What's new

Positioning a sub near a RPTV. (1 Viewer)

Jeramy_K

Stunt Coordinator
Is there anything to consider when placing a subwoofer close to a RPTV. Meaning less than 3ft or so ? My concern is possible damage or problems with the RPTV. Anyone have any suggestions or input ? If need be I can move the sub to another side of the room but for a matter of convenience I'd like to keep the sub on the same side of the room as the front speakers and TV.

Thanks,
Jeramy

Joe Becker

Auditioning
I'd say no problem at 3'. My sub is that close to my RPTV. In a previous HT setup, I placed the 32" direct view TV 6 inches above the sub without any effect. Some subs may be shielded, some not, but 3' should be safe.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
For an unshielded driver, 3' is generally OK. You should be able to see any detrimental effects to the image if there is any magnetic effect.

As to vibration issues, I'm not sure that proximity is a determining factor. The sub specs, volume level, placement of the sub and TV, and room acoustics combine to determine what amplitude hits the TV (or parts of the TV) for each frequency. Parts of the TV may be susceptible to vibration (i.e., resonance) at certain frequencies and amplitudes. I would guess that for most HT cases, such effects are minimal. I'd be interested in hearing war stories of such an effect, though.

Doug

Jeramy_K

Stunt Coordinator
I guess my biggest concern is related to internal alignments, etc. of the RPTV. Wouldn't want to have a good calibration performed only to find that the sub is knocking off the alignment.

-Jeramy

Shawn O

Stunt Coordinator
I had a pw-2200 sitting about 1/2 an inch to the side of a 61" rptv.If I played at high volumes(usually every weekend) for an hour or longer I would have to re-converge.

Since then I've moved the sub to the back of the room and convergence has remained stable.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I have a Klipsch KSW-12 sitting right next to a Sony KP57HW-40 for over a year with no problems. I was adjusting bass peak level on my new receiver a while back and actually got the tv screen to visibly vibrate, but it didn't affect the convergence, nor have I had any magnetic effects. I've watched Blade II and Matrix several times with bass heavy enough to cause my room's walls to vibrate and provoke cracking noises from the ceiling, but it never bothered the tv.

Same sub sat next to an analog 53" Hitachi for a year, no problems.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
with bass heavy enough to cause my room's walls to vibrate and provoke cracking noises from the ceiling, but it never bothered the tv
Hmmm... At that point, I'd worry more about getting kicked out of the neighborhood than my TV's convergence. :D

_Man_

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
A 25" direct-view set is more affected by magnetics than an RPTV is. The latter has 7" guns. The larger the CRT, the more magnetism effects it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks