Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Mini Monitors vs Monitor 5

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   John*DII

John*DII

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 11:02 AM

I am thinking about buying a one of these 2 speakers for the surrounds to compliment my 11s. Just wanted to know if anyone has some opinions.

Thanks

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,547 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted February 17 2003 - 11:55 AM

http://www.hometheat....hlight=monitor
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Gary TP

Gary TP

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 03:36 AM

I went with the mini's over the 5's to complement my 11s. I made the right decision.

The mini's keep up with the 11s for surround duty and then some. If I'd gone with the 5s i'd probably just be regretful of the fact that I now have those huge tall rears that probably won't add much to the surround environnment.

Just my 2 cents but mini's tear it up nicely...

As mentioned in the above thread...an SPL meter is a MUST - those mini's/5's/7's/whatever as surrounds will need some tweaking to match the great output of the 11s...made a huge difference in my setup

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Jon Duke

Jon Duke

Stunt Coordinator

• 107 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 07:58 AM

I've also heard the Mini's (being the Swiss Army knife of Paradigm's line) work well with the Studio series.

Maybe others can verify this, as I have not heard this first hand, but should you choose to upgrade your fronts, it won't create the need to change your rears.

Again though, I haven't heard this myself.. But, it's always nice to be forward thinking in your present purchases.