-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: "Sunrise" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
140 replies to this topic

#21 of 141 Bob Pierce

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted February 16 2003 - 03:52 AM

Thanks for the info, Malcolm! Looking at your list, I see that getting a copy of Sunrise will be no problem.

Much appreciated,

- Bob

#22 of 141 Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted February 16 2003 - 11:16 PM

I would be interested to know exactly how much pressings Fox has made of Sunrise. How many people do they expect to take advantage of the offer? 1000? 5000? 10,000? Would it really be that big of a deal for them to simply issue the DVD seperately? I find Fox's logic quite beguiling on this issue. I need this DVD. But I don't want to feel forced into partaking in a "special" offer to do so. Don't get me wrong; I like the other Fox Classic, but don't feel compelled enough to buy three of them in order to get Sunrise - but I can't even do that, as I live in Britain! Grrr! Posted Image

Don't be denied.

Gordy

#23 of 141 Claes Ljunghorn

Claes Ljunghorn

Stunt Coordinator

• 134 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 01:44 AM

Quote:
but I can't even do that, as I live in Britain!

How ironic that the film was restored from a print held in the NFTVA at the British Film Institute...

#24 of 141 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 07:03 AM

then it would be funny that the day after FOX UK decides to put it on sale on February 1, 2004 for R2

Posted Image Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#25 of 141 Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 08:18 AM

Quote:
I would be interested to know exactly how much pressings Fox has made of Sunrise.
I was worried about that too, but as far as I could see there was not "while supplies last" disclaimer on the offer.

It would be really bad if they ran out and didn't press more before the year was up. While this does sit in the back of my mind, it's probably not very likely.

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#26 of 141 Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 09:07 AM

Dome,

I understand your fear of "arthouse" film fans recommendations of old films, but the truth is that many/most "old" films had the same sort of mass target audience as today's films. The other Best Pix winner from '27, Wings might most remind you of a good version of Pearl Harbor. Yes, FX were not as strong, but the artistry was strong when these FX were in the hands of the masters. And we also have to fight through the loss of picture info due to the handling of films before restoration and preservation came into focus (which is actually very recent indeed).

Sunrise does feature Murnau's beautiful expressionistic touch, but it serves to tell a rather approachable narrative. Man cheating on wife decides to recommit to his wife after he sees how she now fears him. It's a narrative that would very much fit in a contemporary film.

The only trick is getting used to different approaches to narrative that are indicative of the era. Often though, this approaches are even more saavy than what is used today. At least in the films that were good enough to be remembered 80-100 years later.

Man, Ron, that review really surprised me. I had no idea that FOX was putting that much effort into it. I won't harp on the much debated issue of the "free only" method, but hopefully Peter realizes that such an offer seemed to be sending a message of "we don't plan on putting much effort into this".

I was just thankful that the film was getting to DVD in some form. But now I guess I have to nix the idea of waiting till Grapes of Wrath comes out to get my 3 DVDs (Day the Earth, Mrs. Muir, Grapes). I have All About Eve from the earlier release, so I guess I have to go get the other 3 out now. This DVD looks too good to wait on anymore.

Your little plan to use Sunrise to sell other DVDs to me is working, ya son'of'a... Posted Image :P)

#27 of 141 Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter

• 1,424 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 03:28 PM

A must buy...or somehow get on my hands.

#28 of 141 Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

• 573 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 02:35 AM

I appreciate the review and very much look forward to viewing 'Sunrise' as soon as it comes in.

I placed my order on the first day possible (for those of us not able to get early copies of the first 3 Fox classics on the list). That would make it over 4 weeks thus far. I hope to see it within the next 2-3 weeks. Anyone actually received a copy from the pomotion yet?

Joel

#29 of 141 Carrol

Carrol

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 09:33 AM

I'm absolutely ringing my hands waiting for my copy to show up in the mail. I sent my stubs and the rest of the required info off to Fox on January 15th. My check was cashed weeks ago, so that let's me know it's been processed.

I wonder what the hold up is. Has anyone recieved his or hers?

Carrol

#30 of 141 Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 09:46 AM

Carrol, I sent in my check and POP's on the 17th of Jan, still no Sunrise. I'm sure they'll be sent out soon.

#31 of 141 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 10:45 AM

Do receipts work for buying the 3 discs on-line as well? I get almost everything from deep discount dvd.

-dave
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#32 of 141 Brian PB

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

• 671 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 06:11 AM

Gosh . . . I hope so. That's how I get mine, too. Just in case, I think I'll send along the original packing slips.

For more Sunrise info, see this link.

#33 of 141 Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 06:18 AM

I haven't got a Fox Classic DVD yet, but it actually says the Sunrise offer is not available to Quebec residents on the rules ? Anyone that bought one in Quebec can confirm? maybe the rules are just just different over here.

I have a hard time understanding why we would be excluded here, considering the Fox Classics I saw in the store have the Sunrise sticker on them ...

#34 of 141 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,526 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted February 24 2003 - 07:43 AM

Everything I've seen says US and Canada only (excluding Quebec). Probably in order to satisfy Quebec's eccentric rules, the packaging would have to be bi-lingual and it's not worth it to Fox to meet those requirements.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#35 of 141 Brian PB

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

• 671 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 08:26 AM

Could someone please post the UPC number for Sunrise ? Since it's only available through the Fox special offer, I can't find it in any online databases.
Thanks

#36 of 141 BrianP

BrianP

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted March 01 2003 - 08:35 AM

Quote:
Could someone please post the UPC number for Sunrise ? Since it's only available through the Fox special offer, I can't find it in any online databases.
Thanks

UPC-0 24543 06858 7

I just received my copy of Sunrise in today's mail. I sent in my offer on 1/24. Should also add that I purchased the first three Fox Classics DVDs from DVDEmpire, so internet orders shouldn't be a problem.

#37 of 141 Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted March 02 2003 - 07:02 AM

It is not absolutely free. You must pay for shipping & handling.
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#38 of 141 Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

• 573 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 04:43 PM

Just received my copy of Sunrise (placed order on 1/24) a couple of days ago. It is a pleasure of a movie. The cinematography is superb, for any era. Interesting set of extras with good commentary and other tidbits as have been already reported by Ron. Just loved it.

Joel

#39 of 141 Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 12:48 AM

I'm sending for my copy today.
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#40 of 141 Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 01:42 AM

It's a crime that a film of this calibre isn't available for direct purchase.

I refuse to buy other titles to get this, on principle. I only have a desire for one film on the list.

One wonders why such a restoration effort was undertaken, only to restrict distribution.

Posted Image

Forum Nav Content I Follow