What's new

Wonderful Days...a Korean anime masterpiece? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
Let's hope so! I have no idea what this movie is about, but the GORGEOUS trailer and really great (though slow) website show promise. Without knowing anything about the storyline, this looks to be a visual masterpiece of epic proportions, the likes of which American animation can only dream about. Gorgeous futuristic backdrops, like some mad blending of Blade Runner & Giger drawings, exquisitely detailed cel animation blended with unbelievable looking CGI makes this one look like a winner.

I think this will be released in April in Asia, and given the fact that an "English" version of the site is offered already, it may eventually be released here in the U.S....here's to hoping that happens!

Beautiful Days' beautiful website!

If only animation studios here in the old U.S. of A. could create something like this! (it'll never happen)

-Dennis

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The plot is on the english site. (Which I can't seem to access right now...)

I've seen the trailer some time ago and it does look beautiful.

Jason

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
That website is damn slow! Every once in a while I get in...I managed to download the QT teaser trailer from there last night, and it's fantastic...they have some amazing still images available also, which showcase the beauty of this anime. But if you're patient, it is worth the wait... :)

-Dennis

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
That would require it having a US licensor. A year, maybe 2 at least

I wouldn't be shocked at all by an anamorphic DD/DTS R0 with english subs official Korean release tho

Lowell_B

Second Unit
After being able to download the teaser trailer from the slow site I think I can safely say that it looks amazing. Let's hope it's not just visuals because it definately shows some major promise. A nice R0 Anamorphic DVD with English Subs would be welcome too. :)

Lowell

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
That hated site "Aint it Cool News" :) also has a recent article posted about this anime, with some typical Knowles ranting...BUT it boasts several cool stills that load much quicker than the official site's 300 baud modem allow!! :D

I suggest y'all check out the stills over there if ya haven't been able to get to the trailer yet...

-Dennis

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm gettin 90KB/sec out of it

And it's not anime as it's not of Japanese origin, even though much anime is inbetweened by Koreans :)

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
Just curious...do you guys think we're at the point yet when the term "anime" no longer specifically refers to animation from Japan exclusively? Anime seems to have transcended that notion and become a "style" of animation. And a lot of Americans are involved in many Japanese animation studios at this point...and a lot of the work is farmed out to Korea. Hmmm...one that note, I wonder if we'll ever see a completely 100% "American" production that looks completely "Japanese" in style?

(If we have already, someone enlighten me! :))

-Dennis

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Anime is specifically animation originating in Japan. Under your more broad definition, GI Joe is anime because it was animated at Toei

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm downloading the Teaser Trailer now. It'll be done in less than 10 minutes.

BTW, is there supposed to be a way to get the Trailer or can you only get the Teaser Trailer?

Lowell_B

Second Unit
Morgan, I'm pretty sure that's just a placeholder for the full trailer until it becomes available. The Teaser is the only one that you can get so far.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
I definitely understand your point Jeff, but I'm not sure the "style" of the animation of GI Joe matches well (or at all) with what I'd call "anime", the way the characters are drawn is distinctly "western", regardless of whether it was produced by a Japanese animation studio. My view is more that anime is a style at this point, that can be created by artists from anywhere, not just Japan, the same way that Americans can make pizza, not just Italians! :)

On the subject of the film, since the site says it'll be released in April?, the full trailer should be out sometime soon...and at least the teaser is a lot longer than most typical Hollywood teasers (and shows a lot of great stuff already)...

-Dennis

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Well, Dennis, I'm assuming the term "anime" defines a style like "French New Wave". Sure, anyone can do a film in that style, but unless it's from a French filmmaker, then it's not really French New Wave. It's just a rip-off done by someone who likes the style. Semantics, to be sure, but it's a viable argument.

But back on topic, the trailer looks really good. I've got high hopes for this one.

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
I thought most Japanese people called all animation anime. At least that's the conclusion I came to especially after watching a bunch of documentaries on anime dvds, especially the Cowboy Bebop making of special where Yoko Kanno was talking about the show.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yes John, but I don't agree with even your example. You use it only because the nationality is listed in the name of the genre.

Otherwise what about the "western", "film noir", etc.

Did Leone make a western even though he's not American and did not film in America?

Did American's only make film noirs? And if so then isn't there a bit of irony in the fact that it took the French to define an exclusively American genre?

I think Dennis has a very good point actually. Do we call all animation out of Japan anime no matter what the style is? Or is there also certain indicators that say this isn't just animation, its anime as the genre defines it (in style not nationality)?

I mean "first country to do Science Fiction gets to claim it, all others are just ripping them off" seems a little silly to me.

Certainly the Soviet Montage style is still used and referenced that way, even though it's clear that it's not Eisenstien or Vertov making the film, and despite the fact that it is often used only as an influence on certain sections of film.

No one says "and here Scorsese is using the Soviet Montage style...er, except he isn't because he's not Russian". (example taken from the recent NPR interview where he said that he was using this style for at least one of the fight scenes, he even referenced a specific Potemkin ship kitchen scene).

A group of filmmakers ALWAYS are the first to define a genre, BUT that doesn't mean other filmmakers are excluded from that genre. Especially by something as shallow as race/nationality. We don't even exclude other filmmakers from genres by time. (sorry, no more westerns, those were in the 30-50's only)

Dennis, I think it's a darn good topic. ;):D
Maybe it needs it's own thread.

Lowell_B

Second Unit
Great post Seth. I'm of the opinion that if it looks like Anime, it's Anime. I think Anime has become a style of animation all it's own and it doesn't really matter if it's made in Korea, or Japan. Anime is more of a specific genre of animation than just any animated movie made in Japan. Just my 2 cents.

Lowell

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks