Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

What recommendations for a $400 DVD player?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor

• 920 posts

Posted February 03 2003 - 05:05 PM

This is what I'm looking at:

I currently don't have a HDTV, though I do expect to have one by this time next year.

My current TV has S-Video, so I'll be using that for now.
DVD-Audio/SACD would be nice, but isn't a must.

I am looking at the Panasonic RP-91..but after doing some searching, I'd still like to know what my fellow HTFers think.

Also, does anyone know,or have any ideas as to buy a Panasonic RP-82? (or something that comes close?)

Thanks in advance...

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted February 03 2003 - 05:22 PM

Why spend so much on a player if you'll only use it w/ s-video to an old TV for another year?

If you already have a player, I suggest just wait until you do your TV upgrade.

If you don't have a player, where have you been??? Posted Image Might be better off just buying a cheap player now to match your current TV and upgrade along w/ the TV upgrade later.

For example, if you only spend $100 or so now, you can probably get a progressive scan player later for ~$300 that would probably blow away the Panny PR91 or RP82 or the like.

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor

• 920 posts

Posted February 04 2003 - 02:58 PM

Of course I have a DVD Player...actually owned a Panny DVD-A110 at one time.

What I currently use is an older Samsung player, which I'm giving to my Mom to use. I don't need to spend the whole $400 - that is my budget,& my limit.

While I know that something better will come out down the road - at least I know if I can pick up a prog. scan at a halfway decent price - I'll be able to utilize that the day I do get my HDTV.

So...any recommendations?

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Jim.Bennett

Jim.Bennett

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted February 04 2003 - 05:20 PM

It seems the RP82 has been discontinued by Panasonic. Not sure exactly why as it was/is wildly popular and very highly rated. Apparently they are very hard to find now.... looking for one myself.

Jim

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted February 05 2003 - 01:25 PM

Well, if you don't care about scaling/aspect ratio control features or region-free, PAL->NTSC playback or good audio quality for anything other than DD/DTS digital output or build quality, then the primary candidates would be the Panny RP82 or XP30 or CP70 or maybe the XP50. The XP30 is supposed to be just as good as the RP82 while the CP70 is a changer that's supposed to be fairly close in PQ. The jury's still out for the XP50. Check the Secrets' shootout for fairly comprehensive comparative reviews:

http://www.hometheat....ut-1-2003.html

Some people do prefer players that didn't do well in the shootout for one reason or another. Could be one or more of the above mentioned. Could simply be a different weighting of what matters for PQ or just overall subjective PQ. Could also be price or even be little things like quality of the remote.

If you know you want a Panny RP82, then the XP30 will probably do.

Me? I'm also shopping w/ a similar budget, but I'm doing it for my newly bought HDTV. Posted Image And given the potentials of the newly released Philips 963sa (and its seeming lack of fulfillment thus far) in a market that lacks a real competitor for its potentials, I'm still sitting on the fence. I'm hoping the 963sa will do everything that the Panny RP82 can PLUS all the other things I mentioned above. So far, its scaling/aspect ratio control features still need some work/revision and quality control seems a little suspect. Also, it has yet to be reviewed in a Secrets' shootout. So all in all, the jury's still out.

If you have some patience, you might want to wait and see just like me.

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)