What's new

What recommendations for a $400 DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
This is what I'm looking at:

I currently don't have a HDTV, though I do expect to have one by this time next year.

My current TV has S-Video, so I'll be using that for now.
DVD-Audio/SACD would be nice, but isn't a must.

I am looking at the Panasonic RP-91..but after doing some searching, I'd still like to know what my fellow HTFers think.

Also, does anyone know,or have any ideas as to buy a Panasonic RP-82? (or something that comes close?)

Thanks in advance...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Why spend so much on a player if you'll only use it w/ s-video to an old TV for another year?

If you already have a player, I suggest just wait until you do your TV upgrade.

If you don't have a player, where have you been??? :D Might be better off just buying a cheap player now to match your current TV and upgrade along w/ the TV upgrade later.

For example, if you only spend $100 or so now, you can probably get a progressive scan player later for ~$300 that would probably blow away the Panny PR91 or RP82 or the like.

_Man_

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Of course I have a DVD Player...actually owned a Panny DVD-A110 at one time.

What I currently use is an older Samsung player, which I'm giving to my Mom to use. I don't need to spend the whole $400 - that is my budget,& my limit.

While I know that something better will come out down the road - at least I know if I can pick up a prog. scan at a halfway decent price - I'll be able to utilize that the day I do get my HDTV.

So...any recommendations?

It seems the RP82 has been discontinued by Panasonic. Not sure exactly why as it was/is wildly popular and very highly rated. Apparently they are very hard to find now.... looking for one myself.

Jim

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, if you don't care about scaling/aspect ratio control features or region-free, PAL->NTSC playback or good audio quality for anything other than DD/DTS digital output or build quality, then the primary candidates would be the Panny RP82 or XP30 or CP70 or maybe the XP50. The XP30 is supposed to be just as good as the RP82 while the CP70 is a changer that's supposed to be fairly close in PQ. The jury's still out for the XP50. Check the Secrets' shootout for fairly comprehensive comparative reviews:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ut-1-2003.html

Some people do prefer players that didn't do well in the shootout for one reason or another. Could be one or more of the above mentioned. Could simply be a different weighting of what matters for PQ or just overall subjective PQ. Could also be price or even be little things like quality of the remote.

If you know you want a Panny RP82, then the XP30 will probably do.

Me? I'm also shopping w/ a similar budget, but I'm doing it for my newly bought HDTV. :) And given the potentials of the newly released Philips 963sa (and its seeming lack of fulfillment thus far) in a market that lacks a real competitor for its potentials, I'm still sitting on the fence. I'm hoping the 963sa will do everything that the Panny RP82 can PLUS all the other things I mentioned above. So far, its scaling/aspect ratio control features still need some work/revision and quality control seems a little suspect. Also, it has yet to be reviewed in a Secrets' shootout. So all in all, the jury's still out.

If you have some patience, you might want to wait and see just like me.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks