Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Once again - Alternatives to Bose?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted February 03 2003 - 07:15 AM

Okay, I know this has been kicked around before, but I wasn’t paying attention because I had no interest in the subject. Well, now I do. Posted Image

A friend of a friend has asked for my help getting into surround sound, and he floated the Bose name. He said he had seen a Bose system at Sam’s for around $600, and I told him we could probably do better for that money.

So, now I need to pony up some alternatives! Because of his room, the speakers really need to be small like the Bose. We could go for something a little larger, like a 4” two-way, but that’s probably about it. He didn’t indicate a budget and seems open to spending more than the $600 if the difference can be justified in terms of performance.

So – what do you guys (and gals) recommend?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#2 of 16 BradJudy

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted February 03 2003 - 07:33 AM

Energy Take 5.2 can be had for under $600 and fit the bill.

#3 of 16 JeremyFr

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts

Posted February 03 2003 - 08:44 AM

ok its going to depend on if you want a system complete with sub or just satellites no sub.

If you want a complete system with sub then I highly recommend the Energy Take 5+1's they will walk all over Bose for sound quality and volume. They come complete with an 8" powered sub that features a 100watt RMS 400Watt Peak Subwoofer 4 perfectly matched satelites with a 3.25" woofer and 3/4" tweeter. and a center channel with 2 3.25" woofers and the same tweeter. This system sounds phenominal for the money (between 600-700 depending on retailer)

If you like to see the Take 5+1's you can check out my home theater at http://home.attbi.co...eremy.franklin/

Now if you want a great system with no sub same price range then the take 5.2's are for you. The 5.2s are a slightly upgraded package to the 5+1's the satelites are ported where the original take 5's were not, as well as slighty upgraded driver's all in all either way would be a great system.
For those of you who know your job is to teach.
For those of you who dont know your job is to learn.

#4 of 16 Scott McC.

Scott McC.

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted February 03 2003 - 09:05 AM

Check out the Paradigm Cinema Series, it's ultra cheap, and has above average sound, comparable to the Atoms, IMO. You can also go with the energies, which are superb speakers
*all tech is good tech*

#5 of 16 Nick V

Nick V

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted February 03 2003 - 09:36 AM

You could go with one of the satellite packages from polk audio. I used to have the RM-6500's and loved them for my small home theater room. They have silk dome tweeters, and offer a good alternative to the energy's and paradigm's if he prefers that type of sound. You can check out the Polk sub/sat systems here:

http://www.polkaudio....php?category=2

Also, the JBL NSP1 package has received much praise on this forum for being the price:performance leader in small speakers. If you packaged those up with a decent sub, it could make a killer entry level system. You can check that out here:

http://www.jbl.com/h....Id=NOR&sCatId=

#6 of 16 Frank Carter

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

• 1,188 posts

Posted February 03 2003 - 09:42 AM

Are JBL's NSP-1 too large? These are some amazing little speakers.

#7 of 16 Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson

Second Unit

• 416 posts

Posted February 03 2003 - 09:53 AM

I don't recall the exact price, but in terms of style, Anthony Gallo Micro's may fit the bill: www.roundsound.com

#8 of 16 Iver

Iver

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted February 03 2003 - 09:54 AM

Here are some system suggestions from our Canadian friends at
Paradigm.

#9 of 16 DaveZeisler

DaveZeisler

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted February 03 2003 - 10:07 AM

Maybe this info will help. I inquired to Bose about their products, and this was the responce I got. (Disclaimer: at no time did I actally consider buying Bose! Posted Image ) Why am I posting this? I dunno, why not? We like picking on Bose and this is what Bose's own rep said about their own products.

Sent: 01/16/2003 12:09:51
To: support
Subject: Home Products

I've looked all over the Bose web site reading information about your Acoustimass systems. I'm doing some field research before I decide on a puchase. I've found many articles about how the Bose systems look and how they're supposed to sound, but I haven't found any specifications on the actual freqency range response (on and off axis), sensitivity, minimum or nominal impedance, or recommended input power. This information is very important to me when piecing together my home theater.

If you could let me know where to find this or if you could send this information my way, I'd be very appreciative! Thanks!

Date: Mon Jan 20 2003, 1:04 PM GMT-06:00
To: davez
Subject: Re: Home Products

*****To reply to this message, please select the reply button. To help us expedite your inquiry, please be sure to include our original response.******

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Bose does not publish these specifications. The reason for this is that we believe that such statistics do not add very much to an understanding of an audio product's acoustic characteristics and, even worse, can be misleading. Audio manufacturers make these measurements independent of industry standards, and in varying conditions. Additionally, a single statistic is not a reliable measurement of a product's performance. One could, for instance, find a very expensive system with exactly the same specifications as a much less expensive system. On paper, the two would appear identical. The difference in performance, however, would be significant. A better approach, we feel, is to listen to the product. We strongly urge you to make your own comparisons. Bose systems will surpass your expectations.

For more information, or to place an order, please call our agents at: (800) 999-2673, ext. EM1

Thank you for choosing Bose Corporation
Customer Support Team

#10 of 16 ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted February 03 2003 - 10:16 AM

Check out the Paradigm Cinema Series, it's ultra cheap, and has above average sound, comparable to the Atoms, IMO.

Yep. Paradigm Cinema series is about the same as the Performance series, but small. Not as much of a bargain, and a sub is necessary for music, although for HT it'd be necessary anyway. Great value still, tough to beat, and relatively easy to find and audition for yourself. You may be hard-pressed to keep under $600 with that if you stay with a small Paradigm sub, you might want to take a look at the Sony WM40 if you can find a good deal. Regarded as a solid entry-level sub, and I've heard it briefly, and seems like a solid unit for the price. If a receiver is included in this price-range too, that will limit options considerably, but I think a decent receiver and Paradigms and a decent sub will trash the little Sams-club Bose system. Who goes to sams club to buy audio equipment anyway... Posted Image

A better approach, we feel, is to listen to the product. We strongly urge you to make your own comparisons.

WHOA! I actually agree with a Bose rep. Scary. Regardless, that is good advice, as I am sure you know Wayne. Take your friend on a listen, it's always fun. Don't forget those Paradigm Titans too... those are only like $220/pr and are an insane value. Bookshelf sized, but they can stand their own on most music.

#11 of 16 Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted February 03 2003 - 12:00 PM

Wayne:

A buyer's guide to 5.1 speaker systems with MSRP's ranging from $400 USD to $1000 USD can be found at http://hometheater.valuecanuck.com.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

#12 of 16 Jose G

Jose G

Supporting Actor

• 568 posts

Posted February 03 2003 - 03:45 PM

Have you seen this link yet? It has alternative systems to consider also. About Bose and what can I get instead?

#13 of 16 DeT

DeT

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted February 03 2003 - 05:25 PM

DaveZeisler, Wow, I got the exact same email from Bose like yours when I ask for the spec

Quote:
Dear De,

Thank you for your inquiry. Bose does not publish these specifications. The
reason for this is that we believe that such statistics do not add very much
to an understanding of an audio product's acoustic characteristics and, even
worse, can be misleading. Audio manufacturers make these measurements
independent of industry standards, and in varying conditions. Additionally,
a single statistic is not a reliable measurement of a product's performance.
One could, for instance, find a very expensive system with exactly the same
specifications as a much less expensive system. On paper, the two would
appear identical. The difference in performance, however, would be
significant. A better approach, we feel, is to listen to the product. We
strongly urge you to make your own comparisons. Bose systems will surpass
your expectations.

Thank you for choosing Bose Corporation.
Patrick Callahan
Customer Support Team

#14 of 16 Andy Sz

Andy Sz

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted February 04 2003 - 02:41 AM

Take a look at my review of the HTD Middies. I compare them to the Bose AM-6III.

#15 of 16 Rajeev_s

Rajeev_s

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts

Posted February 04 2003 - 03:39 AM

Hi Brad,
Where can I find Energy Take 5.2 for under $600.
ThanksPosted Image

#16 of 16 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted February 04 2003 - 11:10 AM

Thanks everyone! I’m sure we’ll have no problem finding something suitable now.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews