Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Popping sound in my speakers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 SteveKNJ

SteveKNJ

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted February 12 2003 - 01:48 AM

What types of things would cause an occasional popping sound in my speakers? I have a Kenwood 6050 receiver, and an inexpensive set of RCA speakers from an older home theater in a box that I am using until I can afford better ones and a Sony 50 watt sub that I have turned up only about 1/4 of the way. I do have a couple of splices in my speaker wires, because they wouldn't reach my receiver, but I plan on rewiring soon. Could that be the cause?

Thanks in advance.

#2 of 3 Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit

• 282 posts

Posted February 19 2003 - 05:18 PM

My speakers on my computer pop when a light is turned on elsewhere in the house (it is plugged into an un-grounded outlet), also is the wiring in your house old?

#3 of 3 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted February 20 2003 - 03:46 AM

Steve,

First, welcome to the Forum!

Since you’re using small, inexpensive speakers with a receiver that puts out probably 100 watts per channel, I expect you are occasionally overdriving the speakers. If you only hear the sound during high-volume, demanding passages (like explosions or crashes on action flicks) then this is what is surely happening. The sound you hear is the woofer being driven beyond its maximum excursion limits.

Until you can get some better speakers, try engaging the compression (sometimes called “Night Time Viewing”) feature.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews