-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HTF REVIEW: "King of Kings" (with screenshots)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#41 of 63 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,223 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted March 01 2003 - 03:19 AM

Sorry for the typo. It's all in stereo.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#42 of 63 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,223 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted March 01 2003 - 03:30 AM

Technically, The Fall Of The Roman Empire and Mutiny On The Bounty '62 can be exhibited at 2.55:1 on video. 2.76:1 definately would be nice, but neither film was to be shown at THAT wide of an aspect ratio. They framed everything to fit in the 2.55:1 aspect ratio due to theaters generally not having screens that wide.

In the Ultra Panavision section of the Widescreem museum -
http://widescreenmus...een/wingup5.htm , Marty says:

"Mutiny on the Bounty would also have the distinction of being the last Ultra Panavision 70 film to be shown using anamorphic prints and the full 2.76:1 screen ratio."

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#43 of 63 Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,800 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted March 01 2003 - 04:17 AM

It would be interesting to know details of the charcter Richard Johnson played in the film, before his part was cut out. His only appearance remaining in the film is at 155.30 mins where he can clearly be seen in front of a crowd when Jesus pauses to look or speak to him. He has a wealthy and imposing appearance quite unlike the other people in the crowd and clearly the scene is meant to mean something.

#44 of 63 Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted March 01 2003 - 04:28 AM

Quote:
It's all in stereo.

Well, as has been noted previously, it's all in six-channel sound as in the original mix.
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#45 of 63 Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,853 posts

Posted March 01 2003 - 04:33 AM

Quote:
It would be interesting to know details of the charcter Richard Johnson played in the film, before his part was cut out. His only appearance remaining in the film is at 155.30 mins where he can clearly be seen in front of a crowd when Jesus pauses to look or speak to him. He has a wealthy and imposing appearance quite unlike the other people in the crowd and clearly the scene is meant to mean something.

Johnson played the part of a Judean aristocrat who is compelled to follow Jesus. The film was already too long so his part ended up on the cutting room floor. This info is from the book DIVINE IMAGES: A HISTORY OF JESUS ON THE SCREEN by Roy Kinnard and Tim Davis.

#46 of 63 Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted March 01 2003 - 04:43 AM

The lack of grain in the DVD transfer of King Of Kings could be attributed to the high-fidelity of Technirama. The Criterion of Spartacus lacks grain, does it not? The Paramount region 2 edition of Zulu was pretty much grain-free. Super Panavision films like Lawrence and My Fair Lady also look 'grain-free'.

In actuality, it may just be that the grain structure on King Of Kings was very, very fine.

RAH has already championed this transfer, but it would be interesting to hear a detailed commentary from Mr Harris.

Maybe in the next Digital Bits column. Posted Image

Gordy

#47 of 63 William D Cavender

William D Cavender

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted March 01 2003 - 01:49 PM

I saw this one day after school a few days after its opening at the EGYPTIAN. I liked it then, I really like it now. I am going to buy several copies to give as guifts. This effort was deserving much better packaging.

#48 of 63 Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted March 01 2003 - 02:48 PM

Quote:
RAH has already championed this transfer, but it would be interesting to hear a detailed commentary from Mr Harris.
I'm always happy to hear that about a DVD.

But where did you see comments from Robert about this disc?

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#49 of 63 Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted March 01 2003 - 03:33 PM

Quote:
But where did you see comments from Robert about this disc?

Robert first wrote about it in a thread about The Cardinal.
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#50 of 63 Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted March 01 2003 - 03:40 PM

Thanks, Randy.

I have to agree with him about the added title cards. Kind of silly...

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#51 of 63 Larry P

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted March 01 2003 - 05:22 PM

I would reccomend King of Kings to fans of epic historical adventures, even if they aren't interested in religion.

I think it should be said that, if nothing else, Jesus Christ exists as a literary/motion picture character. People enjoy watching Hamlet, Tarzan, James Bond, etc portrayed through the years by different actors so I think it should be interesting for people to watch the "character" of Jesus with the same type of fascination since he has been a major character in many grand productions over the years.

Having said all of that, I think this film works because of Jeffrey Hunter (the first Star Trek captain, btw). He *is* Jesus to many of us, I think. I think the idea of Jesus is that he's a perfect man. So I think to have Jesus be startingly good looking is a good idea.

Hunter is passionate (sermon on the mount is very uplifting) and he never gets upset or acts mean. I think filmakers run into a problem when they attempt a more realistic Jesus Christ. I think this was the main problem with Martin Scorcese's Last Temptation of Christ. From a thematic standpoint, Jesus is just too out of character.

It's a really simple story, and it's campy at times, but it works because the central character works. I think it's very effective when the camera closes in on Hunters calm face and bright blue eyes, and the great score (think Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade)swells around you. I for one, am in reverence.

#52 of 63 DeeF

DeeF

Screenwriter

• 1,676 posts

Posted March 03 2003 - 03:15 AM

Watching this movie, I was surprised how much of it really isn't about Jesus at all. It's a full hour into the movie before Jesus is an adult and beginning his ministry. And almost all of the other characters and their stories are fictional to the extent that we know about them. Pilate's wife being the daughter of the emperor Tiberius? As I said, fictional characters play a lot in this movie.

I do think Jeffrey Hunter is very credible, even with auburn hair and blue eyes. There is some speculation that Mary was raped as a young girl by a Roman soldier, perhaps as she lay unconscious, and this might account for her understanding of a virginal pregnancy, and also Jesus's fair complexion. (Joseph was not Jesus's father, in any case).

I don't mean to start a religious debate, but I did find this theory about Mary worthwhile. It's just a theory, obviously.

#53 of 63 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted March 03 2003 - 03:38 AM

Jesus' "fair complexion" is something created by western European artists who envisioned a savior who looked like they do.

That historical mis-representation continues in films like this one (not being critical of the film...just pointing out that the pictures of a white-skinned/blue-eyed Jesus that you see hanging in religeous shops and in movies is a mythical representation, not a historically accurate one).

-dave
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#54 of 63 DeeF

DeeF

Screenwriter

• 1,676 posts

Posted March 03 2003 - 03:59 AM

Of course, there is no "historical" look to Jesus at all.

The gospels were not biographies, but religous tracts meant to convert, written decades after the crucifixion. The gospels actually came after the letters of Paul.

It's just as plausible that Jesus was fair than any other choice.

#55 of 63 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted March 03 2003 - 06:05 AM

yes...we've had it wrong all these years...he was actually a blue-eyed *blonde*

Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#56 of 63 Brian W.

Brian W.

Screenwriter

• 1,958 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted March 06 2003 - 05:16 PM

The 1962 Mutiny on the Bounty in the works? Cool. Posted Image

#57 of 63 Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,800 posts

Posted March 09 2003 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE]Johnson played the part of a Judean aristocrat who is compelled to follow Jesus. The film was already too long so his part ended up on the cutting room floor. This info is from the book DIVINE IMAGES: A HISTORY OF JESUS ON THE SCREEN by Roy Kinnard and Tim Davis. [/quote]

According to other sources Richard Johnson played the character of David, not a follower of Jesus, but a financial supporter of Barabbas and a dissatisfied Judean aristocrat. After it was decided to write him out, some of Johnson's scenes with Barabbas had to be rewritten and reshot with Rip Torn's Judas. Apparently the character is retained in the novelisation of the film.

#58 of 63 Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted March 09 2003 - 05:29 PM

"I don't mean to start a religious debate, but I did find this theory about Mary worthwhile. It's just a theory, obviously."

Since this "theory" has nothing to do with the movie, why is it even mentioned at all?

You have to admit that for those of us who would have a few choice things to say about such a "theory", since it is deeply offensive to millions of practicing Christians, are hamstrung by the fact that if we did, we'd end up causing the thread to be closed.

#59 of 63 Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,150 posts

Posted March 09 2003 - 06:54 PM

Re: "... since it is deeply offensive to millions of practicing Christians"

What about the millions of practicing athiests? Are their "feelings" not to be taken into account when the idea of virgins giving birth is ludicrous to them? Or are their "feelings" of no concern because they don't buy into the accepted dogma?

Not trying to be controversial, just playing the devil's advocate and getting a level playing field.

#60 of 63 Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,800 posts

Posted March 09 2003 - 09:48 PM

Quote:
What about the millions of practicing athiests

Surely you can't be a "practicing" atheist. You either are an atheist or are not. Otherwise it would be akin to a religion in itself!

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow