What's new

Support the Star Wars OT on DVD campaign! (1 Viewer)

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
Anyone wishing to sign the petition for the unaltered OT on DVD and get a heads-up on the rising campaign should go here:

http://www.originaltrilogy.com/

Backed by Bill Hunt of digitalbits.com we've already achieved over 700 signatures in less than one day. While the site isn't finished yet, the petition is going strong, and it's easy to sign up for the newsletter to be notified when the site goes live in the next few weeks.

If you really want the unaltered OT on DVD, go to every forum where you've seen a topic about Star Wars and let them know that there's going to be a single site where fans can go to make their voices heard as one. Put the link in your signature, please.

There must be hundreds of thousands of people online who want the OT on DVD in its original form. My goal is to reach every single one of them and have them put their name forward. We may not see the OT until 2005 or 2006, but we can do our best between now and then to ensure we see the OT as it was shown theatrically, in addition to the completed Special Editions.

Thanks for your help!

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
#61! I'm special. ;)

While I certainly think this is a worthy cause, I would like to caution those involved with this endeavor that an online petition alone probably won't garner enough notice to be truly effective.

Letter writing campaigns, phone calls, etc., all done politely and professionally, are the way to truly get some light shed on the subject. I'm willing to participate in one or any of these.

Additionally, if there is anyone out there that has connections to non-Internet media, it would be great to have the subject of the original trilogy make it outside the online arena. An article in Entertainment Weekly or some like publication might make some noise.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
Number seven hundred and....some other number.:D

I actually have a lot of confidence in this. Who knows, maybe we'll at least get the point made.

Maybe we should contact Steven Spielberg and see if he could talk some sense into old George for us.

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
Of course you're right, Paul. This petition alone won't be enough. I'll be posting e-mail addresses, postal addresses, and phone numbers on the site so people can direct their comments offline as well. The purpose of the site is really to get attention and provide a focal point for the cause. There are a lot of people all over the net griping in message boards like this one about the Star Wars DVD situation; getting all of them in one place should make their voices more potent.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Saw the post about this on the bits last night and got in at #57.

Don't know if George will care, but at least it reinforces what many of us want to see.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
This petition alone won't be enough.
I seem to recall a petiton that helped get The Phantom Menace released on DVD when George Lucas said it would'nt be released till the PT was complete. ;)

Even though I have defended Lucas' decision in the SW DVD thread, I have signed the petition.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
#785! Maybe it won't do anything, but it doesn't hurt to have my voice heard! Better to try and be denied than to do nothing at all...

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
My dissenting opinion. Even if we gathered together a hundred and fifty million sigs, he still wouldn't do squat. It is going to take someone he knows and respects to change his mind.

I don't think the petition to get TPM on DVD did that much. He put it out on VHS only to see what would happen. I'll bet that if you could get a hold of the start-up production date for the DVD, you'd see that it was before the VHS release.

Glenn

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
I seem to recall a petiton that helped get The Phantom Menace released on DVD when George Lucas said it would'nt be released till the PT was complete.
That's very true, and it was a great effort. However, I think the power of online petitions has waned since those days. It takes more to get studios' attention, like a forum full of people writing letters, making phone calls, sending e-mails, and posting day in and day out about how much they love Star Wars and how badly they want the OT on DVD.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I signed a little while ago & I am #780. I like Star Wars EPS 4-6. I saw the theatrical cuts years ago on TV. I also watched the Special Editions on TV several years ago.

I really want to see the original trilogy on DVD. I will still purchase the special editions. I want to own the original triology & the special editions on DVD.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Well I'm all for trying a petition, but it will mean nothing if people don't stand behind it.

We can beg and plead all we want, but until we are ready to boycott the DVD if it doesn't contain the original cut, I doubt we will have any influence.

The language Lucas speaks is money...we have to talk to him in his own language, folks.

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
Though I probably would never watch it (I've seen the originals so many times I was glad they were changed - Keeps 'em fresh), I signed anyway.

People should have a choice.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Signed it; Lucas can do anything he wants with these movies, but he should at least give us what we want, too. (And I agree; the TPM DVD was probably in production before the VHS was even released...and all the while, George was denying that it would come to DVD before the PT was completed. See why I think George might be hiding something yet again?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks