Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Use DVD player for CD??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Gary Tjia

Gary Tjia

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 02:48 AM

Hi,

Would you use Panasonic CP72 DVD player as your CD player? Does CD sound as good on a DVD player as a redbook player? What is your opinion?

#2 of 7 KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 03:07 AM

Gary, it all depends on what CD player you are using for comparison. A general rule of thumb, which has been borne out in my experience, is that a comparably priced dedicated CD player will outperform a DVD player playing CDs. As an example, I would expect the Denon DCM-280 or '380 carousel changers ($200 and $300, respectively) to outperform your 'CP72. I have the Denon '370, which was the predecessor to the '380, and the '370 is a solid player for what I paid. Based on my experience with Panasonic DVD players, I would expect the '370 to outperform the 'CP72.

If you are concerned about CD replay quality from the 'CP72, consider the purchase of a dedicated CD player. As you can gather from what I said above, I don't think you would have to spend a lot to get better CD playback quality. What might your budget be for a new CD player? The Denon changers are an option, but there others. With a budget in mind, I would be willing to make some recommendations.
My:
Main Stereo and HT Systems ;
Second Stereo System ;
Equipment List ; DVDs, SACDs, and more ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#3 of 7 Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne

Screenwriter

• 2,406 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 02:03 PM

I would not want to consume the finite life of a good progressive scan DVD player on the playing of CD's.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.c...ynejr/video.htm

#4 of 7 Asim

Asim

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 02:07 PM

Keith,
have you ever had problems with your 370? Also, do you use its DACs or your processor/receivers?
- asim

#5 of 7 Gary Tjia

Gary Tjia

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 02:38 AM

Keith,

I am looking at Yamaha CDC506, which has good reviews. Any idea how this compares with Denon DCM 280 or 380?

Gary

#6 of 7 KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 02:53 AM

Asim,

I have never had problems with my '370. However, I use it sparingly, as I have better players. The '370 is used as a transport when I record to minidisc. I have it connected to a minidisc player via a coaxial digital cable and to my stereo integrated amp (which has no DSP) with analog cables.

Gary,

I have not used the Yamaha changer you are looking at.
My:
Main Stereo and HT Systems ;
Second Stereo System ;
Equipment List ; DVDs, SACDs, and more ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#7 of 7 Joe Becker

Joe Becker

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 04:35 AM

I'd have to agree with Keith. I have a Denon DCM 560 that I bought after an extensive listening search with my own CD's, and using the wife's younger ears. Compared to the DVD player I had at the time, CD's were unlistenable on the DVD player (a first generation one). Now we have the Toshiba DVD which is just fine for most CD listening, but if I'm really listening to music rather than just having some on, I take the time to put the CD in the changer. I run the Denon with the analog bypass through my Yamaha 2095 using just the Denon chips....it sounds better that way. The DVD players use the Yamaha chips to play CD's, I believe.