What's new

Are defective DVDs becoming more and more common? (1 Viewer)

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I really hate this! :angry: When I first started collecting DVDs, only a few of them were defective, but now it seems like more and more are.

I have heard from tons of people here at the HT Forum, about their discs going bad, and not being able to return them because they've had them longer than the time the store allows.

So far:

Dracula 2000 (went bad, had to buy a new version)

Queer As Folk (Season 1) {discs 3 & 5 went bad) have not exchanged or bought again....I've had it longer than the time the store allows.

Oz - Second Season (disc 4 was bad, exchanged and now all of them are good).

Six Feet Under (Disc 1 was bad, exchanged and now disc 4 is bad) :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I still have around 80 DVDs that have never been viewed, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if some of them were also defective! How come this is happening? These are new DVDs (Oz & Six Feet Under) and yet, more and more people are complaining about their disc going bad. What's going to happen to our DVD collections over time?

I've heard from a lot of people that their discs played fine 5 or 6 times, and then could never be played again! This is ridiculous! I think that studios need to do something about this!

I try my best to keep buying all of the new releases that I never got a chance to see in theaters, and wanted too, plus the ones that I did watch in theaters. Not to mention all of the "Special Edition" re-releases that are coming out almost every day! And now, I have to worry about also replacing the DVDs that are dying on me!!! :angry:

Who else is more than a little upset by this?

BTW, I also have the first printing of Heathers (Limited Edition) which went bad on a lot of people, but I haven't had the time to re-watch it with all of the new DVDs I keep buying.

Charlie Essmeier

Stunt Coordinator
It happens because DVD is still somewhat of a half-baked medium, and they haven't worked out the kinks. It was speculated that in the early days of laserdisc (1978-1980, or so) that up to 90% of all discs manufactured were defective.

By the mid-1990's, laserdisc defects were almost nonexistent.

Give DVD about ten more years, and they'll work out the kinks.

Of course, DVD as we know it won't exist in ten years, so you're probably better off if you just regard the defects as an "extra" that wasn't mentioned on the package.

Charlie

mike martin

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I can say that I have never purchases a defective dvd yet. I've had a couple that were scratched because the came loose of the holder; but all of them played. Of coure I've rented plenty that wouldn't play. For reference I don't purchase nearly as many dvd's as many here probobly due. Maybe one or two movies a month and one set of something every three or four months.

Jerry AZ

Stunt Coordinator
I was just thinking the same thing. I've now had problems for the last few months. X-Files season #2 disk#4, A Bridge to Far, and the LOR SE set. :frowning: Prior to that, no problems with any disks.

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

Poor bastard, you must have picked up on the the Sony pressed discs. The Pioneer pressing of MIB never had any problems.

To the day they shut down the plant, the Sony's Terra Haute location always had laser rot problems.

Daniel L

*** The Sony pressed discs have big obnoxious letters on the inner ring.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
To the day they shut down the plant, the Sony's Terra Haute location always had laser rot problems.
Exactly. So much for "perfecting" the format. ;)

I do think there are more defective DVDs out there than when the format was just getting established. But that's largely because there are simply more DVDs out there, period. I got defective discs when the format was new, and I still get 'em today. Sometimes it seems like I hit a streak (a few weeks ago I bought two titles at Best Buy and both had to be exchanged), but it's more likely just bad luck.

M.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
:angry: I was watching the 2-disc edition of Pearl Harbor today, and I it got stuck, and wouldn't continue on disc 1. I managed to skip the chapter, and the rest of it played fine. This is yet another disc that has gone bad on me. This one played fine when I first got it.

I do have the 4-disc Visa Series version, but I watch the 2-disc edition more than the 4 disc.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Interesting that you bring up this topic. I tried to play Heathers(the anamorphic version) the other night and the DVD won't work. This is the 2nd disc I've had to replace recently with 2001(again the anamorphic one) being the previous one.

I guess "DVD Rot" does exist.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Could this problem be related to the DVD player used?

I don't own one but Radio Shack was advertising a DVD player that would read DVDs with defects. This makes me believe that some players will experience a higher percentage of defective DVDs than others.

Jay Taylor

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yes. Once again, Heathers is not a case of DVD Rot. Defective lacquer, a known problem (Frankenstein Created Woman and The Witches, also done by Crest National for Anchor Bay have the same problem), and Anchor Bay is very good about replacing the discs quickly.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Jay Taylor
Could this problem be related to the DVD player used?I don't own one but Radio Shack was advertising a DVD player that would read DVDs with defects. This makes me believe that some players will experience a higher percentage of defective DVDs than others.
Well, I have two DVD players at the moment, and the ones that I said were defective, I have tried in both machines only to get the same results (lock-ups in the same places).

I have the Sony NS700p (which claims it will read just about any disc, which is true, if it's not defective). And I have the Panasonic rv32 or rk32 (don't have it in front of me so I don't remember the letters).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I crapped my pants when my LOTRSE disk 2 crapped out at my dads (locked up over 3 chapters). But it played fine on my player at home.

The only disk I had go funny is Memento (standard edition from Aliance in Canada). It started to go all pixalated at the gun chase scene. My solution was to pawn it for $10, and put the $10 towards the LE version. BUYER BEWARE at the pawn shops!

I'm scared to try Fantasia and others, as I've heard they had problems. Other than that, my Simpsons season 2 disk one is cranky when loading (I have to open and close the tray about 3 times to get it to run), but once it's recognized by my player, it works fine. Anyone else have this problem?

My player is pretty reliable, as it tends to play disks that crap out on other players with no problems. (Its a cheap Panasonic player that came with the surround speakers. Of course, 3 months after I bought it, they put out a DTS version with a sub for $100 more, but that's another story. I'm at work so I don't have the model number to share, if anyone cares.)
:b

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I had a number of instances of pixilization on the Queer as Folk discs. I found that if I stopped the player, then pressed play again, it would stop. Don't know why.

I'm about ready to upgrade players. My main player is a Panasonic A-112 that I got at Christmas 1999. It will hardly load any disc anymore without a hassle. Once it does, it plays flawlessly, but fighting to load every disc is a pain.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
When I first started collecting DVDs, only a few of them were defective, but now it seems like more and more are.
That kind of makes sense...Considering most DVD collectors have hundreds (or thousands) of DVD's the likelihood of getting defective ones increases with every purchase.

To add to the list...My Undercover Brother freezes during the layer change...out of the approx. 275 that I have, this is the first one to malfunction.

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
I've had two defective discs in the last eight months or so, with differing results each time.

The first time was with "Monsters Inc" which many others had as well. My player (Pioneer DV-414) locked up at the (badly placed) layer switch and wouldn't go anywhere unless I manually pushed the Chapter Forward button. When I called BVHE (who, I will preface by saying, were very helpful and kind when I had to replace "Jackie Brown" a few weeks earlier), they directed me to a technician who basically told me that it was my fault for not having a compatible player and that I should really upgrade to a new player if I didn't want these problems. When I told him that this was the first time I'd had a problem, and that several other people with different players had this same problem, he didn't know what to say, so he put me on hold and hung up on me. That's what I get for being polite I suppose. :rolleyes

The second defective disc I got was the Criterion "Brazil" which pixellated and froze when Sam is coming down the lift around the middle of the film. I contacted DVD Empire and they not only gave me a free replacement, they paid for UPS Ground shipping as well as for a UPS call tag for me to send the defective disc back. And they were the nicest people in the world about it. So, a thumbs up for DVD Empire. :emoji_thumbsup:

Of course, this is all prefaced by a huge knock on wood. I haven't had many defective discs, but I don't want to have any more for sure.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
delamination and other piss poor manfacturing defects are only increasing. also, the more dvds you have, the more "dead" discs you will have. some "lucky" collectors will have few or no problems...but usually do to the fact that checking over 1000 dvds, all the way through and often....is almost impossible. I'm almost at 1000 and I fear that these dvds will never last. it's a great format for the casual dvd buyer...some dont notice or dont care. this is the similar attitude of dvd manufacturing...they dont care. they may hear whispers over the internet....but since nobody is SCREAMING in thier face...they cant hear. I've had 17 dvds die due to P.P.M.(piss poor manufacturing), mistaken for "rot". my first was "Bladerunner" last year. others included out of print dvds which companies refused to replace. they couldnt...the oops were history. no money back, no kind words...no answers. I take very proper care of my dvds.

just another reason why private collectors should be allowed to back up the collection. it's only fair. thats alot of $ I've invested for sloopy product.

people will tell you not to worry...relax...calm down dude...that kind of thing. I'm not saying all is lost yet, but if industry leaders dont react soon, time will be up.

I love films. I love dvds. but i'm only getting dvds because thats about the only format where you can see so many films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks