What's new

Michael Jackson interviewer Martin Bashir - BUSTED! (1 Viewer)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
How sleazy can you get? I hope that tonight's Fox special lights a fire under this sorry excuse for a journalist. Personally, I've never believed the child sex allegations about MJ, but I do think the segment about Bubbles the chimp made him look a bit out of his mind. I also believe that despite what he says, he has had more than just 2 cosmetic surgeries. But overall, I think the special did a good job of exposing Mr. Bashir of the slanderous bastard that he is.

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
I'm floored I can't believe I'm watching a show on FOX that shows Michael in a positive light. It was definitely the best MJ special out of the bunch. The only thing that I was disappointed by was the fact that they didn't contradict Barbra Walters’s unneeded comment that MJ is only worth $300 million. (I was hoping to hear that he was the richest man in the world) Also I want conformation on the fact that Michael is going to live forever. But getting an update on Bubbles will do. ;)

Can anyone come up with someone who is on MJ's level? As far as fame, notoriety and popularity globally. At first I thought of Michael Jordan but I think he could go to the grocery store with out 10 cameramen following him around. He mostly doesn't have to have security with him 24/7. I couldn't come up with any Hollywood actors or actresses since a Tom Cruise or Julia Roberts can walk around in a few countries and not be known.

BTW I can't wait tell David Letterman goes HD because I can no longer watch Jay, he's on some type of Anti Michael Jackson campaign. And no matter what, if someone were to do those things to your kid there's no way you can settle out of court. You let it go to trial and then get all the money you want in civil court. No one could ever convince me that those people weren't just looking for a payday.

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
I can agree with O.J. here in the US but do people in the U.K. pay him any attention? It just seems weird for people to sometime question M.J. (as far as what’s normal) when it’s hard to compare him to anyone else as far as what he must have to go through. (can it be quantified?) He has to take measures for his protection (and kids) than only political leaders have to deal with. And while I think it’s unlikely that some one could get away the hold his kids for ransom here the states, if he were to be some where in South America or Europe and his kids were to be taken he may have no choice.

WayneG

Stunt Coordinator
Because of MJ's fame he was able to pull off the FOX rebuttle. I think it showed the "norm" of journalism, and I'm sure this type of thing is done all the time. ABC would never have aired the original if it wasn't salicious. FOX would never have aired a Michael is wonderful two-hour special were it not a response to the controversy.

I agree though that Bashir looked really bad at the end when he expressed his disbelief that Michael's true nature had never been revealed in an interview. He obviously knows why!

CharlesD

Screenwriter
umm... this is FOX we're talking about here. They don't give a crap about "the truth" anymore than Bashir did. They are simply exploiting the notoriety of the original interview with their own slander. IF there had been a pro-MJ interview originally the content of this special would have the opposite. Maury Povich, FOX and legitimate journalism, yeah right.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
That's hilarious RobertW!

The big rebuttal show on Fox did nothing to change my perception of Michael Jackson. He is a freak. His kids are doomed to grow up to be even freakier.

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
In general it would have been best if Michael had chosen HBO to do a more documentary style interview. That way with no star interviewer the segment would have been more objective. It would have come across more as the life of Michael Jackson verses a review of his past.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i just wonder what happens to michael's kids once they start reaching young adulthood. it's obvious his attention is drawn to younger kids, and once his own reach the ages of fifteen or so, i can see him shuffling them off to be cared for by his subordinates, and never spending another second with them. the guy is just whacked out of his mind.

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
Why is Michael Jackson so revered in other countries? We Americans do like watching train wrecks, we don't care that he hasn't released a decent piece of music in 20 years, he's an enigma and we seem to like that; but why is it that other countries seem to elevate him to nearly worshipful status? At least it seems they do and always have, maybe I'm wrong. But why is this?

Chris

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, I don't know about "revered", but I believe other countries are more willing to seperate a celebrity's public and private life. Jackson's a weirdo, sure, but that will have very little to do with how good an album "Thriller" is (or how good an entertainer he is now, to which I can't testify). I think it's got to do with most countries having a more recent connection to a royal family that the US; celebrities get treated like royals, where the public may disapprove of their actions, but also allows them their indiscretions because, approve or disapprove, the guy will still be King someday.

And it's not just Michael Jackson; as crass as American celebrity culture can be, based on what I've seen, it's actually somewhat mild in the US compared to many other countries (of course, what makes the news here is also the extreme stuff).

[/talking out of my ass]

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
As the LA District Attorney's office made quite clear, the case against this pedophile was a slam dunk until Michael paid off the parents of the star witness. All of the peripheral evidence supported the victim's claims.

And, even Jackson's camp now admits that the sum paid to the family was "somewhere in excess of 20 million." Most insiders have said the actual figure is either $35 million, or $36 million. Those have been the consistent figures reported (always off the record, due to the confidentiality rules).

So, one should perhaps ask... does a popular celebrity spend a chunk of change such as this to merely "avoid the prolonged publicity" of a very public trial, and to make it all go away? $20 to $35 million? Keep in mind that Mr. Jackson knew that this sum was going to make things a bit financially difficult for him, for a number of years (as it has, according to all reports I have read).

Oswald shot Kennedy. Shakespeare wrote the plays. O. J. did it. And, Michael Jackson really does have a problem with little boys.

The Fox Special was the ultimate in "sleaze" as they tried to find a smoking gun on the editing floor, when it just was not there.

-Bruce in Chi-Town

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I'll admit that I didn't watch the FOX special, but from the clips I saw on the commercials, it seemed like the bulk of the evidence they were going to show was basically Bashir acting friendly towards MJ and telling him stuff he wanted to hear. If you're trying to interview someone like MJ, I don't think you'll be able to spend 8 months with him by coming out and bashing him every second you get. Personally, if I were tasked with getting a comprehensive view of the guy, I'd spend 8 months praising him and staying on his good side, while only occasionally bringing up the controversial stuff and backing off as soon as he seemed uncomfortable, then hitting him with everything all at once in the follow-up. Just like Bashir did. He allowed MJ's bizarre persona to come out on its own in the footage that was put together. Had he pushed harder, he never could have stuck around for 8 months. MJ surrounds himself with yes-men, and can't stand to be forced to deal with reality. I think Bashir did what he knew he needed to do to get the story he got.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I can agree with O.J. here in the US but do people in the U.K. pay him any attention?
Yes, absolutely - we in the UK followed the trial as a fine example of the American legal system at work.

Returning to the central topic, it doesn't matter how enthusiastically Michael Jackson is defended, there is an old truth that two wrongs don't make a right. The fact remains that Michael Jackson made some rather unusual statements and was filmed doing some rather unusual things. Anything said about Martin Bashir does not alter the fact that these things were said and done, unless someone is seriously going to suggest that Bashir drugged or hypnotised Jackson into saying or doing them.

florence franks

Stunt Coordinator
"We Americans do like watching train wrecks, we don't care that he hasn't released a decent piece of music in 20 years"

Keep we americans lines to yourself, because its obviously your opinion. Invincible is not that old and I along with 5 million others owner would not agree with that statement in least.

"As the LA District Attorney's office made quite clear, the case against this pedophile was a slam dunk until Michael paid off the parents of the star witness. All of the peripheral evidence supported the victim's claims."

Ah sure. A kid that'a been given mind altering drugs during time( delusions, confusion, suggestive state) by his father that has track record for scams. I'd be abit more careful on your judgements bruce, sure you would not like it in least if someone posted you were pedophile on this forum, it would have same amount proof as one your offering.

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
Yes, Florence, it is my opinion. I apologize. I don't care about Jackson's fame, and even less about his music. I was generalizing in my statement and I'm sorry I made it sound so sweeping.

Chris

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Keep we americans lines to yourself, because its obviously your opinion. Invincible is not that old and I along with 5 million others owner would not agree with that statement in least.
If 5 million Americans bought "Invincible" then that means that there are 285.3 million Americans who didn't buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks