What's new

FPTV vs RPTV (1 Viewer)

NathanH

Stunt Coordinator
I'm attempting to select a display device for my home theater under $2000, with a screen that is about 80" in width. I'd much prefer a front projector to save space and have a more authentic theater feel. I've been eyeing the Infocus X1 as it is a low-cost, entry level front projector that seems to be best in its class. Someone has suggested that for a screen that small, I may as well buy a Rear Projection TV which will have a comparably sized picture and less long run cost.

Thoughts on the X1?

Thoughts on a RPTV vs FPTV for a screen under 80" and total cost of ownership?

Thanks,
Nathan

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I would go with a FPTV setup in a heartbeat. What will your seating distance to the screen be?

Garry S

Auditioning
There's no comparison - go with FPTV! The X1 is a great choice, and it will leave you open to use a larger screen later if you wish. With 1000 lumens, it is capable of a very impressive 100" picture in a home theater with reasonably good light control.

Here's a link to a good review on the X1:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/infocus_x1.htm

Go with a Front Projector and you will never go back.

over 9 years enjoying front projector, on my third projector, first one with HD capability

Roger

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I'd go with FP in a heartbeat if I had the money and a dedicated room where I could control the light.

Jan

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
What about the picture quality of a FP straight out of box with a prog. dvd player? Does it stll be a RPTV out of box? I understand you can get HTPC, but I'm curious as too how they compare with just a dvd player. Just wondering if I shold kick my own ass for spending 3 grand on a tv when I could have had a far better and bigger picture for the same amount.

NathanH

Stunt Coordinator
Neil,

Thanks for the response :)

I'm going to place the first seats approximately 8 - 10 feet from the screen. I'm still firming up the actual room design to be in the basement, but it will be one of the following dimensions:

15 X 19
16 X 16

I'm well aware of the audio repurcussions of "square-ish" rooms, but that dilemma is for another thread :)

Nathan

LaMarcus;

In my system I have my DVD running straight to the projector it looks great, it is a high quality DVD, not your average $69 DVD. I also have HDTV from a Hughes DirecTV STB. I did get a IScan DVDO V2 line doubler for LD, VCR and SD DirecTV signals. These lower quality signals looked OK through my old projector, but when I upgraded and increased the size of the screen to 100 inches, some signals looked soft so I got the line doubler, it increased the quality to a reasonable level. HD and Progressive Scan DVD still look better.

In my opinion the picture of a Front Projector is much better than that of a rear projector. You do need to be able to control lighting for a front projector to work well though. Some other advantages the FP has is portability, computer usage, no calibration hassles, and when the bulb goes out I just replace one, not three.

Roger

I just got my NEC LT240 projector. BTW, according to the instructions it can be used to project both front and rear (maybe they all can, i don't know).

With front projection you definetly have to get the light in the room down, if you can do that, it's just incredible.
My first night I ended up watching the matrix on it with only the little projector speaker and on a wall with a bunch of holes in it. Just a picture that big in your house is amazing.

I think the clarity is about as good as a rear projection as long as you keep distance away from the screen in perspective. A 60 inch rear for instance from ten feet away will look more clear then my 92+ inch image from the same distance. I personally think it's worth the tradeoff.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
:frowning: I don't think I needed to hear this. I just upgraded my entire sound system (Pioneer D811s, Jbl S 26/s-center, svs). So after such a purchase I said I'll have to wait till next year for the FP I planned on getting, and just have my tv ISF'd. But hearing this makes me say save the $500 and save money to get the FP..jeez.

NathanH

Stunt Coordinator
Ladies and Gentlemen, I think I have been convinced. The Infocus X1 will be the display device of choice. I even found a place I think will demo it for me in Indianapolis :) I'll have a site up soon detailing the entire building process of the dedicated home theater. I thank you for your input!!!

Nathan

NathanH

Stunt Coordinator
Looks pretty good - I'll check it out. I'm definately decided on an FPTV. My budget and "newbie-ness" is limiting me to the under $2000 range..... at least until I get REEEEAAAALLLLY into it ....... mmmuuuuuhhhhaaahhhhaaaa......

Nathan

BobRoulier

Second Unit
LaMarcus, I know what you mean I recently bought a mits 65" platinum plus series rptv awesome picture but after hearing so much about the new pjs I decided to sell my mits and I ordered a sony hs10 I have a 10'x5' screen that I built. I am ready for the movies:D my hs10 should be here in a couple of weeks I bought it sight unseen but from the reviews on avs Im sure I will be happy:D

Btw after a year of use of my rptv after I sold it and ordered my hs10 I still had money left over!

Bob

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Bob you are building a 5'x10' screen? What construction process are you using? I am in the middle of building a measly 49" x 87" screen and had enough of a hard time finding materials big enough. I did not want to use blackout fabric.

David Giles

Stunt Coordinator
LaMarcus,

I wouldn't sweat your decision too much. Just enjoy your TV for another year or so, then sell it and get one of the next generation projectors, which will probably blow away the models we're waxing rhapsodically about now.

BUT I definitely wouldn't spend the $500 on calibration if I were you now that you've got the projector bug. Ever since I got my Mits I wanted to have it calibrated, and about three months ago I came extremely close to paying $750 for one of the most highly regarded Mitsubishi calibrators. Boy would my wife have been pissed if I'd done that and then sold it for a projector 3 months later.

Now I'm absolutely sure that he would have made the picture look even better than it already did on my TV. But unless he knows some trick I'm not aware of, he couldn't have made the picture any bigger :)

And like Bob, I didn't suffer financially when I made the switch. I had my Mits for about 21 months, and I just sold it for $1850 and paid $1889 for the projector.

David

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
I'm also thinking about buying a Front Projector. BUT, I want to keep my fairly new Pioneer Elite PRO-620HD, which has been ISF calibrated. We do watch quit a bit of standard def cable.

Question, and I may need to start a new thread on this!
What are the chances that I could somehow install a retractable screen that would come down in front of my RPTV?

I am thinking that I may need to do some remodeling to my room to accomplish this. (Please see my HT Pics, that stupid support pole is a real nuisance!)

I want the FP mainly for DVD, HD, and sporting events!! I'm thinking that I could roll my RPTV out from the wall when watching it, as my seating would probably be further back than my current 10'.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Bob you are building a 5'x10' screen? What construction process are you using? I am in the middle of building a measly 49" x 87" screen and had enough of a hard time finding materials big enough. I did not want to use blackout fabric.

Neil, I framed a 5'x10' support and hung my Sheetrock, taped compounded,sanded and primed. I plan on waiting to see what size screen my hs10 looks better on and I will experiment with lighter shades of gray to match the firehawk or greyhawk (paint colors that is) since I am a professional painter I have the ability to play around. I also plan on putting curtains up around the screen so I can use the curtains to my advantage if I decide to go with a smaller screen;)

Good luck, Bob

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
For Firehawk paint, I have been using "Tremco - High Heat Enamel - Aluminium" but that's a whole other thread on that topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks