Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone gonna pickup Burnout2 for XBox or GC?

Xbox

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   paul h

paul h

Supporting Actor

• 551 posts

Posted February 19 2003 - 11:19 PM

It's an excellent game on the PS2 and seems like Criterion are going the extra mile to make sure its even better on XB and GC ...

"We've increased the size of what seemed to be the most popular game mode in B2, which is the Crash Mode. On the PS2 version, there are 15 crash junctions to unlock. For Gamecube and Xbox, we went back to the drawing board and decided to create 13 all-new crash junctions - we finished two of them for the PS2 version but they did not make it into the final release version, so that gives us 30 junctions in total."

"On the Xbox version, we have 5.1 Dolby Digital audio, an extra couple of decal sets for the Custom Series vehicles (so there are some Xbox-exclusive cars in there), and we have statistics-only support for the new Xbox Live service, which launches in March. Also, we've included a custom soundtrack option so Xbox owners can race to their own choice of music, plus the 'boost increase' still works even with your own music playing.

"In addition, we have the usual 16:9, 50/60hz options, Wavebird support, and progressive scan for NTSC stuff that people expect from us these days."

"Speed. Sixty frames a second is where it's at. There is no other framerate. All these Xbox games we keep seeing running at 30fps just make us smile."

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted February 20 2003 - 12:59 AM

I'll definitely be there for the XBox version. It sounds like Criterion is making sure this one doesn't turn out like that unspeakable port of Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2.
This message ends with Todd.

Hey kid you got no class. Hit the bums, kid. Run like the devil. Get a tin can and take up mooching. Knock on back doors for a nickel.
Tell them your story. Make 'em weep. You could have been a meat-eater, kid. But you didn't listen to me when I laid it down.
Stay off...

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Chris Rock

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor

• 716 posts

Posted February 20 2003 - 01:28 AM

When does the XBox version come out? I looked on EBGames.com and it was nowhere to be found.

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted February 20 2003 - 01:41 AM

Chris,

I don't know the release date but IGN has a preview up. You may want to check Gamespot as well.
This message ends with Todd.

Hey kid you got no class. Hit the bums, kid. Run like the devil. Get a tin can and take up mooching. Knock on back doors for a nickel.
Tell them your story. Make 'em weep. You could have been a meat-eater, kid. But you didn't listen to me when I laid it down.
Stay off...

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   JamesH

JamesH

Supporting Actor

• 664 posts

Posted February 20 2003 - 03:26 AM

Quote:
All these Xbox games we keep seeing running at 30fps just make us smile

A not so subtle dig at EA(presumably). I love these guys!

I went with the PS2 version of Burnout though, simply on the strength of the GT Force wheel.

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson

Second Unit

• 347 posts

Posted February 20 2003 - 05:41 PM

I might get this game just on principle. I don't mind ports when a developer doesn't try to insult my intelligence and shovel some shit my way knowing I'll buy it because I'm a "true" gamer or whatever the hell that term is. I'm a consumer first and foremost and if the product isn't to my liking or up to my standards it gets left in the store.
In the end only the fittest survive in this world. If you are strong you live...and if you are weak you die. I am the one who deserves to live. - Shishio Makoto

What's really gonna make your noodle limp is when you realize that Thomas Anderson is an anagram for "No Modern Asshat".
Deep... -...

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 12:38 AM

Quote:
I don't mind ports when a developer doesn't try to insult my intelligence

As opposed to a developer making it known before the launch of the original version that it'll be multiplatform, then /just/ as the first version launches say it's going to be single platform only? Then three months later announce it as multiplatform?

I feel /that/ insults my intelligence as a consumer.
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   paul h

paul h

Supporting Actor

• 551 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 05:17 AM

Another good interview with Criterion posted here ...

http://www.gamesdoma...icles/1406.html

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Josh_SR

Josh_SR

Stunt Coordinator

• 105 posts

Posted March 29 2003 - 01:59 PM

i got an ps2 & xbox but im getting the gc burnout2...

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Dave F

Dave F

Screenwriter

• 2,891 posts

Posted March 29 2003 - 02:57 PM

I'll probably get it, but I wish it had real Xbox Live support, rather than the lame score uploading. Posted Image I would rather have the game delayed 6 months & include XBL support.

-Dave
DVD List

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted March 29 2003 - 03:46 PM

I'm a big fan of the extra modes on the PS2 Burnout2, but I'm really not sure if there's enough in it overall to make me want to buy it on the Xbox, despite the improvements.

And I still stand by my comment earlier in this thread...
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Damien

Damien

Supporting Actor

• 508 posts

Posted March 29 2003 - 11:16 PM

The only thing which would steer me towards the gamecube version is it ships on April 8, while the xbox version comes out on may 1st, which is a while later.

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted March 29 2003 - 11:35 PM

I'm might give it a rent, but there's just far too many racing games for me to own them all. I'm also interested in MotoGP 2 (which is a definite but), Midtown Madness 3, and Midnight Club, all of which will have full Live support. And then there's Colin Mcrae, Rallisport, and PGR that I haven't tried yet..... and then F-Zero and if I finally get a PS2 sometime I'll have to get GT3 and 4.

Jeesh.

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 05:49 AM

Quote:
I went with the PS2 version of Burnout though, simply on the strength of the GT Force wheel.

YES! I love playing this game on my wheel. It has some of the tightest arcade control I've ever played. My buddy just got a 52" HDTV, we plopped that wheel down in front of it and it was better than an arcade.

Sean

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh

Second Unit

• 392 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 09:38 AM

Quote:
As opposed to a developer making it known before the launch of the original version that it'll be multiplatform, then /just/ as the first version launches say it's going to be single platform only? Then three months later announce it as multiplatform?

Criterion have stated that it was originally intended for ps2 only, and had no intentions of doing ports, but after the critical and financial success of the game they realised that it was viable. Maybe the original Burnout port for Xbox & GC didn't sell as well as they would've liked?

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 09:48 AM

Quote:
Criterion have stated that it was originally intended for ps2 only,

For a good long time before the PS2 version of Burnout 2 was launched, it got coverage as being "multi platform". Then just before the PS2 launch, it was suddenly single platform with the "possibility" of a GCN port way way down the line.

For example:

IGN Xbox article on Burnout 2, June 2002. says "shown behind closed doors at this year's E3..."

Gaming Age preview from September 2002At this point, Burnout 2 is planned for release on the PlayStation 2, along with the Xbox and GameCube.

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Dave F

Dave F

Screenwriter

• 2,891 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 11:31 AM

Before Burnout 2 was released, I considered buying the 1st for Xbox, but held off when I heard about the Xbox release on Burnout 2. Then they made that weird announcement (read: lie) about how the Xbox/GCN versions were just rumors & never really planned.

Odd & aggravating at the same time.

-Dave
DVD List

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter

• 1,347 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 09:25 PM

I might get the Cube release at some point, but when I keep ignoring the PS2 one at £20 because I've got too many things to complete first forking over double that for the luxury of a few extra crash rounds and the comfort of my Wavebird it may well not happen...
mmm, thats odd.

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 12:29 AM

dammit....I just bought the PS2 version a month ago because it supported progressive scan and I didnt have to wait for the xbox. I can live with the pro logic II, but adding 13 new crash zones? THat is enough for a double dip from me!
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

Back to Video Gaming

Forum Nav Content I Follow