What's new

DIY speakers (1 Viewer)

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
hello all,

i'm looking into making my own front L/R speakers. i was on speakerpage.com and came across the K08T23 I just wanted to know if anyone has made these before and how they sound. Also i don't use an amp i just have a receiver, is that enough to power these speakers? Oh, one more thing this would be my first attempt at making my own speakers is this a good kit to start with? i figure its not expensive so if i really screw up i won't have huge expensive paper weights. i have full woodworking tools, table saw, router, drill press, clamps and i have built my own mini-entertainment center so that aspect is covered. I will be going to a book store to read up on crossovers and all that fun stuff.

thanks,
jay

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Jassen, I built the predecessor to these a couple of years ago. They use the same very good 8" driver that the SCH guys designed. Many people have heard mine and are very impressed with the sound quality/value. There's a low res pic of one of mine on this web site:
http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
I would definitely recommend these. The crossover design is done and the xover parts and circuit boards are included.
You didn't mention your reciever's power, but I would guess it's enough for these - depends on your SPL requirements.
Looks like you've got the tools to build your own cabinets.
Go for it:)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jassen,

I have a current pair of those and recommend them highly. They're very hard to beat for the price and sound great too!

Also, if you're a bit squeamish about the crossovers, just order them pre-assembled. I think it's only $10 or so.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
its an onkyo tx-sr600 rated at 80wpc but thats probably closer to 30-35 wpc all channels driven. Also the room is small and i've never had a problem filling it with sound. i'll keep in mind the fully made Xovers but i would like to try it myself the experience would be nice.
thanks for the replys
jay

Chris Keen

Stunt Coordinator
I may be trying a set of these or something similar in the the near future. I would like to start out with a set of towers, and then do a center and a set of surrounds. These would be as a gift for my parents. Trying to keep the overall expense down, but get a very good sounding quality speaker setup. How is the center channel that they offer?

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
After looking into the above linked speaker i saw that it is a 6 ohm speaker will that be ok with my receiver? the other 4 speakers are 8 ohms each. also (and this is probably a silly question) SV subs are "round for a reason" so why couldn't i make a round enclosure in like a snowman shape? also how about the sound qualities of 1/4 steel or stainless steel? i don't want a tin can effect but one of the other diy speaker threads said the optimum material for an enclosure to use would be concrete unless i read that wrong.

thanks again
jay

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
The SVS enclosures have a woofer that fires downwards, because sub-bass is omnidirectional by nature, and the downfiring design holds several advantages for that type of design. The subwoofer fires down onto a piece called a "plinth" which is a plate that keeps the carpet from soaking up all the bass. The woofer in a set of full-range speakers puts out sounds which are directional, and if they fired down into the carpet you would lose all the midrange.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
sorry , i didn't mean to fire the "SVS" style speakers down but towards as if the sub fell over and the driver was facing you with no base plate. kind of shaped like a number 8 . mid-range in the lower part of the 8 and tweeter in the upper.

-
jay

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Jassen: Your receiver should work fine. I had my towers hooked up to two different receivers before moving to separates.

Chris: The SCH center channel is the one you saw at my house when you listened to my Tempest sonosub. It's also the one pictured on my funky Geocities web site. You're welcome to come over and give it a listen.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jassen,

My only concern would be how well your idea would work with the existing crossover design.

Chris,

BTW, I've got two of the center channel kits that I bought right before the current version was discontinued. I'd be willing to sell you one if you're interested.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
how would i design a crossover to work with that? also if i kept the volume and porting the same as the rectangular shaped box on the website wouldn't the same crossover work? now i'm heading into uncharted waters though, maybe i should just stick to the existing design....:frowning:
i must say this is a great learning experience.

thanks,
jay

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Anytime you change baffle width the crossover needs to be redesigned. So I'd stick with the posted design if I were you.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
ok,, i was hoping to paint them black with white circles and call them 8 balls but maybe when i get more experience.:frowning: the only reason i asked about this shape was because ofthis article. I thought they looked nice. but i drive a beetle so i like the rounded shape :D

thanks again, i'm sure i'll have plenty of questions once i get started, hmm... when's that tax refund check going to be here....

jay

Chris Keen

Stunt Coordinator
Brian, I may take you up on your offer. I still have a few other projects to complete first, and then I'll need to make decision on what speaker setup to build for them.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
ok, now looking into these but i can't find out how many ohms they are. there is a line on that page that says impedance is 8W ,, i thought impedance should read either 4ohm, 6ohm or 8ohm. i can't seem to find that information anywhere on there. help?

thanks
jay

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think you can treat them as a nominal 8 ohm speaker. The 6.5" drivers have a 6 ohm rating but they are hooked up in series (closer to 12 ohms) based on the crossover diagram. And the tweeter has an 8 ohm rating.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
Ok i decided on the Audax set of L&R speakers and ordered them last night. I also went to the store and bought some MDF. The one thing that was a bummer was they had no 1" MDF, what to do? I was thinking of buying 2 pcs of 1/2" and laminating them together but i'm worried about gaps.Also does anyone know how deep i have to go to flush mount the drivers. I think the tweeter does not have to be flush mounted. is 1/4" too deep?

thanks

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
The tweeter MUST be flush mounted. With the woofer its optional, but looks much better. 1/4 is too deep.

Making 1 inch MDF out of 1/2 inch is a snap. Just use yellow glue and apply plenty of pressure.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
The parts are here, i have all the panels cut and tweeter and driver holes cut. next step is to get the router out to flush mount the drivers and tweeter. The kit came with some foam should i go out and buy the egg-crate foam or just use what was supplied? also on the side that i mount the crossover do i foam under the crossover or around it?

thanks,
jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks