panel won't be as diverse as Politically Incorrect. I always found it relaly interesting to hear the opinions of authors, politicians, etc., most of whom I had never heard of.

And yes, I found Sarah Silverman to be really funny. But that's just me.

#18 of 65 Ike

Ike

Screenwriter

• 1,677 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 01:33 PM

Quote:
And yes, I found Sarah Silverman to be really funny. But that's just me.

Me too. I dig Silverman's sense of humour.

I'm gonna let the show grow on me, then see how I feel about it.

#19 of 65 Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 02:40 PM

Quote:
I was a bit let down when I heard that the panel won't be as diverse as Politically Incorrect.
How could it not be more diverse than before. His previous show was slanted heavily towards the liberal side as usually there were three liberal guests who Maher typically sided with on most topics against one token conservative guest. Just wondering if Maher did a commentary on his new show where he tried to defend the foolish statements that got him canned from his previous gig.

Quote:
Bill Maher went from a Libertarian on ABC to a far leftist on HBO. Its an obvious attempt to become the Liberal Rush Limbaugh and I think its totaly disingeneous.
No, Al Franken is attempting with his new radio show to be the Liberal Limbaugh. It is put up or shut up time and Mr. Franken's ratings will decide which.

#20 of 65 MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 04:48 PM

Just wondering if Maher did a commentary on his new show where he tried to defend the foolish statements that got him canned from his previous gig.

He commented how nice it was to be on a show without commercials, but that his last show didn't have many commercials towards the end anyway. Posted Image That was it. And his statements weren't foolish IMO, but that's another matter. Posted Image
/Mike

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow