What's new

lawn mowers (1 Viewer)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
What do you all know about lawn mowers? Brands, prices, places to buy, etc...

I'll be moving into my first house in a little less than 3 weeks and it'll be my first time having a lawn of my own (yes I've mowed lawns before, but never had to care for my own).

The sod was just put in about 2 weeks ago and it hasn't taken hold yet and is very squishy (some standing water issues too that I'm gonna make the builder fix).

Any recommendations?

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I swear by Craftsman. Only two mowers in 15 years...that says something about their quality.

LewB

Screenwriter
Ditto on the Craftsman. My first one lasted 12 years, I had to give it up because the body was rotting out, the engine was still purring. If I had only cleaned the grass from the mower deck, I might still have it. :frowning:

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I hear lots of good things about Honda mowers. Their engines are top-notch, with lower emissions than other brands.

I have an old bottom-of-the-line Murray (bought in '94) with a Tecumseh engine. It still starts/runs just fine. And here in FL, I cut my grass a LOT- about 8-9 months of the year, and at LEAST once a week, usually twice from Jun-Sept.

Go mulching, if your lawn will tolerate it (most will). It'll save you a lot of hassle.

Todd

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
My lawn isn't very large and I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on the mower. Its also all flat, no inclines.

I looked at the price of honda's...man they are expensive. Am I really going to have to spend $300 on a mower? I want one that lasts and does its job but I don't need multiple speeds or any kind of special options. Just need a push, mulching, gas mower. I'll have to check out craftsman. I just bought a fridge (whirlpool) from sears and a craftsman garage opener.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
IMO, when comparing price/quality, the Craftsman mowers come out ahead of the Hondas, Toros and Lawn Boys. You should easily be able to find a good mulching Craftsman for far less than $300...in fact, probably less than $200.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
i have a John Deere push mower that i bought six or seven years ago that still starts on the first or second pull every time, usually first. aluminum deck (the body) so it won't ever rust out. my father in law has the same mower and it also starts on the first or second pull.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
My Honda has lasted 12 years, and it still looks and performs as if it were brand new. I consider it money well spent.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I second the Murray recommendation if you want to go inexpensively. I bought mine at Home Depot for 150.00 when we first bought my house, figuring I'd upgrade when I had money. Seven years later, I gave it away(still running) to buy a 7 hp Craftsman, which did no better of a job than the Murray.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for all your suggestions. I figure I still have some time before the grass actually starts growing since its so new. Hopefully there will be some good sales come April or so.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
my old man has a honda that's going on 15 years, still runs like a dream with nothing but abuse and no maintenance, not so much as a sparkplug.

the kubotas are also nice..

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I like my Craftsman, it's a pretty good mower for the money.

My next mower will more than likely be a Honda, though.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Jeez, I just realized that I have been cutting grass for over 40 years. :frowning:
Craftsman: 1st one ran 15 years
Cheap Murray: body fell apart after 3 years
Craftsman: 2nd one ran 15 years
Didn't cut the grass for 2 years because I was in a bad mood.
Scott self-propelled walk-behind (I treated myself): this baby was top-notch, so naturally somebody stole it after 3 years.
Now I'm back to not cutting the grass.

LewB

Screenwriter
keep in mind that the Murray and the Craftsman my be one in the same. It all depends which major manufacturer Sears decides on to make the Craftsman line. It's the same for about any other appliance (refrig, stove, washer, dryer) that has the Sears name on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks