Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: "Sunrise" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
140 replies to this topic

#41 of 141 OFFLINE   Gui A

Gui A

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 01:56 AM

Malcolm R said
Quote:
Everything I've seen says US and Canada only (excluding Quebec). Probably in order to satisfy Quebec's eccentric rules, the packaging would have to be bi-lingual and it's not worth it to Fox to meet those requirements.
It's not only that... A Quebec government department requires that around 3% of the total value of prizes be given to it... (.5% for international companies). More info in this post

#42 of 141 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 05:23 AM

Quote:
I only have a desire for one film on the list
Perhaps if you watched these other films you might possibly like them. Posted Image
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#43 of 141 OFFLINE   Ben Seibert

Ben Seibert

Stunt Coordinator

• 173 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 06:00 AM

I would love to get this and have only bought The Day the Earth Stood Still so far. What other eligable movies would you recommended?
Xbox Live GamerTag: Sherbz
My Games My Movies Top 20

#44 of 141 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 06:02 AM

Quote:
Perhaps if you watched these other films you might possibly like them.

Actually, Jeff... I've seen a number of them - I just don't want to own them. It would be nice if I could just purchase the one I want the most (Sunrise) and not be forced to buy something I'm not interested in.

Sunrise is among my favorite films of that era. Along with Eisenstein's films Potempkin and Stachka, Nosfiratu, M, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, most any Keaton or Chaplin film, Hitchcock's The Lodger, etc...

I really do hope there will be a retail release of this film. It is certainly deserving of it.

-Scott

#45 of 141 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 06:10 AM

Quote:
I really do hope there will be a retail release of this film. It is certainly deserving of it
There is a Laserdisc of this film on eBay right now.
Cogito, Ergo Sum

#46 of 141 OFFLINE   Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

• 573 posts

Posted March 08 2003 - 02:04 AM

Quote:
There is a Laserdisc of this film on eBay right now.

Though it won't be me, I'm sure you will find the 'free' DVD on eBay up in the next few months Posted Image .

This is not to justify Fox's policy, which I think is flawed. It is, however, their policy and there may be cost/political reasons for them. It might be a test to determine the real demand for such a product. It could be argued that if a good number of requests come in for this 'Sunrise' promotion that a subsequent commercial release will be justified as well as a number of other projects that may be on the 'bubble'.

Joel

#47 of 141 OFFLINE   Tommy G

Tommy G

Screenwriter

• 1,235 posts

Posted March 08 2003 - 02:15 AM

Unfortunately, I have to wait until I buy Laura (November) to be able to cash in on this deal. Oh well, I'll just have to keep myself busy with other dvds until then. Posted Image
Please release The Goodies on Region 1 DVD
My DVDs

#48 of 141 OFFLINE   kevin_y

kevin_y

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted March 14 2003 - 02:47 AM

Has anyone compared the Sunrise DVD against the '97 laserdisc version? I already watched the DVD, but never did see the LD.

I found some info on the latest restoration here:
http://www.filmmuseu...urnau/sunre.pdf

From what I saw on the DVD, the picture quality indicates this is not the best restoration I've seen. The picture is often unsteady, has some flickers and blemishes, but is reasonably sharp, and brightness and contrast are quite good, but not stellar. Certainly this is unimpressive compared to the nearly from-the-ground-up reconstruction and digital cleanup for Metropolis.

The original mono music is also not in good shape. Parts of it is barely audible. This is despite the alleged major efforts on restoring the Movietone soundtrack.

And I didn't see any mention of any digital cleanup being used for this restoration.

Therefore, I'm curious to know what the last restoration, as shown on the LD, looked like.

#49 of 141 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted March 14 2003 - 03:13 AM

I believe that it was meant to look exactly the way it is presented on DVD. I think this info was mentioned somewhere on this forum. Posted Image
Cogito, Ergo Sum

#50 of 141 OFFLINE   kevin_y

kevin_y

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted March 14 2003 - 06:36 AM

Quote:
I believe that it was meant to look exactly the way it is presented on DVD. I think this info was mentioned somewhere on this forum.

That doesn't answer my question, which is how much better the DVD looks in comparison to the LD. The restoration for the DVD was intended to be "a full preservation of the 1936 print" (I'm quoting from the PDF file above) and also "the first restoration of the original soundtrack."

Since I'm unimpressed with the DVD transfer, so I figured the LD must looked really lousy... So could someone offer a comparison against the LD?

I looked through all the relevant past threads and couldn't find a comparison. I apologized if I overlooked.

Btw, I searched the newsgroup and found this thread where someone wrote this unenthusiastic reaction:

It seems to be the same print as the laserdisc, but retransferred for DVD. It has blacker blacks and whiter whites. The laserdisc transfer flattened out the contrast more. The DVD can be quite dark at times, but it's generally preferable due to the advantages of the format.

#51 of 141 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted March 14 2003 - 07:13 AM

Are there any of the Fox Classic DVD among the S&S Greatest Films?

Too lazy to do it myself...

--
Holadem

#52 of 141 OFFLINE   Enrique B Chamorro

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor

• 520 posts

Posted March 14 2003 - 07:39 AM

Here is a review of the original laser disc;

http://www.dvdlaser....il.cfm?ID=22714

See LD vs. DVD here;

http://www.dvdscan.com/silent4.htm

#53 of 141 OFFLINE   kevin_y

kevin_y

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted March 14 2003 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for the link to the DVDScan article. It only confirms my belief that this latest restoration offers only a mild improvement. The article praises the LD as "very presentable", probably implying that the DVD doesn't look much different. It says the new transfer is only "at times superior" to the old one. It has "more clarity," and yet "some problems in sharpness." (I'm confused by the conflicting views.) And it is not very clear on what improvement exactly was made to the Movietone soundtrack. Where is the "first restoration of the original soundtrack" referred to in my PDF file above?

The article also has an interview with David Shepard, but unfortunately he hadn't seen the new Sunrise transfer.

#54 of 141 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 14 2003 - 09:03 AM

Kevin I don't know where you're going with this, but the following quote gives me a better understanding of the differences between the LD and DVD video presentations.
The quality difference is, at times, startling - especially when one considers the fact that the film stock provided problems such as the definition of gray scale and the non-existence of a clear black tones. While the Laserdisc (which was excellently produced by David Shepard) is showing the film in very presentable condition, the restored 35 mm elements are at times superior and more delineated, there are fewer jumps due to missing frames, and the print has more clarity, but also some problems in sharpness caused during the photochemical process back in the 1930's, which "created" a halo effect around characters.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#55 of 141 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted March 14 2003 - 09:08 AM

The laserdisc offers a digital restoration done by David Shepard. It utilized only one film element, which is was a fine-grain master...but several generations from the negative.

The version the DVD used the best possible parts from several different sources, including digitally restored intertitles.

#56 of 141 OFFLINE   Enrique B Chamorro

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor

• 520 posts

Posted March 14 2003 - 09:45 AM

The other thing we have to take into consideration
is laser discs in general.
My player has been dead for almost a year.
I have 100 movies on LD, but no way to play them.
With EBay prices sky high for a good player,
LD is becoming a very remote option.
A shame with so many things that will not see the
light of day.
(I would love to watch my Touch of Evil back to back
with the DVD)
(I wish I could just watch the cut songs on Disney's
Hunchback, great stuff)
Posted Image

#57 of 141 OFFLINE   kevin_y

kevin_y

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted March 14 2003 - 09:47 AM

Robert,
Quote:
Kevin I don't know where you're going with this, but the following quote gives me a better understanding of the differences between the LD and DVD video presentations.
The passage you quoted was what prompted my reaction. And my interpretation of the facts offered in that paragraph is that the improvement offered by this restoration is nothing extraordinary.

#58 of 141 OFFLINE   kevin_y

kevin_y

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted March 14 2003 - 09:52 AM

PatrickMcCart,
Quote:
The laserdisc offers a digital restoration done by David Shepard. It utilized only one film element, which is was a fine-grain master...but several generations from the negative.

The version the DVD used the best possible parts from several different sources, including digitally restored intertitles.
Well, the latest restoration also involved the using of 4th and 5th generation film elements from France, UCLA, etc.

#59 of 141 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 14 2003 - 09:55 AM

The passage you quote was what prompted my reaction. And the gist of it is that the improvement offered by this restoration is nothing extraordinary.

They rated the video quality of the LD at 8.6 while the DVD earned a 9.3 rating. Audio-wise the LD was 9.0 and the DVD 10.0.

I don't know what you expected from the dvd, but it sounds like they did their best with the elements available to work with in this restoration process.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#60 of 141 OFFLINE   Felicia W

Felicia W

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted March 14 2003 - 04:35 PM

Ron,

My recent registration with HTF just paid off. Posted Image My husband, a nitrate film archivist for the Library of Congress, declares "Sunrise" as his absolute favorite film of all time. He didn't even know it was out on DVD. Thanks so much for the review and resulting heads-up! (Now he just needs to figure out which other three Fox films he wants.)

Cheers,
Felicia

Back to DVD, Blu-ray & Digital HD Reviews

Forum Nav Content I Follow