Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Just Shoot Me. Where?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 08:34 AM

Has Just shoot me been canceled? I wonder because it has been weeks since I have seen it on NBC and their website lists no new shows in the immediate future.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#2 of 27 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 09:10 AM

I've been wondering the same thing, and was actually going to post the same question here today, but you beat me to it. Posted Image

I did a search on Zap2it, and that didn't give much, except a brief mention that the show's ratings have slipped.

I hope it's not cancelled, I still enjoy it a lot.
/Mike

#3 of 27 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 09:13 AM

This has got to be the least promoted show on NBC. It's been months since I've seen a commercial for a new episode of JSM. I checked to see if it was still going a few months ago because I thought it had been cancelled, but nope, still on the NBC site.

#4 of 27 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,514 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted February 14 2003 - 09:37 AM

Looks like it's been pre-empted for sweeps month, which is never a good sign. I suspect this will be the last year for JSM.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#5 of 27 OFFLINE   Don Black

Don Black

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 12:12 PM

Its ratings have been awful for the last season or so. I think they even pulled the plug on the new female character.

#6 of 27 OFFLINE   Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner

Second Unit

• 441 posts

Posted February 15 2003 - 07:38 AM

Ratings are awful because I never knew exactly when it was on. Now that I have a Tivo, It's absent. Posted Image

#7 of 27 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 02:16 AM

Yeah, NBC seemed to have dropped their support for JSM this season. I'm guessing it won't be back next season. I hope they give it a decent send-off this season at least.
/Mike

#8 of 27 OFFLINE   Brian_FSullivan

Brian_FSullivan

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 06:17 AM

Quote:
Has Just shoot me been canceled? I wonder because it has been weeks since I have seen it on NBC and their website lists no new shows in the immediate future.

It was originally scheduled to return on February 25 however NBC decided to replace the series with the second season of "Dog Eat Dog" (with reality being so hot lately and all). Those plans got shelved recently as NBC will now air its revival of "Let's Make a Deal" (which was originally scheduled to air on Saturday nights) in the Tuesday, 8-9 p.m. eastern slot beginning March 4. NBC made the switch after seeing solid numbers for its "Outrageous Game Show Moments" specials in the Tuesday slot. "Dog" will instead return this summer.

So far "Deal's" run is only expected to be five weeks meaning no "Just Shoot Me" until at the very least April 8. With the series' ratings in the toilet (it's literally NBC's least watched show this year) none of these moves are really a surprise and expectations for an eighth season are very low. More than likely you'll see the 13 episodes left in its order burned off this summer.
Brian Ford Sullivan
Editor-In-Chief
The Futon Critic
http://www.thefutoncritic.com

#9 of 27 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 06:38 AM

Thanks Brian... bummer.
/Mike

#10 of 27 OFFLINE   Christopher Bosley

Christopher Bosley

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 06:49 AM

Bite the bullet and give brother Donny (David Cross) his own spinoff. I would watch that every night if they showed it.

Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot pie!

#11 of 27 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 02:38 AM

David Spade was on "The Tonight Show" yesterday, and Jay asked him about what's going on with JSM and why it's not on the air anymore. David said he didn't know when it'd be back or what was going on, but that they're still filming new episodes. He joked that they'll probably go straight to video.

So at least we'll hopefully get a real final episode if they decide to cancel it.
/Mike

#12 of 27 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,514 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted March 06 2003 - 05:12 AM

There is a short interview with Wendie Malick (Nina Van Horn) in next week's "TV Guide". It's mainly about her role in the first episode of Fox's new "Oliver Beene", but she also talks about the rapid decline of JSM. She said something about hoping they would get the cancellation notice early enough so that they could film a proper finale.

Stick a fork in JSM - it's done.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#13 of 27 OFFLINE   Benson R

Benson R

Supporting Actor

• 741 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 07:34 AM

I don't understand why the networks are constantly preempting their shows for reality programming. I understand that the reality shows often bring big ratings but these shows have a short shelf life whereas a good sitcom or drama can be a hit for many years. By preempting scripted programming constantly they guarantee those shows won't build an audience and will lose the one they have.

Sure Dog Eat Dog might bring reliable ratings now, but a year from now no one will even remember what the show was. Just Shoot Me on the other hand was a minor hit for NBC with a regular audience and probably still had another couple years in it.
XBL Gamertag: PVT Hicks

#14 of 27 OFFLINE   Don Black

Don Black

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 08:33 AM

That's why people are saying that we will soon witness a boom in cable programming. As the big networks finance and then pass on lots of pilots, the cable networks will step in to pickup the good ones that got passed over b/c of this reality nonsense.

#15 of 27 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 03:13 AM

So who missed the new episode of "Just Shoot Me" last night? I think I had seen a promo for it, but it had completely slipped my mind, I accidentally checked the Tivo guide just after 7:30 and saw that it was on, but there was actually TWO episodes back to back, starting at 7:00, so I missed the first one. Posted Image

Good episode (as usual, IMO), I'm glad they'll at least show the ones they have in the can already, even if the show will get cancelled after this season.
/Mike

#16 of 27 OFFLINE   Jim Douglas

Jim Douglas

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted April 24 2003 - 09:28 AM

I saw this on CNN today and it doesn't sound to good for the show.
http://www.cnn.com/2....eut/index.html
I really enjoyed both shows on Tuesday night and was looking forward to seeing more in the upcoming weeks.
Later
Jim

#17 of 27 OFFLINE   James_Kiang

James_Kiang

Screenwriter

• 1,171 posts

Posted April 24 2003 - 10:00 AM

Not that it appears to matter anymore, but did they get rid of Rena Sofer's character?

#18 of 27 OFFLINE   Luis Esp

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts

Posted April 24 2003 - 10:04 AM

According to imdb.com, the show has been canceled after Tuesday's abysmal ratings.

The producer of the show was told by NBC that the show would have run uninterrupted until May's series finale.
I'm not nice...people just make that assumption of me.

#19 of 27 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,682 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted April 24 2003 - 12:11 PM

Quote:
Pitted against Fox's hit American Idol, the show averaged a 1.8 rating and a 5 share.

Man, that's just a smidge higher than PAX-TV ratings.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#20 of 27 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted April 24 2003 - 01:15 PM

Well, no wonder it didn't get good ratings - who the hell knew that it was on, much less that it was 2 new episodes?

It would be like Fox complaining about Futurama's ratings...

/Mike
/Mike

Forum Nav Content I Follow