Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

X-Box shortages?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 OFFLINE   Corey Hancock

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 09:20 PM

Over at Msnbc, they are saying that the X-box will likely ship out 300,000 units on Nov 8th. The article said that Microsoft is shooting for 600,000-800,00 units on launch day though. Looks like Microsoft might pull a Sony.
http://www.msnbc.com/news/631424.asp

Corey

#2 of 26 OFFLINE   Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson

Screenwriter

• 1,946 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 10:18 PM

I could be wrong but even at 300,000 units I don't see the Box release being anything like the PS2. At this point Microsoft has neither the games nor the reputation to sell as many systems as Sony or Nintendo.

#3 of 26 OFFLINE   Corey Hancock

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 11:25 PM

I do agree with you Carl. What I meant by them pulling a Sony was that they stated a large nubmer of systems would be avaiable at launch, and it looks like they aren't going to make it. The article may be wrong though. They may make it. But it doesn't look good for MS, looks good for Nintendo though.

Corey

[Edited last by Corey Hancock on September 20, 2001 at 06:26 AM]

#4 of 26 OFFLINE   Camp

Camp

Screenwriter

• 2,303 posts

Posted September 20 2001 - 02:48 AM

I think it's safe to say Xbox will be slightly less common than GameCube in the first couple weeks of release. Microsoft knows this and is placing recomended limits on the number of units retailers reserve (of course, its up to the retailer to cut reserves).

It won't be nearly as bad as PS2 though. If I averaged out the number of units my company will be receiving it would come to 100 per store on launch day. That's about double the average number per store of the initial PS2 allotment.

#5 of 26 OFFLINE   Leroy

Leroy

Second Unit

• 306 posts

Posted September 20 2001 - 04:17 AM

Well, I'm not too sure either launch(Gamecube or X-Box) will do what the Dreamcast/PS2 launches did(as far as quantity, and yes the Dreamcast did quite well on it's launch).

But, for word straight from the horses mouth go to www.videogames.com and check the news section for an interview with Microsoft's Ed Fries about the launch.

Sounds like you WILL be able to pick up a loose X-Box console and avoid the bundles, at least that's what I go out of it.
I rule all that I survey...and that ain't much.

#6 of 26 OFFLINE   Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts

Posted September 20 2001 - 07:17 AM

I think you guys are forgetting a "slightly" larger problem that Microsoft can do little about:

our economy, this holiday season, is in the shitter.

Usually a bad thing when you're trying to get people to buy your products.

IMHO, there will be PLENTY of XBox's to go around. No one needs one, alot may want one but, when you don't know how long the paycheck is going to keep coming in or, if the paycheck is going to go down, the last thing you're thinking about is a videogame system.

------------------
"...better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it". - Slater, True Romance

Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.

#7 of 26 OFFLINE   Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted September 20 2001 - 08:53 AM

Quote:
I think you guys are forgetting a "slightly" larger problem that Microsoft can do little about:
our economy, this holiday season, is in the shitter.

Of course, this problem won't be limited to MS. Nintendo will face the same. The GC already had a lack-luster Japanese launch with some stores reporting only a 50% sell through for the console on launch day (which is unusal for Japan).

I'm still planning on attempting to pick up an XBOX Nov 8th.

Aaron

You don't remember because back then it was only a prophecy, but now, in the future, the past has occurred. - A.T.H.F.

#8 of 26 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,158 posts

Posted September 20 2001 - 09:21 AM

Aaron-

Keep in mind that Nintendo launched the GCN with only 3 games. Considering that it only plays games, and that those 3 games are exactly titles that gamers are looking forward to as the huge GCN games, it doesn't surprise me that it sold badly. I don't think Nintendo was expecting much, which is why they didn't hype it like Sony or Sega did for their Next-Gen consoles.

The GCN will launch in America with 1.1 million units. The X-Box hopefully with 6-800,000. I doubt either will sell out their entire launch stock (or equivalent numbers) before December. With the PS2 games picking up and the fact that there are no real big hit titles for GCN/XB at launch, I wouldn't be surprised to see them sell out their entire launch stock until a week or two before Xmas.

#9 of 26 OFFLINE   Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted September 20 2001 - 11:50 AM

Even if the proposed number of Xbox consoles is not met, it sounds like there will be a lot released every week. I believe that number was 150,000 a week, so the quanity will meet the demand. As for Xbox not having the release games, I believe this to be the best launch yet. PS2 sold a lot of units but didn't have the games which the Xbox does. The only other time I've been impressed with a launch was the Dreamcast, they did an amazing job.

#10 of 26 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,158 posts

Posted September 20 2001 - 12:23 PM

I don't think you can really judge a console by launch games, but I think Nintendo has a higher good launch titles to overall number of launch titles ratio than the X-Box. Even if the XB games are better, $200 for a smaller console is a little more appealing (even if it is a little less powerful, which the XB will be compared to PCs by next summer anyway).

That 150,000 units was a number proposed by Ed Fries during an interview with GameSpot. So far, they aren't manufacturing consoles, and they are proposing 150,000 units a week being made, not shipped. Even so, they haven't started production yet, and Ed Fries has proven to me and others that he really doesn't know what he's talking about. His job is probably to tell people to "get to work" and "update the status of your projects" and nothing along the lines of "actually know what you're talking about." He also said in the interview that the X-Box will have progressive scan DVD, but the feature is neither included with the X-Box (must be purchased separately) and isn't even available with the DVD ability at all or ever (from what everything else says).

Even so, Nintendo will have more units available. Even if they produce 150,000 units a week, they will have to have at least 800,000 units by XB launch to equal Nintendo's launch by the time the GCN comes out.

#11 of 26 OFFLINE   Wolf Jenkins

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted September 20 2001 - 12:37 PM

I'm confused:

* MS says they can produce 150k per week
* there is still - what - 7 weeks until launch
* they have been shooting for 600k units at launch

Thus, they just need to produce for 4 weeks to meet that number, right? So, even if they have yet to start, as long as they start in early October, they should meet the 600k goal, right?

My HT equipment list: http://www.hometheat...ment/28518.html

#12 of 26 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted September 20 2001 - 12:54 PM

Quote:
I think Nintendo has a higher good launch titles to overall number of launch titles ratio than the X-Box.
Who cares? This is an argument even more pointless than "load times". If I go in to Toys R Us and see four 'Cube games, three of which look good vs. fifteen Xbox games, six of which look good, I'm pretty sure that I'd come away thinking Microsoft has the better lineup at launch.
Quote:
Even if the XB games are better, $200 for a smaller console is a little more appealing (even if it is a little less powerful, which the XB will be compared to PCs by next summer anyway).
So, what you're saying is that GameCube < Xbox < PC, so advantage GameCube? And I thought it was all about the games.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#13 of 26 OFFLINE   Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor

• 975 posts

Posted September 20 2001 - 01:10 PM

Yawn, more fluff to fill the news gaps. I don't think anyone is going to have a problem getting a Xbox before Christmas. Sony sure screwed up everyone's confidence in gaming companies to release enough product, why don't we all protest by selling our PS2s and buy Xboxes to make a point. Posted Image

Dean

#14 of 26 OFFLINE   Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted September 20 2001 - 02:12 PM

Cause no one wants the PS2's! Posted Image

#15 of 26 OFFLINE   AndyVX

AndyVX

Supporting Actor

• 808 posts

Posted September 20 2001 - 02:24 PM

I still wanted a PS2, and I just bought it last week. I will still be getting a Gamecube at launch, and an Xbox 3 or 4 weeks later(or even a few days later...depends on my budget).

Right now, the PS2 is still the place to go for RPG's.

Anyways, can anyone tell me, or point me to a site that has the full Xbox game lineup for it's launch? (if it's even been finalized yet?)

Thanks.

Andrew
Andrew

#16 of 26 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,158 posts

Posted September 21 2001 - 07:19 AM

J6P is going to walk into a toy store and see three consoles: the PS2, the XB, and the GCN. He can get the PS2, which he has heard so much about (such as how bad the launch went and how there is nothing for it) or he can get the XB (which is made by a company who doesn't make consoles) or the GCN (which is made by Nintendo, one of the best first party game makers, and also $100 less than the other two consoles). He will probably pick the GCN. That is what my argument was. If you base it on power, then he should wait until next spring and spend a few thousand on an ultra powerful PC rather than a few hundred on a less powerful console. I don't think people are willing to do that.

MS will be able to make the 150k a week. That means that they will be able to in the future (not right now) make around 150k a week at optimum performance. I doubt they will make exactly 150k every week, probably a little more or less each week. Also, GCNs are already being made, whereas the XB has yet to be manufactured.

#17 of 26 OFFLINE   Joseph S

Joseph S

Screenwriter

• 2,865 posts

Posted September 21 2001 - 09:49 AM

Release has been delayed til the 15th.
http://news.excite.c....oft-xbox-delay

Quote:
Microsoft to Delay Xbox U.S. Release
Updated:*Fri,*Sep*21*2:29*PM*EDT

By ALLISON LINN, AP Business Writer

SEATTLE (AP) - Microsoft Corp. will delay by one week the U.S. release of its Xbox game console system and is refusing to say how many units will be available on the later launch date.

The software giant's planned new computer game system - its first real foray into the hardware business - will now be available Nov. 15, the company said Friday.

John O'Rourke, director of Xbox sales and marketing, refused to give a specific reason for the delay. However, he said the decision had nothing to do with the terrorist attacks and the impact on the nation's economy.

"We just looked at a bunch of things and just simply said, 'You know, Nov. 15 is going to be the right date,"' O'Rourke said.

Microsoft also is no longer making firm predictions about how many units will be in stores at launch. Previously, the company said it would ship 600,000 to 800,000 machines for the now-scrapped Nov. 8 launch. O'Rourke said the company was no longer using that number, but wouldn't elaborate.

#18 of 26 OFFLINE   Camp

Camp

Screenwriter

• 2,303 posts

Posted September 21 2001 - 09:54 AM

Quote:
"We just looked at a bunch of things and just simply said, 'You know, Nov. 15 is going to be the right date,"' O'Rourke said.

That sounds scientific.

#19 of 26 OFFLINE   Kelley_B

Kelley_B

Screenwriter

• 2,329 posts

Posted September 21 2001 - 09:58 AM

Its elementary my dear Camp.

#20 of 26 OFFLINE   Shawn O

Shawn O

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted September 21 2001 - 11:07 AM