Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Vmps Qso 808

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Jack_Geo

Jack_Geo

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted February 06 2003 - 04:06 PM

Hi all... I'm thinking about getting the QSO 808 as a kit and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this speaker from VMPS? I thought I'd add a 626 or a Large Ribbon Center later on for center duty, and depending on how I liked the 808, possibly get another pair of these for rears. I'll be adding a sub later. Any thoughts? Thanks Jack

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Tim_S

Tim_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted February 07 2003 - 03:12 AM

I have the VMPS RM1's but haven't tried the 808's or 626's. I can tell you that it is in the VMPS ribbon speakers that the true magic resides. I would expect the 808's to be perfectly decent speakers but the ribbons will be very different beasts. I don't think I would recommend having a ribbon center and non ribbon mains (ribbon mains and ribbon center I would recommend Posted Image ). Also, I think I saw a post on another forum a little while back suggesting that some of the non-ribbon VMPS speakers were being discontinued. Don't want to spread falso information, but you might check to be sure they will still be available if you have not already.

Tim

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   george king

george king

Supporting Actor

• 626 posts

Posted February 07 2003 - 07:55 AM

If you are looking at ribbon speakers, you may want to check out the new Criterion over at GR Research. Here is the link

http://www.gr-resear...y/criterion.htm

and there have been several user reviews at Harmonic Discord, Audio Circle, and I think Audio Asylum.

Hope this helps.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Jack_Geo

Jack_Geo

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted February 07 2003 - 09:40 AM

Tim, George: Thanks for the replies. Tim: I hadn't heard or read anything about the non-ribbons being discontinued, but it may be possible. There are only a few non-ribbons in the VMPS lineup, so it might make sense. George: I thought about the Criterion, as well...it's also getting fabulous reviews. I'm not sold on ribbons, this is just my latest phase. I did hear, and maybe you can shed some light on this, that some ribbon speakers have a very narrow sweet spot...and this is a concern of mine. Of course, other suggestions are welcome. Thanks again. Jack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users