Rahul Malik

Auditioning
Hi
I was thinking about purchasing the following setup:

- Paradigm Phantoms for fronts
- Paradigm c270 center speaker
- Paradigm Atoms for rear speakers
Driven by a Denon 2802 receiver

I have heard the setup and it sounds pretty sweet. What are your opinions on this system? I was also considering Monitor Audio speakers - their Bronze series. Anyone have any reviews on these speakers?

Thanks
Rahul

DonJ

Second Unit
I would change the Denon to and HK which complements Paradigm very well.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Here are a few reviews of the Monitor Audio Bronze series.

Secrets of Home Theater & Hifi review

You don't hear/read much of them because they're a British speaker company, but they're pretty good. I'd say brand wise they're higher end than Paradigm, but I'm not familiar with the Bronze series so I don't know how is it compared to the Paradigm Phantoms and Atoms.

Andy Young

Stunt Coordinator
Just bought that exact speaker setup with the PDR-12 also. $1,150. I am driving them with a Pioneer VSX-26TX receiver.

Visually, the speakers are amazing. I ordered them in the rosenut (dark cherry) veneer and they are very nice looking. The grill covers come off the Phantoms and CC-270, if you like to show off the white/metallic drivers. Phantoms are a nice sized main speaker. The Atoms are nice for surrounds, but the wire jacks on back make it difficult to wall mount them. The CC-270 is huge, but sounds great.

The Phantoms and 270 give an amazing sound stage. Dialog is clear and fills the room. No localization or tinny/boxy sounds. Sounds that pan across the front are totally seemless. I haven't really listened to music, yet.

I bought the Phantoms sight unseen after demoing the Titans versus B&W 600, 601 and 602. My ears preferred the Paradigm speakers hands down -- wasn't even close.

The PDR-12 shakes the house on about 60% volume using the THX standard 80Hz crossover. The sub is in an open room with vaulted ceilings and still delivers strong bass. Never did any comparisons between subs, though, so I can't really draw any relative strengths/weaknesses.

Movies are so much more entertaining to watch with my new speakers. I'm extremely pleased with my new 5.1 set-up ... even more pleased that it was such a cost-effective purchase.

Good luck.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
The Denon 3802, 3803 2802, HK 520, 525 , 325 and the Pioneer Elites are all very good. Don't forget Onkyo also.

Look for the features you want atthe price point that's good for you. Takes a lot of research but we are here to answer questions.

They all will work well with paradigm.

Mike

Paradigm Studio 40's Front
Studio CC
Studio ADP's Rear
Definitive Pro 100 Sub
Bose AM-10's second room
Pioneer 45 TX
Pioneer SX -1080
Toshiba 57HDX82
Toshiba DVD
& Other assorted junk.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would also consider a smaller monitor speaker and CC-370 for the fronts. For about $80 more total you could get monitor 5s and a CC-370. For about the same total price you could get Monitor 3s and a CC-370 for the front.

Atoms should still be plenty for the surrounds, but the Titans are noticeably better for only $25 more a pair.

Also, the 2802 would make a great match with the Monitor series. It has a slightly warm sound which when matched with the slightly brighter monitor series (Titanium dome tweeter) gives a very neutral sound that won't be fatiguing at all.

I have the 3 matching Paradigm 3SE MK3s (predecessor to the current Monitor 3s) in the front, Titans on the sides, and Atoms in the back, all powered by a Denon 1803. The 1803 has been said to be a bit thin sounding compared to the 2802 and 1802, but it still puts out full rich sound from my 3SE MK3s. Even the Titans as mains sounded great, but it was a big step up to the 3SE MK3s. I used them for about a week while waiting for my 3SE MK3s to come in.

Hope this helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks