-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Will anyone be down-grading their Panic Room DVDs?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 11:57 PM

Usually, we buy the original version, and then when the Superbit comes out, we upgrade to Superbit, and get rid of the lower quality disc, but this time it's switched around. We already have the upgraded disc, and the "Special Edition" that is in the works, is obviously going to have a worse transfer than the Superbit DVD.

My question, of course is, is anyone willing to down-grade their DVD for a lower quality "Special Edition"? I was thinking about getting it for a while, just to hear Fincher's commentary, but I think that the most important thing for me, is the picture and sound quality, and not extras. Having said that, I don't think I want to get the Special Edition, for the very reasons that I mentioned above. What I probably will do though, is rent the DVD, just to hear the commentary and that will be all. I will not be buying it though.

#2 of 32 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 12:07 AM

I specifically waited on this title and will definitely be buying an SE of this movie. I have a policy against buying any movie that doesn't have extras and can easily be rented, and even though I'm a big David Fincher fan, I simply couldn't justify spending the money on this disc when I can rent it up to four times for the same price. While picture & sound quality are definitely important to me, I'm simply not as picky as many others. I would much rather have a one or more commentary tracks and any other extras that they can pack on without mistreating the picture quality.

#3 of 32 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,375 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 12:43 AM

Panic Room is a short film. It is entirely possible that a simple, single commentary track can be added without forcing higher compression.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#4 of 32 James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 12:51 AM

Quote:
Panic Room is a short film. It is entirely possible that a simple, single commentary track can be added without forcing higher compression.

I know this has been discussed before Mr Harris, and this is not a dig at you personally - but we're getting into the whole 'Superbit' argument again.

Now I don't dispute that the existing 'Superbit' Panic Room is an outstanding transfer that duplicates the film's look precisely. (Which is all you can ask for, no matter if the disc is labelled 'Superbit' or not)

I do dispute the whole marketing of 'Superbit' titles - while 'Superbit' may succeed as a mark of quality (again something I don't dispute), it fails on the marketing, which is pretty close to lies in my own opinion. The very presence of a French DD track on Panic Room shows that commentary tracks could be included on the other 'Superbit' releases, even though Sony's marketing would have you believe not.

It's interesting that the UK R2 Panic Room, which only difference is less language tracks (and perhaps a few more subtitle tracks), is not labeled as 'Superbit'.

UK Listing on Blackstar
"Would you recommend this movie to a friend?"
"Only if I was friendly with Hitler."

#5 of 32 Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

Producer

• 3,973 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 01:39 AM

Yes, I would "downgrade". The transfers seen on other non-Superbit titles have been impressive to me on many cases. If the Special Edition contains a good transfer and wise choice in encoding, which a relatively short film with one commentary should be more than capable, I think it would be a wise investment. I don't believe many will say that the Platinum Series of Fincher's previous movies have been disappointments, and this could be up to the same level of quality.

Of course, should the transfer not live up to expectations, I can always keep the Superbit for watching and the SE for extras.

#6 of 32 Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,263 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 01:56 AM

I intentionally skipped the Superbit to get the SE, so I guess that counts as a yes.

#7 of 32 Adam_WM

Adam_WM

Screenwriter

• 1,626 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 02:00 AM

Quote:
I intentionally skipped the Superbit to get the SE, so I guess that counts as a yes.

Ditto.

#8 of 32 P and SO

P and SO

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 02:44 AM

Threeto Posted Image

#9 of 32 Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 02:47 AM

Quote:
the "Special Edition" that is in the works is obviously going to have a worse transfer than the Superbit DVD

How do you know? Have you seen it?

For example, people were all worked up about Cinema Paradiso being ruined by including both versions of the film on one DVD. It ended up being a two-sided disc with each version on a side.

Until the Panic Room SE is available, we have no way of knowing whether the transfer will be worse or--gasp--better than the Superbit version. Judging from the many complaints in this thread, Panic Room - Is it Truely Superbit, there's room for improvement.
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#10 of 32 Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 08:13 AM

Randy A Salas

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the "Special Edition" that is in the works is obviously going to have a worse transfer than the Superbit DVD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
How do you know? Have you seen it?

Of course I have not seen it, but many people here suspect that horrible transfers are being done in order to re-release a good transfer on Superbit.

While, I don't have any proof that the DVDs in question had horrible transfers or not (I don't own an HD 65" TV), I tend to believe what the people on this forum say.

From what I have heard, "Spiderman" and "xXx" and numerous other Columbia/Tristar DVDs had "a transfer that was not as good as it could have been." Just so that Columbia could justify releasing a Superbit, making people who were unhappy with the picture quality of the first release, repurchase the title again, done right.

That's why I believe that the transfer on the Special Edition is going to be worse than the one out now, because Columbia will give you reason to own both versions. If the Special Edition, contained better quality than the Superbit, then there wouldn't be a reason to buy the Superbit version. Columbia wouldn't allow that, would they?

#11 of 32 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,654 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 08:16 AM

Fourto Posted Image

#12 of 32 Charlie Essmeier

Charlie Essmeier

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 09:06 AM

Since I have no interest in paying for extras that get viewed but once, I'll keep the Superbit.

I'd love to see DVD marketing go the way of laserdisc marketing - special edition now, and inexpensive movie-only version later.

My ultimate goal remains to press "play" and watch a movie. Perhaps we'll see that technology again one day.

Charlie

#13 of 32 Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 09:31 AM

Quote:
Of course I have not seen it, but many people here know that horrible transfers are being done in order to re-release a good transfer on Superbit.

While, I don't have any proof that the DVDs in question had horrible transfers or not (I don't own an HD 65" TV), I tend to believe what the people on this forum say.

From what I have heard, "Spiderman" and "xXx" and numerous other Columbia/Tristar DVDs had "a transfer that was not as good as it could have been." Just so that Columbia could justify releasing a Superbit, making people who were unhappy with the picture quality of the first release, repurchase the title again, done right.

Unless someone has claimed to have the inside track at Columbia, a simple review of the quality of a DVD can't reveal whether Columbia purposely harmed the quality of transfers in order to make Superbit discs more appealing. I don't think anyone here actually knows that poor transfers are being done on purpose.

DJ

#14 of 32 David Prior

David Prior

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 09:44 AM

I am here to assure you that the Special Edition will in now way be inferior to the existing release. In fact, it will be even closer to how Fincher desired the film to look theatrically. I'll clarify that more at a later date, but suffice to say that picture and sound quality are of tantamount importance to everyone involved, especially Fincher, and there will be no compromise on that. As some of you know, bit rate is only one of many factors involved in quality mastering. It's perfectly possible, if not common, to have a "high bitrate" disc look and sound identical or even worse than a disc with a lower bit rate but more careful compression work.

Thanks,
David Prior

#15 of 32 Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

Producer

• 3,973 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 10:03 AM

Thanks David. Your words are very encouraging. Posted Image

#16 of 32 Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

Producer

• 3,973 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 10:03 AM

*edit : Fastest Submit Button in the West. Double Post *

#17 of 32 Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 10:27 AM

Quote:
Now I don't dispute that the existing 'Superbit' Panic Room is an outstanding transfer that duplicates the film's look precisely.

I do. I thought the transfer was decidedly ordinary, particularly for a "Superbit" DVD.

Quote:
but many people here know that horrible transfers are being done in order to re-release a good transfer on Superbit.

Who, exactly and what films have "horrible" transfers. You are imputing that Columbia are deliberately creating sub-par transfers. I find that very hard to believe.

#18 of 32 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,702 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted February 18 2003 - 10:32 AM

I've held out, having never bought a superbit title, and hoping for the SE that was rumored as the initial release.
David Priors post tells me that I made a wise decision (for myself that is, no insult intended to all the Superbit fans!)

So... any news on when the SE is coming out?

#19 of 32 Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 11:42 AM

Thanks David. I'm glad I held out now.
My Collection

#20 of 32 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted February 18 2003 - 02:05 PM

I'm in agreement with most here, to assume that this new disc will be inferior, at least intentionally, is nonsense, let's see some reviews first before jumping the gun on quality issues. Besides, this is Columbia were talking about here, they always put out great product Superbit or otherwise.

I have the Superbit edition but will be picking up the new one also, it's a great film that deserves more bells and whistles than the current one. Besides, I have a 48" HD and am STILL hard pressed to see a difference with Superbit so it's inconsequential to me, but I won't open that can, simply an observation on my part. I also can't stand that ultra slim case it's in, I hope Columbia does away with that idea.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow