Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Any Dell Axim users out there? Other PDA fans?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor

• 865 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 11:07 AM

I just ordered a Dell Axim X5 to replace my aging Palm Vx. I decided on the 400mhz version. Should be here before the end of the month.

I'll be using it for work (documents, spreadsheets) and pleasure (mp3, games). Any "must have" software recommendations?

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Andre F

Andre F

Screenwriter

• 1,492 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 12:22 PM

I'm a PDA fan and I use mine almost daily. However, I'm stuck with the lowly Audiovox Maestro...
-Andre F

-= Impossibility is a concept created by those unwilling to try... =-

My Home Theater

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Camp

Camp

Screenwriter

• 2,303 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 01:27 PM

Me too...but I'm using the opposition's OS. I use a Sony Clie NR-70v. Couldn't function without it.

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 01:33 PM

iPAQ 3975 user here. I use it with my Ericsson T68 phone for remote email and internet access. Bluetooth rocks.

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,318 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted February 13 2003 - 03:30 PM

I enjoy my Sony Clie T-615

I'd say the must-have software for a PDA is PalmOS Posted Image

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor

• 865 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 12:37 AM

Quote:
I'd say the must-have software for a PDA is PalmOS
Thanks, but no thanks! Been there, done that. From my experience (based on coworkers using both Palm and Pocket PC) the Axim will suit my needs better than another Palm device. Don't get me wrong, my Palm Vx has served me well but I believe the Axim will do far better.

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter

• 1,530 posts

Posted February 15 2003 - 04:08 PM

i just bought ipaq 1910. and so far i dont need to buy any other software, because i dont use it for games nor other multimedia entertainment. i was thinking of purchasing a map for chicago and san diego though, but couldnt find a good one.

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Paul O

Paul O

Stunt Coordinator

• 132 posts

Posted February 15 2003 - 04:36 PM

Just bought a Palm Tungsten. Great Screen, Bluetooth built in, Friendly, Familiar Palm Apps - what more could you ask for? I'll be upgrading my cell phone to a bluetooth model to begin using GSM. Anybody know of any cool new bluetooth phones coming out? not crazy about the 68i.

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   Ken Woodrow

Ken Woodrow

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted February 16 2003 - 03:26 PM

I just bought a Dell Axim for the sole purpose of using it as a remote for my HT and whole-house audio systems. I use a combo of programs to control apps on my HTPC and my external hardware:

NetRemote Pronto emulator for the PPC, but much more powerful.

Girder Receives commands from NetRemote via wireless TCP/IP connection. Controls apps on the PC and interfaces with external hardware devices via plugins.

and to transmit IR to my external devices:

Slink-E

IMO, NetRemote is THE killer app for a PPC.

- Ken

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Dave W

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 10:02 AM

I use a Dell Axim and love it. Posted Image I've only had it about a month now but it is a great PDA for the price and I would recommend it to anyone. I got the 300mhz version with an additional 64mb card to offset the limited internal memory. Great at Notepad, Word and office type apps as well as most games. Movies/mp3's play very well off the memory card or live (I work in videoconferencing so we have live streams that play over the network) and almost all my games are installed to the card and work great. It didn't come with much in the way of extra software and its hard finding a PDA case that I like Posted Image but great display, sound (thru stereo jack) and design for a cheap PPC.

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Randy_T

Randy_T

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted February 17 2003 - 11:30 AM

My Axim 400Mhz will be here tomorrow...can't wait!!

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Chris Luebbe

Chris Luebbe

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 01:47 AM

My Axim was just shipped today...hopefully I'll have it by the end of the week.

Must have software includes:
  • YAME - NES and SuperNES emulator
  • WinamPAQ - MP3 and ogg player (way better than WMP and looks like Winamp)
  • PocketMVP for playing videos (again, way better than WMP)
I have all of their setup files sitting on my desktop waiting for my Axim to arrive.

If you want to learn more about what your new Axim (or any PocketPC) can do, head over to Pocket PC Thoughts. I suggest going to the "Archives" section first and browsing through the archived front-page articles listed there.

One of the first things I plan to do is rip a few DVDs and watch them on my Axim. Try doing that with a Palm!

Chris Luebbe

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Chris Luebbe

Chris Luebbe

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 01:52 AM

Quote:
It didn't come with much in the way of extra software and its hard finding a PDA case that I like but great display, sound (thru stereo jack) and design for a cheap PPC.

What kind of case are you looking for? My Axim should be arriving in a few days and I've spent a little time while waiting searching for a case. I've found two I like. One is a slipper style case with magnetic closures and pockets for money, memory cards, etc., and the other is a zippered, dayplanner style case with room for lots of money (which you have since you saved so much by buying an Axim!), credit cards, memory, etc.

I have a few sites bookmarked...let me know what style you're looking for and I'll give you the links.

Chris Luebbe

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Dave W

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted February 19 2003 - 09:56 AM

Thanks... any links to casees would be much appreciated. I am looking for a Day Planner style case. I would like a clear pocket for DL, business card etc and plenty of CC pockets and want a flip cover of sometype to protect the screen. CF card pockets etc would be a plus but not a deal breaker Posted Image

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   Dave W

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted February 19 2003 - 10:02 AM

By the way - Wanted to say that I liked PocketMVP alot. Good playback of all movie types I've tried so far (loaded in local memory). Did notice playback slowdown and lockups using PocketMVP though when files were loaded from CF card and over 20mb... Did Not have same issue using PPC RealPlayer so mileage may vary Posted Image Just thought I would pass it on.

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Chris Luebbe

Chris Luebbe

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted February 19 2003 - 10:14 AM

Try this one from ebcases. It's only $20. This is the one I'll most likely buy.
Chris Luebbe

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   Ken Woodrow

Ken Woodrow

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted February 20 2003 - 08:36 AM

Check out Aximsite. It's very informative and has a great, active forum.

- Ken

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Dave W

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted February 20 2003 - 10:03 AM

Thanks for the link to that case - I ended up going with the slipper 5 convertable I think it was - a little bigger but more pockets Posted Image and I second using http://www.aximsite.com nice site, not too many downloads yet but lots of info.

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor

• 865 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 01:41 AM

Dave - I'm looking at this case by Sena Cases. It is available for $29 for the next few days.

Also, someone mentioned a case with a magnetic closure. Just be careful of storing credit cards near anything with a magnet!

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Dave W

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 10:15 AM

That Sena case looks great Dennis Posted Image May have to rethink this and change my order now.. assuming it hasn't shipped yet

Forum Nav Content I Follow