What's new

Directors Name That Movie - A Contest (#4) (1 Viewer)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
That's right. Another Name That Movie Contest! Believe it or not, this will be the first Contest/Tournament that I have run, so be nice! :)

By running this Contest, it is not my intention to make the guesses particularly difficult (nor particularly easy), but to show images that are at least somewhat "interesting" (however you may define that term). Some images may only be interesting in the context of the movie itself, so if you haven't seen the movie, it might not be so interesting!

I think I would like to keep score this time. I am open to suggestions regarding scoring. I was thinking that anyone who guesses correctly will receive 5 points. Images that I consider to be difficult will be worth 8 points, and I will indicate such when that image is displayed.

I will declare a winner of each "Bracket". A "Bracket" will consist of SIX movies, which will basically be one weeks worth of images, since I plan to post images every evening except Saturday. As such, winners of each Bracket will usually be announced sometime on Sunday. Whoever wins the most "Brackets" at the end of the contest will be the overall winner. Thus, it will be possible for the overall winner to score fewer points overall than someone else.

Images will be posted at approximately 4:30 to 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time. A list of people who guessed correctly will also be posted at that time.

Again, I am open to comments and suggestions regarding the awarding of points. In fact, if anyone wants to suggest some other basis to award some type of "bonus" points, please let me know. (I was thinking of awarding 2 points for people who guess how many people would guess each round correctly, or something like that).

I will post the first image after receiving some feedback on my points system! :)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Personally I don't care about the points.

Bring on the first screenshot! You can worry about scoring later. :):emoji_thumbsup:

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Bring on the first screenshot! You can worry about scoring later.
I considered that, but also realized that if I post the shots, I probably won't get any feedback on the points! :)

I do understand completely that some might not care about points as well.

EDIT: By the way, feedback on the points system would include saying "I don't think we should keep score at all"! :)

On the other hand, I don't want to get behind before I start! Back with the first image shortly.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I don't care too much about the points, but one thing I've seen in the other screenshot contests is that there are many people who miss a day or two and lose points because they couldn't participate in that round.

If it would be at all possible for people to wait that long for the answer, I'd suggest posting a week's worth of shots all at once and giving everyone a week to respond. This also gives everyone a week to research their DVD collection as well, so it's a license to make the screenshots very, very difficult. And you aren't stuck here every single day tallying the results.

One problem with this is that it makes cheating and collusion more likely - but we're not that kind of people here at the HTF.

Just a suggestion...

Brad

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
How about posting the (one) most amusing guess for each round as well? That would give those of us who suck at (but enjoy) these games an opportunity to contribute something other than "dunno".

(edit: by the way...my answer for round one? Dunno.:D)

Jon

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I like your idea Jon! I like it a lot.

In fact, I will give 3 points to whoever makes the most amusing guess!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Scoring sounds fun. That's why I did it that way. I wouldn't be too concerned with addressing every single person's needs. I think posting a whole week of images all at once would make for a fairly boring contest.

Just go with it as you planned.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I could care less about points... I just hope for some movies I've seen :) (And I don't think the 1st round is one of em.. :frowning:)

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Well, I can tell which country this is, and the approximate time period...but I don't recognize the shot! :frowning:

So my intuitive guess is going to be...

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Was this film shot in Black & Green
My first reaction to this statement was what the hell does that mean? But looking at the capture again, it does look like it has a tint of green to it! Don't know what's up with that?! :confused:

BTW, since guesses are being submitted to me via email, make sure you adequately identify yourself (this is obvious for the most part, but there are some exceptions).

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Anybody want to take a guess as to whether Bill's "intuitive guess" will be right?!
Considering his performance in the last one, along with the fact that he did not wait until the last minute, I bet he managed to pull the correct answer out of his ass once again. :p)

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
How about posting the (one) most amusing guess for each round as well? That would give those of us who suck at (but enjoy) these games an opportunity to contribute something other than "dunno".
This was going to be my suggestion, and something I thought about doing (and probably should've done) part way through contest #3. Not only would it keep it somewhat interesting for those who have no clue, but for Rob also, since reading blank e-mails is not terribly interesting.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Since the first image was posted on Thursday evening, the first "Bracket" will consist of 8 movies instead of the usual 6.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
The Answer To Round One is Carol Reeds real Best Movie.......

Correct Answers Came From:

Rain
Bill McA

The Most Amusing Answer came from the person who gave the idea for the bonus answer in the first place, Jon Are:

Three Bladders Full

For those of you who guessed The Third Man (and there were twice as many of you compared to those who answered correctly) it was a good guess considering that Odd Man Out had the same Director and DP as The Third Man.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks