What's new

To Quote Moe: "Oh, Dear God No!" The Next Superman to be... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Joe Millionaire?

Just saw a report on Fox 5 News NY, that he's read for the part of Clark Kent himself. They also mentioned Lara Flinn Boyl wants to be Lois Lane. I know the name, but don't really know who the heck that is.

Are the Studio Execs really stupid enough to consider him for the part? If Otis is in the new movie, he's be a better fit for that character than anything else ;).

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
FWIW, I could have "read for the part", I suppose. I can't imagine he's a viable candidate. Reading for the part does not translate into being in serious consideration.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
They're having the same problem Donner did. Finding a good person. hell, they screen tested his wife's dentist. Joe looks sorta like what Superman would, so they take a chance

I'm much more worried about the Ashton Kutcher screen test going "really really well"

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Ashton Kutcher is a lot more versatile than he gets credit for. Superman is just the thing to break him out of his pigeonhole.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm telling y'all, Evan Marriott, with his hair slicked back, looks a lot like Captain Marvel (alter ego Billy Batson).

Evan's voice is too gravelly to be playing Supes, anyhow.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
I'm with you, Patrick. His eyes and jaw look very similar to the way C.C. Beck first drew him, and in more recent incarnations, to the way Alex Ross paints him...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
His exterior has nothing to do with it

Can he play the part? I severely doubt it

THey should be looking for Christopher Reeve 2K3, not some cute face. Hell, we have the technology, get some hunky guy on there, and computer map Chris's face on top of him.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Ashton Kutcher? Oh God no. I can see it now...

Superman approaches Lex Luthor...

Superman: Dude, where's the kryptonite?

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I tend not to immediately say "there's no way so-and-so can play such-and-such" anymore. The last time I said that, it was about Tom Cruise in Interview With The Vampire. Then I went to see the film and he knocked me out.

Who knows? Some of these guys could be really good as Superman. Hell, Mister Mom was a pretty good Batman. :D

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Superman: Luthor, you're coming with me.

Luthor: And then?

Superman: And then I'm taking you to jail.

Luthor: And then?

Superman: NO MORE AND THEN!

;)

Okay, it'd be hard for me to get past that. But as long as he doesn't stand around with his mouth hanging open, I'll probably be okay.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Hell, Mister Mom was a pretty good Batman"

I cant disagree enough with that.

Neil,
Heres a pic of Lara Flynn Boyle,who I also think would be a bad choice.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
THey should be looking for Christopher Reeve 2K3, not some cute face. Hell, we have the technology, get some hunky guy on there, and computer map Chris's face on top of him.
No, they should be looking for Superman. Figure out how they want to portray Superman in the new movie, audition some people, and make sure they are not beholden to trying to be like Reeve.

There's nothing in Kutcher's filmography to indicate he'd be a good fit for the part, and I think he might be a little young-looking, but I could be convinced - he's physically right for the role and his voice is flexible enough to give him different "sounds" as Clark and Kal.

I wonder why nobody's talking up Brendan Fraser, though - it seems like the obvious thing to do.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I still think Jude Law would make a fantastic, Steve Rude-esque Superman.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'd like to see Jude Law as Marvelman/Miracleman. He'd be a perfect fit: lean, intelligent, British, everyman.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I'm surprised at all of you. Evan Marriott might be great as Superman. He looks the part (something Christopher Reeve really didn't -- he had red hair, and he was tall and skinny) and he has a certain gravity. Remember, he doesn't have to ad lib, just remember lines somebody else has written. Maybe this is the way to break out of Joe Millionaire.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>>

"Dude, where's my glasses? I can't change disguises without my glasses. Did I get drunk and change into bad Superman again?"

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
How about that guy who played "Puddy" on Seinfeld? You know... the "high-five/ask the eight-ball" guy.

James T

Screenwriter
I heard about the Joe Millionaire thing a couple weeks ago...I posted it somewhere here, I just can't remember/find the link.

I never thought about it until someone responded to what I posted, but they don't see Joe Millionaire as Superman, but more like a frat boy. They said the same thing about Dean Cain. Now they put that frat boy image in my head...

I think they should go with an unknown or Tom Welling. Jude Law, Brenden Fraser, Josh Hartnett or Ashtun Kutcher are all pretty popular celebrities. WB wants a Superman franchise, not a one shot movie. Big name celebs will draw more people, but will limit the stars other roles.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
How about that guy who played "Puddy" on Seinfeld? You know... the "high-five/ask the eight-ball" guy.
Actually, Patrick Warburton has already played Superman - he did the voice for the animated one in that Jerry Seinfeld AmEx commercial ("mostly they ask me to bend stuff").

I have a hard time seeing him as Clark Kent, though, and his voice is a little too deep - almost a charicature.

And besides, he's The Tick. How do you play another superhero after having been The Tick? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks