Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HTF REVIEW: "The Color Purple" Special Edition (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,979 posts

Posted February 03 2003 - 08:21 PM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 36 OFFLINE   Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,241 posts

Posted February 03 2003 - 09:52 PM

I own the original disc, bought it right before this one was announced. Ron, you sold me on the new one.

#3 of 36 OFFLINE   Jon Sheedy

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted February 03 2003 - 10:12 PM

I agree that the original release of The Color Purple didn't look too bad...can't wait to upgrade though! Keep these Special Editions comin' Warner Bros!!! JOn
"Don't you wonder sometimes...
'bout sound and vision"

#4 of 36 OFFLINE   JakeLip

JakeLip

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted February 03 2003 - 11:57 PM

Is this one worth buying blind? After all the good I've heard about it I'm considering it, but I'm still not sure if I should rent it first. Oh, and if anyone from Warner happens to be reading this - why can't you give Harry Potter this type of great special editioN? ::sigh::

#5 of 36 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,744 posts

Posted February 04 2003 - 01:06 AM

Jake, it's more than worth a blind purchase. It's one of the finest films Spielberg has ever made. It's wonderful in every respect.
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#6 of 36 OFFLINE   Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

• 573 posts

Posted February 04 2003 - 01:21 AM

I personally lost a lot of respect for the Academy when they snubbed this film (even though it did get 11 nominations). Has there ever been a film that has totally been neglected at the ceremony after so many nominations? I was not only moved by the film but also tried to reflect on its teachings for years to come. I'm glad this film is getting this kind of treatment so that rewatching it will not be compromised. It's good to see that the extras are worthy complements to the film rather than just random add-ons. Even though I own the original release, it will be handed down to other family members when this edition comes out. Joel

#7 of 36 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted February 04 2003 - 01:31 AM

This has been a very long wait. I agree that this film was a masterpiece that did not get its due recognition. It will be finally nice to tget the entire movie on one side without flipping. Thanks for the review Ron (and you are correct about the heart strings. Even now I have dust in my eyes Posted Image thinking about the end of the film.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#8 of 36 OFFLINE   Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted February 04 2003 - 01:43 AM

[quote] Is this one worth buying blind? [quote] Yes. If you buy this DVD and don't like it I'll personally refund your money (after completely questioning your sanity, of course).

I've been waiting for this one for a LONG LONG time. Thanks, Warner!!!!!!!

#9 of 36 OFFLINE   Chuck L

Chuck L

Screenwriter

• 1,008 posts

Posted February 04 2003 - 01:45 AM

Thanks for the great review...this is one of the top disc of the year that I am waiting for along with Mildred Pierce, Laura and WB's SE of Friday The 13th...strange combo I know!

#10 of 36 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted February 04 2003 - 03:55 AM

I have not seen this before and thanks again Ron for a great review. Looks like I will be buying this after all.

Thanks again WB for this

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#11 of 36 OFFLINE   kevin_asai

kevin_asai

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted February 04 2003 - 04:18 AM

I am curious now. Why Steven Spielberg didn't work with his best friend, John Williams, on Color Purple?

#12 of 36 OFFLINE   Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted February 04 2003 - 06:01 AM

[quote] I cannot give a film nor a DVD a higher recommendation than this one. [quote] So how come it doesn't say "Highly Recommended" in the thread title? Posted Image

Seriously though, would someone please give me a job so I can buy this DVD? Posted Image

Ok, truly seriously, thanks for the review.

Man, it's been far too long since I've seen this movie.

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#13 of 36 OFFLINE   Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor

• 953 posts

Posted February 04 2003 - 06:29 AM

I thought there was going to be an audio commentary with Whoopi and Oprah. Where did it go?
Danny Federici, we'll meet you in the land of hope and dreams

#14 of 36 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,961 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted February 04 2003 - 06:30 AM

[quote] I am curious now. Why Steven Spielberg didn't work with his best friend, John Williams, on Color Purple? [quote]

It was because Quincy Jones held the rights to the material. He was taken on as one of the producers and presumably insisted on doing the music.

#15 of 36 OFFLINE   Guy_K

Guy_K

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted February 04 2003 - 06:54 AM

I'll probably get this one. How come this didn't get a HIGHLY RECOMMENDED stamp on the header?

#16 of 36 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,979 posts

Posted February 04 2003 - 07:22 AM

Guys, It should have had a HIGHLY RECOMMENDED put in the title. I put the review up shortly after 4am this morning and 'da noggin' just wasn't thinking. You'll see a HIGHLY RECOMMENDED status added.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#17 of 36 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted February 04 2003 - 08:06 AM

Nice review! I've owned the CAV Laser for years, & it will be a pleasure to retire it.

[quote] I am so proud of Warner Bros. for releasing this
film in a brand-new two-disc Special Edition,
arriving in a very attractive cardboard slipcover
which contains a pull-out that opens to a 3-pane
inner gatefold. [quote]
I seriously disagree here. I hate digipaks! It is bad enough that WB puts single DVDs in snappers, the least they can do IMHO is give these 2-disc Special Editions a release in keepcases. I guess I'll just have to design my own cover & throw the digipak in the garbage where it rightfully belongs.

Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#18 of 36 OFFLINE   greg_t

greg_t

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted February 04 2003 - 11:37 AM

I had a theater class in college where all we did was watch movies, and The Color Purple was one we saw. It was a very moving film that I thought was just incredible. I will be picking this one up.

#19 of 36 OFFLINE   Tim RH

Tim RH

Second Unit

• 375 posts

Posted February 04 2003 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for the review Ron (and the high praise of an underrated film)! Spielberg deserves more credit than he gets sometimes, IMHO. Anyway, I can't wait to pick this one up. Posted Image

#20 of 36 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted February 05 2003 - 04:07 AM

Thanks for the review Ron. Can't wait to get this.

Re: the supplement curiously/confusingly titled The Color Purple: The Musical I found this in the review at spielbergfilms.com;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users