What's new

Superbit strikes again...this time for "Heavy Metal" fans (1 Viewer)

Eric F

Screenwriter
D'oh! This is actually bad news for me. Now I'll have to buy it. Maybe I'll just pass this by and wait for the HD-DVD version.;)

MatS

Screenwriter
the extensive supplements for this movie (on the original disc) are worth way more to me than the slight improvements in audio and picture, and I certainly don't watch this movie enough to double dip

skip

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Note that although I believe the old disc offered the same Dolby mix found here, I gave it a “B+” in my older review. This score variation most likely represents my changing attitudes as a reviewer and should not indicate that the two mixes differ. Since I can’t compare the two directly, I can’t unequivocally say that both Dolby tracks are identical, but I’d be surprised if they weren’t.
He concludes that the new disc "gives us the superior presentation of the movie itself"--yet he never made a direct comparison between the two releases.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Colin Jacobson is the most critical DVD reviewer and maybe the most technical when it comes to video and audio remarks. I trust he is on target as I seem to always agree with his calls.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
This statement is enough to piss me off..
Frankly, I was shocked at how bad this movie was. I knew the music would bite - after all, the soundtrack mainly focused on the hard rock or metal from the late Seventies and early Eighties, and that stuff was genuinely terrible. Journey? Sammy Hagar? Nazareth? When Stevie Nicks and Black Sabbath – the post-Ozzy version of the band - are the acts that remain the biggest deal from your soundtrack, you know you're in trouble. For some strange reason, the phrase "pathetically dated music" springs to mind – not that any of this crap was good even back in the Eighties.
:rolleyes
...well at least he's not being biased....anymore than I am for loving this music and considering it no worse that most of the crap that's out there today...I'm 34..forgive me...;)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
...well at least he's not being biased....anymore than I am for loving this music and considering it no worse that most of the crap that's out there today...I'm 34..forgive me...
Of course I'm biased! I've been a huge music fan my whole life, and while you're correct that the tracks heard on Heavy Metal aren't any worse than the majority of today's pop, that ain't saying much. You can say "this crap's no worse than THAT crap", but both are still crap!

And I'm 35, so age isn't a factor. I couldn't stand the cheesy music from the acts heard in HM back when I was a teen, and I can't stand it now. (I also think the music's aged REALLY poorly - it sounds worse to me now than it did 20 years ago...)

C

Chris*Liberti

Why is everyone on this board so infactuated with extras I do not know anyone personally who watches ANY extras ever. The only thing I occasionally will listen to are the director commentaries and this is only with a handful of directors. I only care about the best picture and sound possible.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Colin, keep up the good work.

As far as extras, I rarely watch them (only on a few movies). I would ALWAYS take a superior video and audio track over extras. The movie is what counts to me (so many people seem to have lost sight of this).

Eric F

Screenwriter
Generalizations will get you nowhere. I happen to like extras, when they are done well. The extras on Heavy Metal happen to be excellent- including the one long cut sequence which is truly amazing and a work of art. Makes you sad it wasn't in the movie.

That said, I will buy a Superbit edition IF there is a significant improvement over the original. At this point I'm just not sure if it's worth investing into Superbit because DVD-HD doesn't seem that far away anymore.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
And I'm 35, so age isn't a factor. I couldn't stand the cheesy music from the acts heard in HM back when I was a teen, and I can't stand it now. (I also think the music's aged REALLY poorly - it sounds worse to me now than it did 20 years ago...)
Whoa, calm down there friend. I had my tongue in my cheek and I don't mean to step on your love for The Carpenters or Chicago..or Devo...or whatever..;)

As far as the music goes...well...it is a matter of personal taste as to whether late 70's early 80's Hard rock/"Heavy Metal" was cheesy or has dated badly, if you never liked it to begin with you can't really say it has dated badly from a objective point of view....but I guess we're talking about "Personal Taste" here so Subjective is the word of the day and so from a subjective point of view I must say...The Movie's Called Heavy Metal For Dio's Sake! What Were You Expecting.... Prokofiev's 5th Symphony?!?! DON'T MESS WHIT MY PRECIOUS METAL!!!
....go off and listen to Nu Shooze or Taco..or Hall & Oats...you filthy little..(mumble..mumble)

...I...I'm sorry about that..I don't know what came over me..t..that was uncalled for....I have to go listen to some Budgie now...

Seriously, do you mind if I ask what you did listen to "back in the day" to use the vernacular of those crazy modern kids.

Ned

Supporting Actor
I only care about the best picture and sound possible.

We're the minority Chris.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The Movie's Called Heavy Metal For Dio's Sake! What Were You Expecting.... Prokofiev's 5th Symphony?!?! DON'T MESS WHIT MY PRECIOUS METAL!!!
IMO, there's relatively little "metal" in the film. Stevie Nicks is a metal artist? Journey? Most of the music's commercial, somewhat harder-edged pop. Cheap Trick aren't exactly headbangers, y'know?

And when I stated the music hadn't aged well, I meant that above and beyond my dislike for it. Back then it just sounded lame to me. Now it sounds lame AND dated - it all feels very much like a part of its time. Ie, it ain't aged well!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yes, but it can't be "above and beyond your dislike for it" when you also use a statement like "..sounded lame to me" immediately afterwards, you already stated that you never liked the music to begin with so for you to also say that it hasn't aged well is rather redundant. Of course it hasn't aged well for you, you never liked it to begin with.
As far as the argument of it sounding dated...you're seriously telling me that the Stones, The Kinks & The Police don't sound like a product of their time? Of course they do, as do The Beatles (mind you I happen to like all of the above), so it really does come down to a matter of personal taste as to whether "they have or haven't aged very well", to me this is a rather subjective opinion but you seem to present it as if you believed it to be an objective fact (at least that is how I interpreted your "And when I stated the music hadn't aged well, I meant that above and beyond my dislike for it." statement.).

As far as it being "Metal", #1 my saying "don't mess wit my metal" was a joke (I'm not sure if you understand this or not) but #2 I already stated that it was a mix of
In the PBS series "Rock And Roll", which originally aired on September
26, 1995, in the fifth hour entitled "Crossroads," "Chas" Chandler was
interviewed in his capacity as manager of the Jimi Hendrix Experience
in 1969. In discussing the origin of the music genre phrase, "Heavy Metal",
he said ".....it was a term originated in a New York Times article
reviewing a Jimi Hendrix performance." Chandler said the author called
the Hendrix Experience "...like listening to heavy metal falling from the
sky."
..so I guess it depends on what you define as Heavy Metal at the time of the films release.
Here's an interesting link to one site about the origin of the term.
Does the film contain a mix of popular music of the time like Devo and Stevie Nicks?...you mean films actually do that?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well i love this movie and the music.
i cant wait to hear all this in glorious dts surround sound.

i also have my recently purchased cd of the soundtrack that has 16 songs on it.
4 of which are not heavy or metal but pop ballads.

but the rest is very good i think.

especuially QUEEN BEE by GRAND FUNK.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I agree that presentation is important. But extras have their place as well. I'm first and foremost a film lover. Extras provide me with an insight into the various stages of a film and it's history. I find things like that fascinating. Do I have my priorities wrong? This is, after all, a home theater forum. But, if I had to choose between a superbit LOTR, or the collector's gift set that I currently own, I would probably choose the latter. Quality extras are in abundance and the presentation is impeccable.

Shabba Dabba Ding Dong. :)

Users who are viewing this thread