Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Name That Movie - A Contest (#4)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1008 replies to this topic

#1 of 1009 Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 11:52 AM

That's right. Another Name That Movie Contest! Believe it or not, this will be the first Contest/Tournament that I have run, so be nice! Posted Image

By running this Contest, it is not my intention to make the guesses particularly difficult (nor particularly easy), but to show images that are at least somewhat "interesting" (however you may define that term). Some images may only be interesting in the context of the movie itself, so if you haven't seen the movie, it might not be so interesting!

I think I would like to keep score this time. I am open to suggestions regarding scoring. I was thinking that anyone who guesses correctly will receive 5 points. Images that I consider to be difficult will be worth 8 points, and I will indicate such when that image is displayed.

I will declare a winner of each "Bracket". A "Bracket" will consist of SIX movies, which will basically be one weeks worth of images, since I plan to post images every evening except Saturday. As such, winners of each Bracket will usually be announced sometime on Sunday. Whoever wins the most "Brackets" at the end of the contest will be the overall winner. Thus, it will be possible for the overall winner to score fewer points overall than someone else.

Images will be posted at approximately 4:30 to 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time. A list of people who guessed correctly will also be posted at that time.

Again, I am open to comments and suggestions regarding the awarding of points. In fact, if anyone wants to suggest some other basis to award some type of "bonus" points, please let me know. (I was thinking of awarding 2 points for people who guess how many people would guess each round correctly, or something like that).

I will post the first image after receiving some feedback on my points system! Posted Image

For ordinary men, it's a burning, fiery furnace.

#2 of 1009 Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 11:56 AM

Personally I don't care about the points.

Bring on the first screenshot! You can worry about scoring later. Posted ImagePosted Image

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#3 of 1009 Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 11:59 AM

Quote:
Bring on the first screenshot! You can worry about scoring later.

I considered that, but also realized that if I post the shots, I probably won't get any feedback on the points! Posted Image

I do understand completely that some might not care about points as well.

EDIT: By the way, feedback on the points system would include saying "I don't think we should keep score at all"! Posted Image

On the other hand, I don't want to get behind before I start! Back with the first image shortly.

#4 of 1009 Brad Porter

Brad Porter

Screenwriter

• 1,757 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 12:56 PM

I don't care too much about the points, but one thing I've seen in the other screenshot contests is that there are many people who miss a day or two and lose points because they couldn't participate in that round.

If it would be at all possible for people to wait that long for the answer, I'd suggest posting a week's worth of shots all at once and giving everyone a week to respond. This also gives everyone a week to research their DVD collection as well, so it's a license to make the screenshots very, very difficult. And you aren't stuck here every single day tallying the results.

One problem with this is that it makes cheating and collusion more likely - but we're not that kind of people here at the HTF.

Just a suggestion...

Brad
We apologise for the unnecessary truncation and lack of formatting control in the signature. Those responsible should be sacked.

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

#5 of 1009 Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 12:56 PM

Round One

Posted Image

Click on the image above to make your guess for the current round.

Guesses will be accepted by Email and should be in the subject field of the message in the following format:

Round 1 - Lawrence of Arabia

#6 of 1009 Jon_Are

Jon_Are

Screenwriter

• 2,038 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 01:04 PM

How about posting the (one) most amusing guess for each round as well? That would give those of us who suck at (but enjoy) these games an opportunity to contribute something other than "dunno".

(edit: by the way...my answer for round one? Dunno.Posted Image)

Jon

#7 of 1009 Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 01:17 PM

I like your idea Jon! I like it a lot.

In fact, I will give 3 points to whoever makes the most amusing guess!

#8 of 1009 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,452 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 01:39 PM

Scoring sounds fun. That's why I did it that way. I wouldn't be too concerned with addressing every single person's needs. I think posting a whole week of images all at once would make for a fairly boring contest.

Just go with it as you planned.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#9 of 1009 Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor

• 969 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 01:43 PM

I could care less about points... I just hope for some movies I've seen Posted Image (And I don't think the 1st round is one of em.. Posted Image)

#10 of 1009 Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 02:00 PM

Way too easy.

What else ya got?

Posted Image

#11 of 1009 Bill McA

Bill McA

Producer

• 5,969 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 02:04 PM

Well, I can tell which country this is, and the approximate time period...but I don't recognize the shot! Posted Image

So my intuitive guess is going to be...

#12 of 1009 Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 02:11 PM

Was this film shot in Black & Green Posted Image

#13 of 1009 Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 02:20 PM

Quote:
Way too easy.

What else ya got?

Be patient, cocky boy! Posted Image

Quote:
Well, I can tell which country this is, and the approximate time period...but I don't recognize the shot!

So my intuitive guess is going to be...

Anybody want to take a guess as to whether Bill's "intuitive guess" will be right?!

Quote:
Was this film shot in Black & Green

My first reaction to this statement was what the hell does that mean? But looking at the capture again, it does look like it has a tint of green to it! Don't know what's up with that?! Posted Image

BTW, since guesses are being submitted to me via email, make sure you adequately identify yourself (this is obvious for the most part, but there are some exceptions).

#14 of 1009 Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 04:51 PM

Quote:
Don't know what's up with that?!

It's the DVD. I noticed that earlier when I was looking at it on my TV.

I'm glad someone mentioned that, since I've been trying to eyeball a little improvement to my gray scale. I guess this disc is not reference B&W.

Quote:
Anybody want to take a guess as to whether Bill's "intuitive guess" will be right?!
Considering his performance in the last one, along with the fact that he did not wait until the last minute, I bet he managed to pull the correct answer out of his ass once again. :P)

#15 of 1009 Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 06:44 PM

Quote:
How about posting the (one) most amusing guess for each round as well? That would give those of us who suck at (but enjoy) these games an opportunity to contribute something other than "dunno".

This was going to be my suggestion, and something I thought about doing (and probably should've done) part way through contest #3. Not only would it keep it somewhat interesting for those who have no clue, but for Rob also, since reading blank e-mails is not terribly interesting.

#16 of 1009 Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 07:20 PM

Tron?

#17 of 1009 Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 02:15 AM

Quote:
Tron?

Dammit Weinberg! Don't you know that you aren't suppose to post your guess in the actual thread!? Posted Image

:wink:

#18 of 1009 Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 09:41 AM

Since the first image was posted on Thursday evening, the first "Bracket" will consist of 8 movies instead of the usual 6.

#19 of 1009 Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 11:48 AM

The Answer To Round One is Carol Reeds real Best Movie.......

Posted Image

Correct Answers Came From:

Rain
Bill McA

The Most Amusing Answer came from the person who gave the idea for the bonus answer in the first place, Jon Are:

Three Bladders Full

For those of you who guessed The Third Man (and there were twice as many of you compared to those who answered correctly) it was a good guess considering that Odd Man Out had the same Director and DP as The Third Man.

#20 of 1009 Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 11:55 AM

Round Two

Posted Image

Click on the image above to make your guess for the current round.

Guesses will be accepted by Email only and should be in the subject field of the message in the following format:

Round 1 - Lawrence of Arabia

Back to Director Checklists

Forum Nav Content I Follow