Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

New cover art: Star Trek Nemesis

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 OFFLINE   Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor

• 883 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 08:51 AM

No disc specs yet. The disc is rumored for release on May 13th.

Posted Image

#2 of 36 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 08:58 AM

Well, I guess this won't be a special edition matching Paramount's latest ST offerings. I guess we'll be waiting a few years for that one. I also could do without the blurb on the front. Ric

#3 of 36 OFFLINE   Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor

• 883 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 09:05 AM

Well, it is rumored to include director commentary and deleted scenes. It's just not a 2-disc set from the looks of it.

#4 of 36 OFFLINE   Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding

Second Unit

• 487 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 09:26 AM

was this movie any good? I heard reviews were not so favorable.

#5 of 36 OFFLINE   Richard Waller

Richard Waller

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 09:32 AM

Another cover with a critic quote. Posted Image

#6 of 36 OFFLINE   Steve Bjorg

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator

• 114 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 09:35 AM

Personally, I thought that 'Nemesis' was as bad as they come. Only Star Trek V is worse and not by much. Sometimes I wonder if someone is trying actively to kill the ST franchise.
Abstract yourself!

#7 of 36 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,794 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted February 11 2003 - 09:39 AM

I have never been a big star trek fan, although I did occasionaly watch the TV show The Next Generation. This is the first Trek movie I have seen, and I throughly enjoyed it. So did the lifetime Star Trek fan I watched it with.

#8 of 36 OFFLINE   Mark Silver

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 09:59 AM

I am a huge ST fan and I feel that this was the worst ever, even worse than ST 5. Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner's interference and involvement in the script was a prime example of actors trying to be bigger than the story.

#9 of 36 OFFLINE   Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor

• 506 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 11:29 AM

its a copy cat of Wrath of Kahn.

#10 of 36 OFFLINE   Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 11:50 AM

[quote] its a copy cat of Wrath of Kahn. [quote]

Mmmm.and my big beef with it was that it was a carbon of "Insurrection." just the names and places changed.

However, in terms of the DVD, I'll buy because it IS, after all, Star Trek. The anomoly that is commonly known as ST V, was so far off what Star Trek was that I have never owned it in any format and still feel completely safe in claiming that I have all the Star Trek films.

Not even a Shatner-approved SE coulod have redeemed that film, and Paramount is justified in denying him that opportunity. Even if all film can be called 'art,' some art is so bad that it mitigates it's own right to exist. ST V was so bad that deeming it so, isn't even an opinion; it is simply self-evidently so.

Nemesis also missed the mark, but at least carried some merit with great visuals, a good score, and a story line that at least was not so patently pretentious as ST V.

Of course...that's just my opinion!
Peter

My Collection

#11 of 36 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 12:04 PM

What does it mean when they just put a quote from Roeper on the cover. Lol.Posted Image

#12 of 36 OFFLINE   Paul-Gunther

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 06:40 PM

I'm a huge ST fan as well, and I thought it was one of the best. To each their own.

#13 of 36 OFFLINE   Bernhard

Bernhard

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 07:36 PM

I'm not that much of a Star Trek fan but (maybe because of that) I really enjoyed this movie (although my favorites remain The Voyage Home and First Contact). I'll definetly get this DVD.
My current DVD Collection

Mace Windu: "Do you know what they call a quarter pounder with cheese on Coruscant?"

#14 of 36 OFFLINE   Matt Wooten

Matt Wooten

Second Unit

• 360 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 07:37 PM

[quote] I'm a huge ST fan as well, and I thought it was one of the best. To each their own. [quote]
i second that paul.. i felt it was one of the best ST films. i will be picking this one up street date.

#15 of 36 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,308 posts

Posted February 12 2003 - 12:47 AM

It's definately only behind First Contact as the Best TNG film. Is it similar to Khan, yes it is, but it was still a decent Next Gen film. Many made their mind up to hate this film after reading drafts of the script. Then as soon as berman came out and said the film was cut 45min (All films get editted before being released) fans revolted and many that crucified the film did not even see it. They complained the little Details were lost, no lore explanation, Why was Wesley there, Why was Worf there. Etc In other words they picked Nits and decided to hate the film. Meanwhile Paramount decided they needed the film to fail so they scheduled it against LOTR's Two Towers against even Harry Potter was Anemic. Then the Die Hard Fans came on the Net and despite not seeing the film they Spewed much Vile Commentary on it encouraging other fans to stay away. The Handling of Enterprise by the B&B team also figured into this hatred and fueled it. Meanwhile the mainstream somewhat burnt out on trek also stayed away. Did I miss anything here. Bottom Line Rent it and decide for yourself. It's not all that bad.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#16 of 36 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,794 posts

Posted February 12 2003 - 01:15 AM

It wasnt as bad as I thought it would be - I resisted seeing it for a few weeks becuase I havent been happy with Trek in a long time. DS9 last season was horrible.I hated Voyager and saw only 2 or 3 episodes of Enterprise before I gave up on that one. There was ALOT cut from the movie - so if the DVD is a Dir Cut (as it should since theyve been revisiting the Trek films as Dir Cuts) then Ill buy it.

#17 of 36 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,308 posts

Posted February 12 2003 - 01:45 AM

The Movie is the Director's Cut, however there will be deleted scenes on the Disk but not incorporated in the film.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#18 of 36 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,692 posts

Posted February 12 2003 - 01:54 AM

[quote] DS9 last season was horrible. [quote]
I strongly disagree. I found it to be an excellent season and a fitting close to the series. Looking forward to the boxsets.

As for Nemesis, I don't hate the film....I'm just disappointed with the storyline and how it all focused on Picard and Data all the time. When will they give the other characters a chance to shine rather than glorified cameos? Also, there are some plot points that don't make sense logically.

Regardless, I will buy the disc....hopefully with DTS. Posted Image
Recently watched- Killer Klowns From Outer Space, Kingsman: The Secret Service, The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 4, Wolfen, The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 3, The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 2, Burn Notice: Season 2, Burn Notice: Season 1, The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 1, The Equalizer: Season 4, The Solid Gold Kidnapping, Wine,Women and War, The Six Million Dollar Man, Star Trek: Season 2

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 3, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 2, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2, Heroes: Season 2, The Pacific, Burn Notice: Season 3, Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection, The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 5

"Are we going to stand around here all day or are we going to fight?"

#19 of 36 OFFLINE   Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman

Supporting Actor

• 711 posts

Posted February 12 2003 - 02:38 AM

[quote] was this movie any good? I heard reviews were not so favorable. [quote]

The reviews from everyone seemed to be about 50/50. I liked it.

#20 of 36 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted February 12 2003 - 02:45 AM

Yup. Most folks either loved it or hated it. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground at all. Posted Image

Personally, I loved it, and I'm lookin' forward to getting the DVD.

(And for the record, I thought DS9's final season was great, Voyager sucked, and I'm really enjoying Enterprise. I can't understand how people who claim to be trek-fans write off a new series after 2-3 episodes. Have you watched the first 2-3 episodes of TNG lately? They aren't exactly awesome... nothin' personal JonZ ... to each their own. Posted Image )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users