Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Training Day: Super 35 or Panavision?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   John J Nelson

John J Nelson

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted February 16 2003 - 10:34 PM

Hi,

Could someone confirm whether Training Day was shot in Super 35 or with anamorphic lenses?

IMdB says it's Super 35, but I watched the film last night and elliptical highlights were clearly visible. I thought that these are artifacts introduced by anamorphic lenses?

-- J.
These are the new leads. These are the Glengarry leads. And to you they're gold, and you don't get them. Why? Because to give them to you is just throwing them away. They're for closers.

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,227 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 02:17 AM

I have seen this movie on cable, and the full screen transfer does look like panned and scanned Panavision. Close ups of character's heads seem to almost take up the whole screen which would indicate heavy Pan and Scan as apposed to open matte. Still many parts of Super 35 movies are still heavilly panned and scanned in Full Screen (and not just the visual effect shots) so I suppose it is tough to tell. Also IMDB is often incorrect about the film process. (although widemovies.com lists it as Super 35 as well)

Look at the closing credits and see if it says at the end "Filmed in Panavision" or "Filmed with Panavision Cameras and Lenses" Which means Super 35

But for the record, I have wondered about this myself
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 02:51 AM

Quote:
Look at the closing credits and see if it says at the end "Filmed in Panavision" or "Filmed with Panavision Cameras and Lenses" Which means Super 35

The closing credits are not a reliable guide on this point. There are many famous examples of mistakes (e.g., Silence of the Lambs says "Filmed in Panavision").

According to Widescreen Review's database, which I've generally found to be more reliable than IMDB, the film was shot with anamorphic lenses.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Juan C

Juan C

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 03:39 AM

It looked like Super35 to me.

Is it possible that they did some shots on Super35 and others on anamorphic 35mm?

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 03:56 AM

Quote:
It looked like Super35 to me.
Define "looked like Super35".

M.

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   HenrikTull

HenrikTull

Second Unit

• 470 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 04:44 AM

It could be shot with both lenses. Swordfish was both Super35 and anamorphic for example.
A Little Slice of Heaven

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 04:55 AM

Quote:
Swordfish was both Super35 and anamorphic for example.

What is your source for that information?

Of course it's theoretically possible to mix the filming formats, but it isn't very practical. Widescreen Review's database lists Swordfish with "principal photography" done in Panavision. I'm sure some of the effects shots used other formats (e.g., VistaVision), but that's not really what we're talking about here.

M.

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Magnus T

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 04:56 AM

He points it during the commentary.
There is no spoon...
but there is a fork with a cork!

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Tom_Bechet

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 05:49 AM

OK I know the difference between Super35 and panavision but what the **** does :

Quote:
elliptical highlights were clearly visible

mean??? Coz I haven't got a clue.
Thanks a lotPosted Image

Maybe this world is another planet's hell
Aldous Huxley

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 05:56 AM

Quote:
He points it during the commentary.

Can you pinpoint a location (scene or timemark)?

EDIT: Never mind, I found it. He doesn't say anything about "Super35"; he just notes that the opening sequence (and, apparently, only the opening sequence) was shot with special spherical lenses to obtain a particular effect. Nothing unusual there. Principal photography was still anamorphic.

M.

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   John J Nelson

John J Nelson

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 06:54 AM

Quote:
OK I know the difference between Super35 and panavision but what the **** does "elliptical highlights were clearly visible" mean??? Coz I haven't got a clue

Anamorphic lenses introduce tell-tale distortions or artifacts into the picture:
  • Out-of-focus light sources get stretched in the vertical plane, ie. they look like ellipses rather than spheres
  • Strong point light sources can produce a horizontal flare that stretches right across the frame (see "Moulin Rouge" for examples of this)
There may be others...

A.
These are the new leads. These are the Glengarry leads. And to you they're gold, and you don't get them. Why? Because to give them to you is just throwing them away. They're for closers.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Tom_Bechet

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 06:58 AM

thank youPosted Image

Maybe this world is another planet's hell
Aldous Huxley

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Ian Hay

Ian Hay

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 07:31 AM

Quote:
"elliptical highlights were clearly visible"

It is my understanding that, because no projector can play super 35 film natively, the printed film format of most, if not all, super 35 films is a 2.35 anamorphic image on ordinary 35mm film. That's why nearly all films that are listed as having a Super 35 "cinematographic process" in IMDB also note that the "printed format" is anamorphic.

That would readily explain why you see elliptical highlights in a printed 2.35 film shot in Super 35.

Good reference on Super 35 (I find many others misunderstand the nature of Super 35): http://www.cs.tut.fi...Ld/FilmToVideo/

See section 2.4

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 08:17 AM

Quote:
That would readily explain why you see elliptical highlights in a printed 2.35 film shot in Super 35.

No, it wouldn't. Making an anamorphic print from a film shot with spherical lenses (like when filming using Super35) doesn't cause elliptical lens flares in that print.

DJ

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 11:32 AM

Now day's Directors/Cinematographers 'add' digital effects to simulate flares.
So, be very careful/weary, of making a distinction of Pana vs. 35, based on "elliptical lens flares" only.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Ian Hay

Ian Hay

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 12:07 PM

Quote:
No, it wouldn't. Making an anamorphic print from a film shot with spherical lenses (like when filming using Super35) doesn't cause elliptical lens flares in that print.

Thanks for the correction.

(I had originally intended to say, "Wouldn't that readily explain why you see elliptical highlights in a printed 2.35 film shot in Super 35?")

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Juan C

Juan C

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 07:23 PM

Quote:
Define "looked like Super35".

I noticed several instances of circular out-of-focus lights in the background, which indicates those shots were done with spherical lenses.

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted February 17 2003 - 09:45 PM

Is it possible that Traning Day was shot hard matte Super 35? I know that The Negotiator was shot this way. It's been awhile since i've watched 'TD', but I don't recall seeing any anamorphic lense flares, I could be mistaken though.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow