Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Support the Star Wars OT on DVD campaign!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
320 replies to this topic

#1 of 321 OFFLINE   Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor

• 522 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 07:53 AM

Anyone wishing to sign the petition for the unaltered OT on DVD and get a heads-up on the rising campaign should go here:

http://www.originaltrilogy.com/

Backed by Bill Hunt of digitalbits.com, we've already achieved over 700 signatures in less than one day. While the site isn't finished yet, the petition is going strong, and it's easy to sign up for the newsletter to be notified when the site goes live in the next few weeks.

If you really want the unaltered OT on DVD, go to every forum where you've seen a topic about Star Wars and let them know that there's going to be a single site where fans can go to make their voices heard as one. Put the link in your signature, please.

There must be hundreds of thousands of people online who want the OT on DVD in its original form. My goal is to reach every single one of them and have them put their name forward. We may not see the OT until 2005 or 2006, but we can do our best between now and then to ensure we see the OT as it was shown theatrically, in addition to the completed Special Editions.

Thanks for your help!

originaltrilogy.com - Because the special editions suck

#2 of 321 OFFLINE   Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 08:02 AM

Signed. Posted Image
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#3 of 321 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 08:34 AM

Peace Out~Posted Image
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#4 of 321 OFFLINE   RudyN

RudyN

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts
  • LocationMundelein, IL

Posted February 11 2003 - 08:39 AM

My DVD Collection

Gold Trader +21 on the Good Trader List

#5 of 321 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 08:43 AM

#61! I'm special. Posted Image

While I certainly think this is a worthy cause, I would like to caution those involved with this endeavor that an online petition alone probably won't garner enough notice to be truly effective.

Letter writing campaigns, phone calls, etc., all done politely and professionally, are the way to truly get some light shed on the subject. I'm willing to participate in one or any of these.

Additionally, if there is anyone out there that has connections to non-Internet media, it would be great to have the subject of the original trilogy make it outside the online arena. An article in Entertainment Weekly or some like publication might make some noise.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#6 of 321 OFFLINE   Travis_W

Travis_W

Supporting Actor

• 531 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 08:49 AM

Number seven hundred and....some other number.Posted Image

I actually have a lot of confidence in this. Who knows, maybe we'll at least get the point made.

Maybe we should contact Steven Spielberg and see if he could talk some sense into old George for us.
I am Jack's empty signature bar.

#7 of 321 OFFLINE   Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor

• 522 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 08:51 AM

Of course you're right, Paul. This petition alone won't be enough. I'll be posting e-mail addresses, postal addresses, and phone numbers on the site so people can direct their comments offline as well. The purpose of the site is really to get attention and provide a focal point for the cause. There are a lot of people all over the net griping in message boards like this one about the Star Wars DVD situation; getting all of them in one place should make their voices more potent.

#8 of 321 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,126 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 08:55 AM

Saw the post about this on the bits last night and got in at #57.

Don't know if George will care, but at least it reinforces what many of us want to see.

#9 of 321 OFFLINE   Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 08:55 AM

Quote:
This petition alone won't be enough.

I seem to recall a petiton that helped get The Phantom Menace released on DVD when George Lucas said it would'nt be released till the PT was complete. Posted Image

Even though I have defended Lucas' decision in the SW DVD thread, I have signed the petition.

#10 of 321 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,761 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 09:07 AM

#785! Maybe it won't do anything, but it doesn't hurt to have my voice heard! Better to try and be denied than to do nothing at all...

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#11 of 321 OFFLINE   Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter

• 1,266 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 09:15 AM

790 I just hope it helps.
Jeff Whitford
Hometheater Guru ?

#12 of 321 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 09:24 AM

My dissenting opinion. Even if we gathered together a hundred and fifty million sigs, he still wouldn't do squat. It is going to take someone he knows and respects to change his mind.

I don't think the petition to get TPM on DVD did that much. He put it out on VHS only to see what would happen. I'll bet that if you could get a hold of the start-up production date for the DVD, you'd see that it was before the VHS release.

Glenn

#13 of 321 OFFLINE   Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor

• 522 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 09:26 AM

Quote:
I seem to recall a petiton that helped get The Phantom Menace released on DVD when George Lucas said it would'nt be released till the PT was complete.

That's very true, and it was a great effort. However, I think the power of online petitions has waned since those days. It takes more to get studios' attention, like a forum full of people writing letters, making phone calls, sending e-mails, and posting day in and day out about how much they love Star Wars and how badly they want the OT on DVD.

#14 of 321 OFFLINE   Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor

• 822 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 09:30 AM

I signed a little while ago & I am #780. I like Star Wars EPS 4-6. I saw the theatrical cuts years ago on TV. I also watched the Special Editions on TV several years ago.

I really want to see the original trilogy on DVD. I will still purchase the special editions. I want to own the original triology & the special editions on DVD.

#15 of 321 OFFLINE   Todd_B

Todd_B

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 09:54 AM

Done...#825

Todd B
Darmok and Jilad, at Tanagra.

#16 of 321 OFFLINE   Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 10:15 AM

Well I'm all for trying a petition, but it will mean nothing if people don't stand behind it.

We can beg and plead all we want, but until we are ready to boycott the DVD if it doesn't contain the original cut, I doubt we will have any influence.

The language Lucas speaks is money...we have to talk to him in his own language, folks.

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#17 of 321 OFFLINE   Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor

• 920 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 10:27 AM

I've been signed up here for awhile, & I hope the site goes live soon...

In the meantime, I'm #853.

#18 of 321 OFFLINE   Randy B A

Randy B A

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 10:51 AM

# 868, I hope it helps.

#19 of 321 OFFLINE   Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz

Second Unit

• 313 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 11:12 AM

Though I probably would never watch it (I've seen the originals so many times I was glad they were changed - Keeps 'em fresh), I signed anyway.

People should have a choice.

#20 of 321 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit

• 488 posts

Posted February 11 2003 - 11:21 AM

Signed it; Lucas can do anything he wants with these movies, but he should at least give us what we want, too. (And I agree; the TPM DVD was probably in production before the VHS was even released...and all the while, George was denying that it would come to DVD before the PT was completed. See why I think George might be hiding something yet again?)

Forum Nav Content I Follow