Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Your favourite Star Trek movie: Poll

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
113 replies to this topic

#1 of 114 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 01:35 AM

Simple. Pick your (one) best Star Trek film of the franchise, which may have now reached its end. I am also interested in seeing patterns here as well.

Let the voting begin.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#2 of 114 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,293 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 03:31 AM

My first impulse would be to pick TWOK but ultimately I went with TMP. Especially the director's cut. This is the only movie that felt like a movie. All the rest came off as extended TV episodes.

TMP tried - not always successfully - to reach to loftier heights.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#3 of 114 OFFLINE   Zack Scott

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 03:47 AM

Me too with TMp. Just saw it again a couple of nights ago. Man what an engrossing story. It may not be as action packed as TWOK or as warm and fuzzy as TVH but it's great science fiction. Probably the only Star Trek Movie that doesn't feel as dated are the later ones (cept for Uhura's Fro but 2001 had some wild sixties haircuts too)

#4 of 114 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,400 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted February 13 2003 - 05:21 AM

I voted for the much maligned 'Star Trek-The Motion Picture', it's the only epic
Star Trek of the lot, the only one that doesn't seem like a 2-part episode transferred to the screen,and still has the greatest visual effects of the series. The acting is a bit stiff, the story slow-moving but that just adds to the epicness and grandeur of the story, V'Ger is also the largest entity in SF movie history bigger than our solar system. I just love the movie, watched it near 100 times since seeing it at the cinema.
2nd place is Khan, with First Contact 3rd.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#5 of 114 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 05:51 AM

The Undiscovered Country. TWoK is a close second followed by TMP.

Peace Out~Posted Image
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#6 of 114 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 07:11 AM

Quote:
Your favourite Star Trek movie

"NONE OF THE ABOVE."
"Delenda est . . . . "

#7 of 114 OFFLINE   Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor

• 992 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 07:27 AM

The Undiscovered Country.

Quote:
"NONE OF THE ABOVE."

I hate threadfarters. Either contribute something constructive, or don't bother to contribute.

Moe.
- Confidence implies the knowledge of one's limitations, while arrogance implies that one does not have any.

- There's no such thing as "normal". The secret is to find someone that's screwed up in a way that seems "normal" to you.

#8 of 114 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 07:29 AM

I voted for Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, but if I had to pick a second-place finish, it would have to be Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

I can't stand Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Scenes after scenes after scenes after scenes after scenes of the Enterprise just irk me.

#9 of 114 OFFLINE   Kristian

Kristian

Supporting Actor

• 946 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 07:53 AM

The Wrath of Khan is my favorite.

The rest (in order of preference):

First Contact
The Undiscovered Country
The Search For Spock
The Voyage Home
Nemesis

Still to see:

The Motion Picture/The Motion Picture - The Director's Edition (I've seen about half of the original version on TV, but that's it)
The Final Frontier
Generations
Insurrection

Film Lists: 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | Pre-2006 | 2009
CollectionsMusic

#10 of 114 OFFLINE   John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 08:01 AM

Quote:
"NONE OF THE ABOVE."
What a shame that personal attacks against members are taboo, or I'd have some choice words for this person.

Anyway, I had to vote for ST:TMP. Yes, TWoK is an excellent movie, but TMP still stands out in my mind as the one I'd want to watch most often. Just the music alone is enough to make we want to have the movie running in the background.

First Contact, TWoK, The Undiscovered country, and Nemesis (YES, Nemesis!) finish off the top five, probably in that order, too.

#11 of 114 OFFLINE   David Rogers

David Rogers

Supporting Actor

• 723 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 08:08 AM

Gonna be quite shocked if Kahn doesn't vote out atop ... never hear anyone say another Trek film first when discussing with fans in person.

If only Berman had figured out Kahn was where it's at, and done us right ...
(sigh)
-----

Dave's World
-No matter where you go, there you are-

#12 of 114 OFFLINE   Angelo.M

Angelo.M

Producer

• 4,007 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 08:14 AM

Quote:
...the franchise, which may have now reached its end...

Let's hope.

I vote for Khan, the only one of the bunch that feels like a finished, bigger-than-the-small-screen piece. First Contact could have been my favorite, but its inconsistent tone (militant and dark for the most part, but punctuated by some non-sensically slapstick moments) and the unnecessary Borg-Queen ruined it for me. The others feel like extended TV episodes, ranging from passable to horrifying.

#13 of 114 OFFLINE   Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit

• 443 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 08:16 AM

Quote:
Star Trek of the lot, the only one that doesn't seem like a 2-part episode transferred to the screen

Funny you should say that...considering that, in a way, it WAS! It was rewritten from the pilot of Star Trek Phase II which was never developed. But yeah, I voted for The Motion Picture also. Somehow the director's cut has inspired a new love of it for me! I just find this one to be pure Science Fiction trek. All story driven, huge scale, and a dramatic music score.

P.S. Am I the only one who's finding the thread farting is getting to be a real problem these days? The Matrix Reloaded thread had a similar problem with this recently. It wasn't as dimwitted as this one, but it was pretty off-putting.
- Mark Kalzer

#14 of 114 OFFLINE   Mark Barnhill

Mark Barnhill

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 08:20 AM

TWOK by a large margin, followed by First Contact, then Insurrection.
My DVD Collection
Silica, we don't need no stinkin' silica!

#15 of 114 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,627 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 08:31 AM

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

STILL the only one of the lot that's actually a movie and not an extended television episode.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#16 of 114 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 08:36 AM

I agree with many here on TMP...it IS the most epic of the lot, the most cinematic.

But I find myself going back to TWOK more often, so that gets the slight edge, and my vote.

#17 of 114 OFFLINE   Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 08:46 AM

I view Parts 2,3, & 4 as a film trilogy, that when viewed together are bigger in scope than TMP. I like watching all 3 in a row (I even have a soft spot for the maligned "Search for Spock"!)...but as a single film, TMP is best, with TWOK, TVH, TSFS following it, in that order.
I have no use for any of the others, except for visual effects/ audio demos (First Contact, Insurrection, & soon to be Nemesis on DVD Posted Image)

-Dennis
He must have died while carving it!...

#18 of 114 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 09:17 AM

Moe Maishlish wrote (post #7):

Quote:
I hate threadfarters. Either contribute something constructive, or don't bother to contribute.

I couldn't resist that. Very well, let's see . . . . Wrath of Khan or First Contact---pick 'em! Doesn't matter. Despite some good moments, the whole movie series has been such a disappointment and waste of potential.
"Delenda est . . . . "

#19 of 114 OFFLINE   DonMac

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator

• 221 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 09:28 AM

Ron-P wrote:
Quote:
The Undiscovered Country. TWoK is a close second followed by TMP.
I second this vote and exact ordering. I just enjoy ST VI: The Undiscovered Country the most, and rate it a bit ahead of ST II: The Wrath of Khan. Although both are of the "Khan" story structure (i.e. shoot-em-up-action with a scene-chewing villain) that dominates the entire movie series, these two are the most successful examples of how well that structure can work (which is obvious in TWOK's case, because it's the one that defined the structure, much as Goldfinger set the template for all later James Bond films.)

I also really like ST: TMP (the Director's Edition) a lot because it's the only one that aspired to be more of a "thinking" sci-fi film with some apparent thematic allusions to 2001: A Space Odyssey (i.e. both feature a man transforming into a higher state). And the Director's Edition fixed all of the pacing problems I had with the original cut. (I know some still think it's too slow, but Jerry Goldsmith's great score holds the whole thing together for me.)

As for the rest, I like First Contact okay, but really find them all too disappointing.

#20 of 114 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 10:37 AM

Without a doubt “First Contact”. It’s a long long time that I have not seen ST 2 again but I always have the feeling that it is too much overrated by some. I have to see it again maybe I will change my mind. At the moment I don’t consider it the best.

Of the original crew, ST VI: The Undiscovered Country is definitely the best for me for it’s overall structure and feeling.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow