What's new

Do DVD and CD scratch removers really work? (1 Viewer)

Beau B

Stunt Coordinator
Hello to all, I had a question about those scrach removers.

Do they work? What kind to get?

I got some pre viewed DVD's and some had markes on them I wanted to take care off.

Thanks

Beau

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I can't imagine that they do. I have seen some CDs that have been fixed and they look UGLY!!!!!!!!!!!! Let alone what a fragile DVD might end up like!

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
they do to a point. Not nearly as well as pro polishers, of course. I'd say something that rotates the disc. None of this crap where you apply everythign flat then buff it with a cloth.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I had a Video Essentials DVD with a severse scratch/gouge that would lock up whenever you do an audio calibration (the one area of the disk I use the most :thumbsdown:) The scratch kit fixed the DVD, it basically traded one bad scratch/gouge for millions of tiny scratches. It may not look pretty but it did work.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
They can work, but use them only as a last resort. If the disc you have is scratched, but still plays okay, leave it alone.

-Scott

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I have a scratched DVD-18 that works okay in my cheap-ass Mintek player, but gives "no disc" errors in my main system, the Panasonic hooked up to the Widescreen TV.

Do you guys think I ought to try this process on it?

Brian Ralph

Stunt Coordinator
I have one of the Disk Dr. units and it worked very well. You spray it on the disk, then rotate the disk and it buffs the disk for you. Then use the drying cloth, and you're all set.

I had a Snatch Superbit and a Frailty that had scratches and wouldn't play past a certain point. Used the Disk Dr. and they both now play flawlessly.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I seem to remember reading somewhere that these CD/DVD scratch remover kits actually removed a layer of the medium's coating thereby effectively reducing the discs life-span.

Anyone else here something similar, or am I just imagining things.

BobAZ

Stunt Coordinator
Let alone what a fragile DVD might end up like!
The only difference between CD, DVD, and Game Dr. is the packaging. They all do the same thing. A DVD is no more fragile than a CD. Don't all optical discs use a similar polycarbonate substrate?

I have fixed 2 music CD's and at least 12 CD-ROM's with my DVD Dr. Only 1 of the CD-ROM's had a deep enough scratch that it is still unreadable near the outer edge after multiple passes with the Dr. 1 out of 14 is pretty good.

Follow the directions. Keep the disc wet, and buff it center to edge when you're done sanding. It will be hazy, but the disc is readable again.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I seem to remember reading somewhere that these CD/DVD scratch remover kits actually removed a layer of the medium's coating thereby effectively reducing the discs life-span.
Since there's no reason to use it unless the disc doesn't work, I don't see how you could be reducing the disc's life.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I use a DVD scratch remover, and it works fine. However, there are certain disks in which it simply won't work.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
http://www.cdplayright.com

Grab the playright trio for a protecter, polish & finish. I've had only one disc that couldn't be repaired, and that one was majorly fubar. I've even repaired a disc or two that had pretty deep gouges. I consider it a necessity - it comes in handy for all those "floaters". Especially the one disc that is inevitably floating around in a seven disc package.

It's not a fast process. I'd rather take my time and do it right, so I just watch a show while repairing a disc.

For $30, all it takes to make it worthwhile is to repair 2 cheap discs or 1 hard-to-find disc.

Warning - don't spray the protector while holding the disc above a hardwood floor. I did this to about 10 discs, and my floor was so slippery that I damn near took a fall. And it stayed slippery for about 2 weeks. :)

-Dave

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
BTW: The protector (Quick Shield) is great if you are loaning a disc to someone. It reduces the chances of damage to the disc. I apply it to every disc that enters my collection, and it gets another application if it's being loaned out.

-Dave

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
I wonder if I should buy a cleaner to fix this Playstation disc. Breath of Fire IV was bought used, but has many scraches on it and will freeze up whenever a spell is used (which is common sadly).

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I went the Game Dr. route when one of my games got scratched and wasn't working correctly. I followed the directions exactly how they said and didn't overdo it or anything but it actually made the game WORSE, and yea it looked like crap as well.

I took it to my local used CD seller/trader shop and they offer the professional scratch remover service for $3 per disc. Not only did the game work perfectly but the reflective side looked just as good (or better) than new, and this was after I slaughtered it with the Game Dr. Look for a game/music trader shop in your area. Funcoland offers this service, maybe EB does too..

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
yes. but as with anything, 100% success isn't guaranteed.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I use my Dremel rotary tool and a couple of felt discs to remove the scratches from my DVDs. I'm still trying to find the best polishing compound out there (toothpaste has too much grit, vaseline is a bit too slippery but does prevent the formation of deep gouges), but I haven't quite found the stuff that would leave behind a decent mirror finish. At least my discs are playable now.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
>> I use my Dremel rotary tool and a couple of felt discs to remove the scratches from my DVDs.

Man, I thought I was being original when I thought of this! I fixed my Gran Turismo 3 that mysteriously scratched itself while inside my ps2 this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks