What's new

toslink (optical) to coax adaptors/converters (1 Viewer)

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
MCM electronics just added them, both ways toslink to coax and coax to toslink (usefull to hook up the Hollywood Plus cards in my computers to the amp). About $15 + $2 AC adapter. There may be more expensive ones somewhere but the electronis required is very simple and should be cheap.Their catalog is great but their website is almost impossible to browse. The part number for the toslink to coax is 24-4445 and coax to optical is 24-4440 both with ac adapter 24-4451. It's mcmelectronics.com but I'd request the catalog myself.

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
Radioshack should have one of these....
I know that I've seen them there..
Jim
------------------
[email protected]
Want to hold up a bank in Latin?
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
(I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I have one from Sound Proffesionals and it's a great little unit.
------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
OK, got to ask a stupid question here...
I just looked through a lot of the info y'all posted above. (Thanks again!)
Seems like I can go ~$17 (for the MCM electronics box) to realistically ~$70 for the CO2 box. (That CO2 thing is nice, very flexible. I like the 1 input but 2 output idea.)
Any differences in jitter induced between the devices? Sound quality? "Quality" of the digital conversion between optical and electrical?
Or am I over thinking this? :)
------------------

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
Since the signal stays digital the entire time, there won't a degradation of "Signal" because there is no signal per se, in the same vein that analog would be losing quality over a transfer. I don't know, the issue of splitting digital signals is puzzling because network cable gets a downgraded rating once it is bent, but the signal still reaches the source in the same exact format...HT information is SO much less bandwidth intensive that I can't imagine it would make one bit of difference.

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
kevin, id say yes there is a liklyhood of inducing jitter (if you are one inclined to "believe" in jitter), course who am i but an HT geek. ask an engeneer :)
("wire is wire, right?")
im going to use mine for my tv cable box (SA explorer 2000) so i can get hbo in 5.1. just so happins the oputput on the 2000 does not jive with the "TV" digital input's format on my reciever. not a really high end application.
if i were connecting a high end transport to a fine preamp, i probably wouldnt use one of these thingies.
BTW my unit did NOT come yet. ups lied again :)
------------------
'Till next time,
Rich (the kite guy)
My DIY audio page!
Use your ashtray please, dont throw um on the street. thanks :)

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all...
Take this for what it is, just my experience. I changed from a Monster Optical cable to a BetterCables Digital Coax last night and it was like I bought a new receiver. I don't know what the difference is technically (jitter?), but the sound from the bottom to the top of the spectrum is MUCH cleaner and crisper. Also, they're component video cable improved my Wega's display as others have suggested (more vibrant colors, sharper-cleaner image with more detain). Goodbye fiber optics!!
------------------

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like a case of hearing your wallet to me. There scientifically shouldn't be a difference in sound between digital signals, let alone a signifigant difference. The source either gets there or it doesnt get there:
[SOURCE]-111000111000111000-[RECIEVER]

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
matty, lets not lets this fall into a tweek/geek discussion. some folks believe in jitter, some believe digital is digital. (and both are CONVINCED they are right)
i got the soundpro unit today and it seems well constructed, well molded plastic housing, and secure connections. its not a "refrence" piece of gear, nor does it feel like one (but for 25 bucks...)
it comes with an "average" ac adapter, and so far is functioning fine.
not that it does not come with cables (they do mention this on the website) so dont froget to pick some up.
overall... a keeper so far. im pleased with the purchace, and with the order speed. got to me pretty quick considering the week we have gone through.
------------------
'Till next time,
Rich (the kite guy)
My DIY audio page!

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
update:
just watched space cowboys off hbo in 5.1
nice.
dont know if theres any jitter :) but the soundpro unit passed the 5.1 bitstream just fine. its a keeper.
------------------
'Till next time,
Rich (the kite guy)
My DIY audio page!

DaleB

Stunt Coordinator
If concerned about jitter, the Monarchy DIP II is one of the best units around for the price, takes optical or coax input.
audioadvisor.com sells them, sometimes for $199. They list for $249 and come highly recommended.
I have one on the digital out of my DVD player, and have no need for a separate CD player, I am not sure what it does but the improvement is noticeable.
[Edited last by DaleB on September 19, 2001 at 08:03 AM]

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the support Rich. Matty, I appologize. I suggested the word "jitter" but I see that I was wrong. I have no idea why, what, or how I know of an improvment, but I can say that I've had myself, my dad, my mom, my brother, my sister, and 3 friends over. I've done blindfold tests and 7 out of 7 people have now agreed that the winner by a land slide is digital coax (in my house, on my equip). Now, it may very possibly be that my optical connection in the receiver or DVD player has a problem. I'm not rulling anything out. BUT, a unanimous decision between 8 people says something. Believe me, if it were my wallet speaking, it would say "take back those $250 cables you unsatisfyable prick". :) My ears, mind, and heart know better!!
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks