Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

I bought an HK-520.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   greg baker

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 05:01 AM

I needed a 5.1 system with some power and functionality. Upon several recommendations I just purchased the HK-520 for $491 frome one call. Did I do OK? I love how smooth the HK is. Now I just need to figure out what speakers to get for my 5.1 system

Greg Posted Image

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Raphael O

Raphael O

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 06:33 AM

if the 520 you bought have no problems - i think youll like it.
it is a good deal considering how much the msrp is when it came out.and 1call is authorized.
im feeling they are going to have another price slash though to get rid of these units .

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   MikeRP

MikeRP

Supporting Actor

• 514 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 09:56 AM

Damn goodm achine at a great price. Its getting close to purchasing just for the extra amp capacity with those main ins.

The only thing I didn't like was the remote.

Mike

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   GaryMil

GaryMil

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted February 15 2003 - 09:42 AM

I purchased a 520 from Circuit city last week. Ended up paying $399 for an open box. I've used it the past week and so far everything works fine. I re-assigned the front amps to run Rockustics that I have in the backyard via the multisource. I have an external amp driving everything else. So I have 3 amps left to use if I decide to go to 7.1. So far this receiver sounds amazing. It is a step up from the Denon 2801. I really am enjoying Dolby Pro Logic II and Logic 7.

One question though, is there any way to control the multisource volume using the remote without affecting the primary system? So far, only the OSD settings seem to accomplish this.
Home Theater Consists of: B&W CDM7se(main), CDMCse(center),B&W Rock Solids(rear), SVS 25-31PCI, Sherbourn 5/1500A amp, HK 520(used as a preamp), Proscan 36" 36700, JVC DVD XV-FA95GD.

Secondary Home Theater (kids playroom)consists of: Denon 2801, CheapSh*t yamaha speakers from bestbuy w/subwoofer,...

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter

• 1,063 posts

Posted February 15 2003 - 10:19 AM

I have a 520 and love it. It replaced a Denon 1802 which I did not love. My roommate liked the sound of my 520+SVS sub so much that he went and bought them, too. Very high bang for buck ratio.