What's new

Another Hitchcock Film on DVD soon! (1 Viewer)

Thomas Hart

Stunt Coordinator
It seems that All Day Entertainment is going to release Hitchcock's silent film "The Lodger" very soon.

From All Day Entertainment's Latest News section:

Alfred Hitchcock's The Lodger

"The first true Hitchcock movie" according to the man himself, Alfred Hitchcock. Film scholar Paul Jensen says that the film "evokes the later Hitchcock thrillers." This was Hitch's first thriller, a Jack the Ripper tale of paranoia, suspicion, mistaken identity, and sheer terror--all the ingredients were there, and it also boasts the first of Hitchcock's sneaky cameos.

This one's been on video before, even bargain bin DVD, but it's never looked very good. Time, ahem, to fix that.

New digital transfer at correct projection speed
New musical setting
Collection of theatrical previews of Hitchcock's films
Audio Commentary

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Nice. I've been waiting for this. On the Criterion 39 Steps there is a program that wet my appetite for some of the early Hitchcock titles.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I recall rumors that Fox was prepping THE LODGER, to be double-featured with some other early talkie (HANGOVER SQUARE, maybe?).... did that project fall by the wayside? Or did I imagine it altogether?

All Day Entertainment? Never heard of 'em. Can anybody vouch for 'em? Can we expect a quality release?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
All Day has done some quality releases of rare, obscure titles, so I trust them to do a good job with this one.

Fox's version of THE LODGER is not Hitchcock's silent version but is the 1944 version starring Laird Cregar, who also stars in 1945's HANGOVER SQUARE.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Thanks for the clarification, Peter... I'll be picking up All Day's edition (barring horrible reviews, that is :D ). I'm always up for a good Hitch fix!

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
I have so far bought 4 titles from All Day Entertainment’s catalog, and I was very pleased with all of them:

THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER (1928) – not much in the way of extras (also because a proposed Bunuel-related supplement fell through at the last minute, hence its being touted a “Collector’s Edition” regardless); a wonderful, dream-like film which left an indelible influence on the horror genre.

THE 1,000 EYES OF DR. MABUSE (1960) – a superb SE of a criminally underrated film, with a nice documentary on Fritz Lang, trailers for the other (ultra-rare) 1960s “Dr. Mabuse” films, an essay on the film, and one of the finest Audio Commentaries I have ever heard (from David Kalat, All Day’s President himself and a veritable authority on all things “Mabuse”; by the way, he also contributed Audio Commentaries for Image Entertainment’s DR. MABUSE, THE GAMBLER (1922) 2-Disc Set, another great release).

THE ASPHYX (1972) – Unfortunately this title, All Day’s first, seems to have now gone OOP; a pity, as it’s a fascinating and delightful little film (which was literally rescued from oblivion by Mr. Kalat, and made available for the very first time in a decent Widescreen print) that comes off as an intellectual “Hammer” film, which is not in itself a bad thing!

GANJA & HESS (1973) – I had only recently heard about this ‘revisionist’ cult horror classic (another much-maligned film that existed in several different versions, and which All Day restored to the closest approximation of the Director’s Cut as they could get, for the first time in 25 years, with the help of several of the people who made it); All Day’s SE is another winner with a wonderful Audio Commentary in which surviving members of the cast and crew reminisce about the film and their long-departed colleagues, lead actor Duane Jones and writer/director Bill Gunn, and also includes a lengthy essay on the film’s many guises co-written by the renowned Tim Lucas.

Other titles by All Day I am interested in purchasing are:

THE TESTAMENT OF DR. MABUSE (1962)/THE CRIMES OF DR. MABUSE (1933) – including another Audio Commentary by Kalat.

EDGAR G. ULMER: KING OF THE Bs (THE STRANGE WOMAN [1946]/MOON OVER HARLEM [1939] & BLUEBEARD [1944]) – a 2-Disc Set which is available exclusively from All Day’s website; unfortunately, the individual discs are now OOP (does anyone know where I may still acquire a copy of BLUEBEARD on its own, as this is the one I really want to get?).

STRANGE ILLUSION (1945)

WANTED FOR MURDER (1946)

GUNMAN IN THE STREETS (1950)

DAUGHTER OF DR. JEKYLL (1957)

THE CRY OF THE OWL (1987) – one of Chabrol’s best latterday films, again presented for the first time on home video and including a full-length Audio Commentary.

THE HORROR OF HAMMER – a compilation of Hammer Films trailers, accompanied by an Audio Commentary discussing the studio’s output.

TALES OF FRANKENSTEIN – a compilation of trailers, TV shows and interviews related to the “Frankenstein” creature.

VINCENT PRICE: THE SINISTER IMAGE – another compilation, featuring a lengthy interview with the horror icon, plus a host of other priceless [sic] goodies.

Upcoming DVDs from All Day include:

THE LODGER (1926) – Hitchcock’s first great film, and his best Silent; I’m glad All Day have managed to get their hands on it, and I’m sure to get myself a copy when it’s released!

CHRIST IN CONCRETE (1949; aka: GIVE US THIS DAY) – a little-seen but important picture which, surprisingly, will be afforded the royal treatment on DVD (proof of All Day’s dedication to rescuing “movies that fell through the cracks”).

I wrote to David Kalat after I had bought the aforementioned DVDs I own, congratulating him on their quality. His replies were quite lengthy and informative and, among other things, had also recommended me Kino’s DIE NIBELUNGEN (1924) 2-Disc Set, months before it was even released (as he had already watched theatrically the prints they would be using). I think it is time to drop him a few lines again in regards to THE LODGER!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Lodger, which previously was available as a public domain film, has, by virtue of the GATT Treaty, been reclaimed by its owner.

As long as this release has been licensed, the quality should be excellant.

There are surviving 35mm nitrate tintied elements.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
This is really good news - I certainly hope it's a licensed release - I think AH would be pleased that people want to see this seminal film in close to its original state.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Great news! I'll be looking for it. :emoji_thumbsup:

I'll second Roderick's recommendation of The Asphyx - it's a very interesting little film and worth looking up.

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
I don’t know whether any of you noticed but THE LODGER (1926), inexplicably, seems to have vanished from All Day Entertainment’s website altogether! My brother and I immediately wrote Mr. David Kalat, All Day’s President, an e-mail in order to ask him if he is willing to clarify the situation. Anyway, here’s a reproduction of the letter in full. Let’s all just hope for the best!

“Dear David,

It’s been almost a full year since we last corresponded with you. We have always followed your releases with great interest. Just a few days ago, we came upon a thread in the “Home Theater Forum” discussion board which stated that you were planning to release Alfred Hitchcock’s Silent classic, THE LODGER, which is generally considered to be his first great film.

We have a copy of the film on PAL VHS, but have only watched it once so far. Anyway, we also checked out your site and, yes, we actually came upon the ad for an upcoming DVD release of this film. We cannot tell you how ecstatic we were at this news, especially as it would be included some noteworthy supplements. By the way, here is a link to the thread we mentioned and, as you will see, we contributed our opinions on the matter as well (under Roderick’s name) as well as heralding the excellent work you have been doing in releasing obscure titles these last five years or so:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...82#post1320360

However, just this morning one of us was browsing your website once again, and it appears that the details related to THE LODGER are no longer available! We hope this title has not been cancelled so soon after its initial announcement! We wonder whether you could enlighten us as to its present status.

Once again, we thank you for your dedication and stellar work of the past and, doubtlessly, wish you and your staff all the best in your future endeavors. We eagerly await your earliest reply.

Best regards,

MARIO & RODERICK GAUCI

Naxxar, Malta,

Europe.”

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
All Day has done a stellar job of releasing some older B&W films. I'm hoping that they can use the restored BFI print, which ran once on AMC during one of their Film Preservation Festivals before they turned into a crap channel--the print looked fabulous and miles better than the usual Lodger.

They're not a fly-by-night operation; every one of their releases I've gotten (and I have most of them) has been extremely well done. Pick up their discs whenever you can; you won't be disappointed.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I also have their very fine release of Fall of the House of Usher so I hope that their plans for The Lodger have not fallen through.

I'd also like to see an improved version of Hitchcock's Blackmail.

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
I am sorry to bring you folks more sad news. I have received an e-mail from David Kalat in which he told me that, unfortunately, THE LODGER (1936) has indeed been cancelled.

Mr. Robert Harris has hit the nail squarely on the head, and it seems that Mr. Kalat was unaware of the BFI restoration of the film, which happens to be the sole legitimate version. Apparently, the film’s rights are now with Carlton, which means that I won’t be holding my breath for a DVD release!

Still, I have suggested to Mr. Kalat that he try to contact Carlton and tell them about his honorable intentions of releasing a decent version of the film in the US; maybe the two parties could reach an agreement by which All Day produces the DVD supplements for Carlton, as well as distributing this ‘joint effort’ for the R1 market.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks