What's new

I think I did something to my JBL sub (1 Viewer)

FredC

Grip
I did something stupid, and plugged in an audio cable on my dvd player with the receiver and sub on and now get intermittent static when the sub is turned on. I don't know very much about the actual workings of something like this so I just wanted to solicit some opinions on what might be wrong. It is a powered sub that I had hooked up through the sub out on my receiver. Is it the actual sub that is bad now, or the amp? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Fred

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I plug things into the back of my components almost on a daily basis, with the components turned on, and this has never happened to me. I think if you're getting static, the cable that you plugged in last, is the one causing it. I would disconnect that cable first, and see if the static goes away. If so, then just replace the cable.

FredC

Grip
I will try that but the static is intermittent and happens whether there is a signal going to the sub or not.

FredC

Grip
My Sub is a JBL DPS10 which is a few yrs old. I've checked the connections and they seem to be secure. I did more testing to get a better description of the problem. The sound is less static, but electric crackling. It is intermittent, to the extent that it only happens when there is a signal to it and a few seconds after. I can listen to something like Elvis and everything is fine. But once I put in Saving Private Ryan and watch the opening battle, the crackling is pretty constant. It continues for about 2-3 seconds even after turning off the receiver. My guess is it is either of 2 things.

1) Subwoofer itself

2) Sub Amp

Since I have it connected through the Sub out on the receiver (Yamaha RXV-1300), I believe it just passes through the signal, so shouldn't be that.

Any input on what it could be or what tests to run to find out would be greatly appreciated.

If it is just the woofer, would it be worth replacing with another, or should I use this as an excuse to try building a sonosub?

Thanks

Fred

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
If you did what Mitch suggested and also (try a different sub cable) and the noise is still their sounds like something might be starting to fail in the subs amplifier.

Do you have another powered sub to try and see if this is the case?

This, is assuming everything was fine till the point of the new cable you spoke of being installed. Many of the JBL subs have had amps that eventually failed. (NOT ALL JBL SUBS) I do not know if your model is one of them. Others may have different ideas and or suggestions.
Regards
Geoff

Kyle P

Grip
Your sub is one of the models plagued with amp failure. Chances are that is what happened to your sub. Borrow a sub to check the incomming signal. If it doesn't work replace the amp. I understand Parts Express sells amps that would suit your application.
Best of luck

FredC

Grip
Thanks for the tips. I will try to find a sub to test the channel with. I don't think I can go without a sub for long after having one the last few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks