What's new

Impatient - any word on release dates for HK AVR-7200 or Denon AVR-2803? (1 Viewer)

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
I've heard as early as February (not seeming likely now) and as late as May for both of these receivers. Has anyone heard or read anything about when these receivers will actually hit the market?

Vincent_S

Second Unit
My local store said the 2803 was supposed to be in in two weeks. I was in there on Sunday BTW.

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Holy crap, that's awesome. I had read March in a press release, but thought that was optimistic. Extremely early March is a good thing indeed. I hope we see more info on the unit starting to appear soon... Thanks for the tip!

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
I posted a thread last week about the delay of the HK AVR 7200 in this forum. The HK website says that it wont ship till March, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this will be pushed back again. I too am waiting for the HK 7200, as I think that this would be a good blend between the 525 and the 8000. It just need to be at the right price, and I think that I will still have to wait a while after its release before we see a significant price drop.

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
FYI: I've noticed that the MSRP for the AVR-7200 is different just about everywhere you look. It has been quoted here as $1799 and only 90 X 7, and online as low as 1,100!

I was reading some HK press release stuff from CES, and as recent as January 9, 2003, HK's official MSRP is $1999 and 100 X 7.

I know not too many people pay MSRP (I have paid close at my local shop because I like them and there service alot), but the higher the MSRP, the higher the real street price will be.

Check out the release at: release

Terry.P

Stunt Coordinator
I got sick and tired of trying to second guess H/K with the 7200. I bought a AVR 525 a while go, thinking I would upgrade to the 7200. I needed more power and didn't feel like waiting any longer. I purchased a 140w x 5 amp. Now the 525 is a very competent pre-amp that only drives my rear surrounds in my 7.1 configuration.

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Well its March, so we'll see how long HK's latest ship date lasts. I'm sure "Ships in March" means March 30th, anyway.

As has been mentioned earlier, If they are working out bugs, great. No one wants a buggy almost-flagship-receiver. But I am a little worried about how many of these delays we will have to endure, since HK still has not posted an image of the back side of the 7200. You would think that they would at least have the major design and layout issues squared away at this point in the game.

How many of you are interested in the next big thing from HK? It seems that everyone has just upgraded, but that has never stopped any of us before! :D

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
I'm dying to see the 100wpc digital path receiver. I almost can't wait. I am seriously considering the DPR 1001. At $1198.00, I can't imagine what kind of dough HK will want for twice the power. Out of my lame price range though I'm sure.:frowning:

Nicklas

Auditioning
Now is the manual to 7200 on HK homepage.
loook at the weight 29.9 kg or 61 lb!!! more weight then Denon or Pioneer.:D

Terry.P

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like you will be able to overlay Logic 7 on 5.1/6.1 sources according the manual. Overall the big pluses are Logic 7 and a new remote over the 525.

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
There is still no screenshot of the back of the HK AVR-7200 on the website, however, the PDF does have a detailed drawing of the backside layout. Looks well organized.

On another note, Does anyone have an HK with the cool looking remote that the 7200 will ship with? Is it any better than the awkward remote that came with the HK AVR-110 and others?

Anyone have guesses about the street price yet?

skip marr

Stunt Coordinator
I suspect with all the info I have found on the new digital units from HK that they may abort the 7200 release. Keep in mind the problems with the heat and fan noise in the current units, especially the 525. I think they may be unlaoding inventory in favor of the digital unit releases as quick as they can. Anyone in the market currently can find most of the majors at 20-25% off MSRP easily, and I think it will only get better once the digital units come out. Onkyo & Integra have their own inherent problems, Yamaha is over-sku'd, Pioneer Elite shuts down with any serious load, Marantz has center buzz issues, and Rotel appears not able to gather consistency among it's own line. So it is a buyer's market, if you want yesterday's technology. Otherwise, wait for the HK digital as well as the other's mentioned above digital units, as most are already on the shop schedule.

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Skip,
Any info on other brands digital releases or even designs? I have done a few simple searches and come up with nothing. All I know about is the HK. I would be VERY interested in a digital unit from Yammy or others. I think your right about the newer releases driving down prices but I need a receiver soon. I'm wondering how long it's going to take. I don't know if I can wait a year. Any info on other brands would be greatly appreciated. It may help me to fight off that nasty upgrade bug for just a little while longer.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I guess I would question that if the coming "digital" receiver from H/K could seriously compete on a sound quality basis with the 525, 7200, 7000, and 8000, then why is it so cheap?

"Digital" amplifiers have tried to gain a toe hold in the market many times over the years, and failed every time due to poor sound quality. The latest example is the HCA amp from PS Audio. Review in Stereophile a few issues back.

And, if "digital" sound is so desired, why were DVD-A and SACD developped? To get a "digital" sound closer to that of the ... analog lp... :)

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Skip, you're scaring me!

I suspect with all the info I have found on the new digital units from HK that they may abort the 7200 release.
I hope it still comes out, and that the DPR has the effect of lowering the price of the 7200, as opposed to killing it off.

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
FYI,

I think that as of now HK is still going ahead with the planned release of the AVR-7200. Just today, HK posted some more promotional information about 7200, including a PDF color coded diagram of the back side of the receiver, and two additional PDFs. They've added a couple of new links eack week for the past 2, and unless they are just toying with potential customer's emotions, I think we'll see this at the same time as the DPR.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Figured I'd put this here since this is the "freshest" H/K 7200 thread.

On pg 29 of the manual, kind of clearly states that Logic 7 is only valid for 2 channel sources. Not DD or DTS.

Also, latest Home Theater mag has an ad for it by Onecall. Logic 7 is active, with a coax input from "DVD". But neither the DD or DTS indicator is lit. So probably just DD 2.0.

5.1 and 7.1 Logic 7 is simply Logic 7 for 2 channel sources for either a 5.1 or 7.1 speakers system. Not 5.1 sources.

I guess we'll see...

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Now that some people have breathed new life into this thread, the discussion has centered mainly on the HK 7200. Has anyone heard anything else about the Denon 2803 since I first posted? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks